PDA

View Full Version : my gripe with windows 7

Pages : [1] 2

wheeljack12
12-05-10, 12:00 AM
Overactivation. With xp and vista, you could change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware and windows didn't ask to activate. When I changed from 4 gtx 480's to one gtx 580, It asked me to activate. That I understand. But when I added a second gtx 580 and a sb xfi titanium fatal1ty champ pci-e, It asks to activate again. Well, I did disable onboard realtek sound when I added the xfi. So, there was 3 changes there, old sound card off, new sound card installed and a second gtx 580. I actually had to buy a second copy of win 7 pro a couple months back because of norton 360 version 4.0. It seemed every time norton 360 did a major update, it somehow screwed around with the hardware hash and forced another activation. It just worries me that ms is now just being greedy with windows 7 with overactivation due to sometimes minimal hardware changes and crappy av software in my case. Didn't complain to anyone, just changed to avg internet security which isn't so stupid to do what symantec does and threw out the norton 360 disk and key. And I had to do that because symantec didn't recognize my pc as the same meaning I was out of licenses even though no hardware was changed at that time but the OS was reinstalled fresh. Dumb *ss symantec will be out of business soon because the average consumer realizes that you can't just reinstall a symantec product without buying more lisences,well you get the picture. I can install avg as many times as I wan't including OS reinstalls because all they care is that you have a key that expires in 1 or 2 years, nothing else. I kept by key from my 1st windows 7 license since they said I had used up all my activations saying it was pretty much banned meaning the key. I was told by a friend that ms releases keys after a 6 month period when they think you have pirated a key which I didn't.

Bearclaw
12-05-10, 12:02 AM
Why did you buy another copy? That makes no sense.

wheeljack12
12-05-10, 12:12 AM
because when I called by phone ms to explain the situation, they didn't listen to me. They just explained protocol for activating windows. I basically mumbled on the phone activation when it asked for the install id to force someone to answer the phone. I asked them why my key and installation id were somehow invalid and they totally blew me off. The same friend who I just mentioned told me to do this because when he worked at a pc shop and they had a client who used up their key activations, they would usually tell them the situation and ms would give them more activations because of circumstance that they weren't piratiing, they were upgrading at the shop or at home. They wouldn't even give a reason why. And I am not jumping to linux or mac because ms doesn't respect hardware and software manufacturer's or their customers who upgrade often. Yes, I should have been more assertive. But in my opinion, I don't have the time to bitch and complain while I have no pc to use due to overactivation. I could see weeks or months of back and forth with ms over it too. Like I said, I kept the 1st key so technically I still have two copies of windows, just one that is in limbo right now.

six_storm
12-05-10, 01:38 PM
I would read this post, but the lack of using paragraphs is hurting my eyes.

Drolfrawd
12-05-10, 02:18 PM
linux is free

Albo
12-05-10, 02:23 PM
I would read this post, but the lack of using paragraphs is hurting my eyes.

this is correct i require periods and commas to be able to read :bleh:

FlakMagnet
12-05-10, 04:14 PM
linux is free

So is an STD.

bacon12
12-05-10, 04:47 PM
Why not just install windows MCE instead of Norton 360?

ViN86
12-05-10, 04:55 PM
Overactivation. With xp and vista, you could change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware and windows didn't ask to activate. When I changed from 4 gtx 480's to one gtx 580, It asked me to activate. That I understand. But when I added a second gtx 580 and a sb xfi titanium fatal1ty champ pci-e, It asks to activate again. Well, I did disable onboard realtek sound when I added the xfi. So, there was 3 changes there, old sound card off, new sound card installed and a second gtx 580. I actually had to buy a second copy of win 7 pro a couple months back because of norton 360 version 4.0. It seemed every time norton 360 did a major update, it somehow screwed around with the hardware hash and forced another activation. It just worries me that ms is now just being greedy with windows 7 with overactivation due to sometimes minimal hardware changes and crappy av software in my case. Didn't complain to anyone, just changed to avg internet security which isn't so stupid to do what symantec does and threw out the norton 360 disk and key. And I had to do that because symantec didn't recognize my pc as the same meaning I was out of licenses even though no hardware was changed at that time but the OS was reinstalled fresh. Dumb *ss symantec will be out of business soon because the average consumer realizes that you can't just reinstall a symantec product without buying more lisences,well you get the picture. I can install avg as many times as I wan't including OS reinstalls because all they care is that you have a key that expires in 1 or 2 years, nothing else. I kept by key from my 1st windows 7 license since they said I had used up all my activations saying it was pretty much banned meaning the key. I was told by a friend that ms releases keys after a 6 month period when they think you have pirated a key which I didn't.

Greedy? Don't blame MS, blame the tens of thousands (if not millions) of people that pirated XP and Vista, totaling millions of dollars in losses for MS.

And there is a method to the activation madness. IIRC, it's based on a point system. Changing a piece of hardware equates to a number of points, tally up enough points, and you have to reactivate.

Why not just install windows MCE instead of Norton 360?

I think you meant MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), not Media Center Edition. ;)

Sean_W
12-05-10, 07:04 PM
Greedy? Don't blame MS, blame the tens of thousands (if not millions) of people that pirated XP and Vista, totaling millions of dollars in losses for MS.

And there is a method to the activation madness. IIRC, it's based on a point system. Changing a piece of hardware equates to a number of points, tally up enough points, and you have to reactivate.

I'm sure Microsoft are crying into their massive bag of billions at the fact that they are losing less than 1% of their earning, to Windows pirates. Microsoft haven't become moral, it's just pure greed.

wheeljack12
12-05-10, 07:12 PM
but there has to be a balance between anti piracy and consumer happiness. The best thing MS can do is have people activate by disk upon installation finish. Like Tages or something like that. Still keep the reactivations though, but be more flexible about what constitutes a reactivation. I agree and understand that MS is pissed by piracy but when you don't protect your media and just the key along with people using corporate keys (that policy will have to be changed) illegally, your asking for problems.

ViN86
12-05-10, 11:25 PM
I'm sure Microsoft are crying into their massive bag of billions at the fact that they are losing less than 1% of their earning, to Windows pirates. Microsoft haven't become moral, it's just pure greed.

You sound like a kid, crying that the kid next to you has more ice cream. It's business, and this is capitalism. I'd be more worried if they weren't trying to increase their net worth.

Besides, Bill and Melinda Gates give billions to charity. What have you given lately? I haven't given anything, so I don't have a leg to stand on.

but there has to be a balance between anti piracy and consumer happiness. The best thing MS can do is have people activate by disk upon installation finish. Like Tages or something like that. Still keep the reactivations though, but be more flexible about what constitutes a reactivation. I agree and understand that MS is pissed by piracy but when you don't protect your media and just the key along with people using corporate keys (that policy will have to be changed) illegally, your asking for problems.

It's all been cracked. And it will continue to be cracked. There's really no solution to piracy besides a physical subscription service where there's no way for a machine to operate without their servers. And from the sound of it, we're not too far away from that (enter cloud).

Sean_W
12-06-10, 08:37 AM
You sound like a kid, crying that the kid next to you has more ice cream. It's business, and this is capitalism. I'd be more worried if they weren't trying to increase their net worth.

Besides, Bill and Melinda Gates give billions to charity. What have you given lately? I haven't given anything, so I don't have a leg to stand on.

The different is, If I was one of those kids, I wouldn't try to get more ice cream off the other kid for my own end, to the point where I have so much ice cream I become greedy. If you want a analogy, there is one for you. I'd be happy with what I have, Microsoft are not, like a lot of greedy companies out there.

A billion sounds a lot but it's down to what percentage they give in accordance with your earnings, so I say they give about the same as I do, which would be around 1%. Microsoft and the Melinda foundation are a separate thing, so you're speaking out of context here.

The term 'greed' fits well with Microsoft, you should look it up.

Yaboze
12-06-10, 09:26 AM
When I went from a C2Q to a i7, I reinstalled and had to activate, which failed and I had to call MS to verify. The activation was fine on reinstall of the C2Q months earlier though. It was the MB/CPU change that did it.

But when I went from a GTX 285 to a GTX 480, it didn't bug me to reactivate.

Sean_W
12-06-10, 12:22 PM
So is an STD.

Lucky for you, if you get Linux, you won't need to take a trip to the doctor, need some cream or have to scratch your genitals every few minutes.

ViN86
12-06-10, 12:54 PM
The different is, If I was one of those kids, I wouldn't try to get more ice cream off the other kid for my own end, to the point where I have so much ice cream I become greedy. If you want a analogy, there is one for you. I'd be happy with what I have, Microsoft are not, like a lot of greedy companies out there.

A billion sounds a lot but it's down to what percentage they give in accordance with your earnings, so I say they give about the same as I do, which would be around 1%. Microsoft and the Melinda foundation are a separate thing, so you're speaking out of context here.

The term 'greed' fits well with Microsoft, you should look it up.

Let's just say your opinion isn't exactly unbiased on this topic and agree to disagree. :lol:

Sean_W
12-06-10, 01:26 PM
Let's just say your opinion isn't exactly unbiased on this topic and agree to disagree. :lol:

haha, well not really. Microsoft are just another greedy company I don't give money to by buying their products. Lucky for me, I have friends who work in IT, so I get OEM Windows to use for gaming and give no money to Microsoft. Win, win for me. :)

ViN86
12-06-10, 01:38 PM
haha, well not really. Microsoft are just another greedy company I don't give money to by buying their products. Lucky for me, I have friends who work in IT, so I get OEM Windows to use for gaming and give no money to Microsoft. Win, win for me. :)

LOL yea I get all my copies of Windows through campus licensing mostly, so I haven't paid them for an OS in the past 7 years.

Sean_W
12-06-10, 01:42 PM
haha, nice one ViN. :D

grey_1
12-06-10, 05:13 PM
Lucky for you, if you get Linux, you won't need to take a trip to the doctor, need some cream or have to scratch your genitals every few minutes.

Yeah right...should have seen me rolling my own kernels way back when ...:lol:

Not sure I even remember how to do that any more.

OT - I guess I've been one of the fortunate few who hasn't been plagued with activation issues. Some of the guys at work are though, their company licensed copies of win7 are shutting down on them. :lol:

ViN86
12-06-10, 07:48 PM
Yeah right...should have seen me rolling my own kernels way back when ...:lol:

Not sure I even remember how to do that any more.

OT - I guess I've been one of the fortunate few who hasn't been plagued with activation issues. Some of the guys at work are though, their company licensed copies of win7 are shutting down on them. :lol:

They use an activation server? Sounds like IT's fault. My campus's license server is still working well heh.

grey_1
12-06-10, 07:57 PM
They use an activation server? Sounds like IT's fault. My campus's license server is still working well heh.

The techs are getting an activation message following by the "not a genuine copy"...message :lol: I really have no idea what the issue is, but I point and laugh a lot. :D

My old lappy is still running XP.

Bearclaw
12-07-10, 04:04 PM
XP sucks.

Jus' 'sayin'

TheOneAndOnly
12-10-10, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately for you, if you get Linux, you will need to take a trip to the doctor or need some cream after having to scratch your head every few minutes.

T,FTFY

grey_1
12-10-10, 03:49 PM
XP sucks.

Jus' 'sayin'