PDA

View Full Version : You will want to play this game now...

ragejg
12-07-10, 08:06 PM
No rly.

Some great editing of some great moments in this underappreciated game which still looks damn good.

Anyone remember the hype surrounding the development of this game, and then the letdown when a couple dimensions of it weren't up to snuff (the music I think.... and wasn't the length of SP playtime also critiqued?)?

mKXiuDUikfQ&fmt=18

I'd like to talk about this game and its immediate relatives (if you can remember them)... sure I'd like to talk about other games from around this time but that's for another thread... I have some in mind, but I'd rather just appreciate this video... :p

Now, I'm STILL a fan of Halo 1 and 2 for PC, and this.... well I think this has a similar feel, but it may even look a little better than Halo 2 despite this being a DX8 game.

Soetdjuret
12-07-10, 09:01 PM
I remember this game, lagged like hell om my computer when trying to play it back then. Had to lower to medium and upgrade to more RAM, then i could play. Great game, especially the weapons and the alien weapons also the graphics was top notch. Kinda of a father to the Halo series.

grey_1
12-07-10, 09:16 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I enjoyed that game quite a bit, especially the swamp level.

Might have to hunt up a copy now you got me thinking about it again....

Madpistol
12-07-10, 09:27 PM
I still have the discs to Unreal 2: The Awakening, but I can't get it to install on my system for some reason. I hate it too, because I remember how much my old systems struggled with it. I want to see how a much more modern system can cope with it now.

I hate how I picked this game up for $50 and it turned out to be quite a dud. No Physics, not a lot of super high detail, just really large volumetric shadows and over done lighting coupled with huge amounts of grass and multi-layer textures. As far as gameplay went, it was passable.

Still, I'm looking for some old games to play again (like Halo PC) so I'll try installing it and see if I can get it running... at maximum details no less. :D

ragejg
12-07-10, 09:37 PM
I think it'd be fun in Stereo 3D with 32x AA.

Damn, that video really made me want this game all over again.

Madpistol
12-07-10, 09:48 PM
It's $15 on steam. Have at it.

Also... Miranda has boobs. :p

EDIT: Not looking good for me installing it. My CD drive does not like one of the CD's (it sounds unbalanced in the drive)

MaXThReAT
12-07-10, 09:49 PM
You will want to play this game now...

Dang your so right. I just pulled it down from my CD tower. It seems to be installing okay in Win7 64, we'll see. I want to see if 3D vision works. Thanks man.

Madpistol
12-07-10, 10:13 PM
Game works fine on my rig.

One question. Is the demo sequence at the beginning (the one that has all the crazy cells and crap in it, not the opening sequence in space.) broken for anyone other than me? I get to the end of the first part, but then the screen goes white and the beginning of the music just loops over and over again. I never get to the neat graphic effects or anything.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? I want to see what my system can do on this... was sort of a benchmark of the system's power back in the day. :p

mullet
12-07-10, 10:28 PM
Hmmm I am interested. Any MP servers out there?

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-07-10, 11:27 PM
Hmmm I am interested. Any MP servers out there?

Last time I tried to load up XMP, it didn't work at all.

ragejg
12-07-10, 11:43 PM
XMP is dead, replaced by a UT2k4 mod that's ALMOST a faithful recreation.

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-07-10, 11:51 PM
I always though Unreal 2 was a fun game, only the ship conversations sucked.

Roadhog
12-08-10, 12:06 AM
man, unreal was great. Spawning tons of 2 legged cows ftw.

jkmetal
12-08-10, 12:45 AM
My bro and his friend beat the final boss hold milkshakes in one hand and their controllers in the other.

Kinda sums up my feelings on this game.

Drolfrawd
12-08-10, 02:02 AM
No rly.

Some great editing of some great moments in this underappreciated game which still looks damn good.

Anyone remember the hype surrounding the development of this game, and then the letdown when a couple dimensions of it weren't up to snuff (the music I think.... and wasn't the length of SP playtime also critiqued?)?

mKXiuDUikfQ&fmt=18

I'd like to talk about this game and its immediate relatives (if you can remember them)... sure I'd like to talk about other games from around this time but that's for another thread... I have some in mind, but I'd rather just appreciate this video... :p

Now, I'm STILL a fan of Halo 1 and 2 for PC, and this.... well I think this has a similar feel, but it may even look a little better than Halo 2 despite this being a DX8 game.

i have this game my po is that compared to ut2004 its crap. anyway onslaught torlan is where its at with true fans of unreal. Even the 2007 version isn't as good.

jeffmd
12-08-10, 04:50 AM
the game looked good and played fine if uninspired but the story was god awful.

LurkerLito
12-08-10, 09:01 AM
I bought this on GoG a year ago and I still haven't installed it lol. I never did buy this game when it came out I don't remember why either, I did like the original unreal when it was released.

ViN86
12-08-10, 09:27 AM
I have this in my Unreal Anthology pack, which I got for free when Amazon shipped it to me by mistake and then told me they didn't want it back.

Madpistol
12-08-10, 11:31 AM
Here's what's happening with my intro:

GKxxA17h16A

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this? It's sorta pissing me off. :(

Viral
12-09-10, 08:54 PM
I liked the game enough despite its flaws but never finished it. I guess I was pretty let down by it since I followed the development closely for a couple of years when everyone else was more excited about ut2k3. I wanted another single player game since I loved the original Unreal.

I also loved XMP and had more fun with it than UT2k4... probably because I was over the concept when 2k4 came out and I liked XMP better because it was a little more simplified yet larger on scale.

HiCZoK4
12-10-10, 03:46 AM
WOOOW! Offcourse I was playing it back then but was dissapointed like everybody. But it looks kinda great now :lol:
Its modded or vanila?

Would it run on a n450 1.66 gma 3150 netbook?