PDA

View Full Version : Master of Orion

Vanzagar
12-07-10, 10:01 PM
So I booted up the old DOS game Master of Orion 1 that I haven't played in a long long time, and wholly f*k was it fun. :captnkill:

I'm sure this kind of game isn't a lot of players cup of tea, so if you hate this genre nows a good time to move along...

Besides the awfully dated graphics, much to my surprise, I still really enjoyed it… anyone know of any similar space strategy games with updated graphics?

- Hated MOO3, if you played it you’d probably agree
- MOO2 was too much micro management
- Liked Galatic civ 1 but still not nearly as fun as MOO1
- Didn’t like civ2, again micro managing sucks. I know you can auto this but when the computer took over for me it always did a crappy job.
- Tried Space Empires 5 awhile ago and couldn’t get into it either
- I tried Sins of a Solar Empire and it just bored me, to be honest I didn’t give it a lot of time. Also, it just felt like a RTS click fest slowed down

Really none of these games hold a candle to MOO1 for me, I think here’s why:

MOO1
- Lets people focus on galactic battles not micro managing crap, like laying out farms or medical building…
- Nicely simplified and to the point Research structure. I don’t want to navigate a fricken tech map to figure I need to research X, Y and Z before I can finally get T.
- Huge epic battles, 5000+ ships, in the gal civs I always felt like I had these tiny fleets that I had to micro manage cause of their upkeep cost. I don’t want to micro fricken manage micro costs. I don’t want to be an accountant I want to me a war mongerer…:p
- Freedom of movement, I can move from any star system to any other star system and it makes sense, I don’t want to be constrained to “space highways” and bottle necks like in Sins or SE5.
- Cool and fun ship design. Galciv 2’s system was okay I guess just kind of convoluted and time consuming.
- Well balanced and meaningful economic system, from what I recalled in the galcivs, one strategy I used was to take like 5million people and put them on transports and blow them up. Made the planets more productive because it over came planet overcrowding, broken unrealistic mechanics like this just a kill a game for me…

Main thing I hate about RTS games is you tend to find a formula and then the game turns into a click fest. What epic war campaign relies on constant super quick decisions? MOO1 is like space chess. You have to THINK through your choices and make good decision or the game will generally eat you up (I always play on the impossible setting) and a lot of the decisions change from game to game so it’s harder to develop an all winning formula.

I can’t even recall all the things that either bored me to tears about the other strategy space games or just plain annoyed me, if you can think of any new games similar to MOO1, please post…

Thanks,

Vanz

Johnny C
12-08-10, 06:12 PM
I spent alot of hours on MOO, and they were hours well spent.

zoomy942
12-08-10, 06:14 PM
i love old games. nostalgia ftw

methimpikehoses
12-08-10, 06:39 PM
i very much enjoyed master or orion myself. alpha centauri was even better, IMO.

Johnny C
12-08-10, 07:52 PM
i very much enjoyed master or orion myself. alpha centauri was even better, IMO.

Playing smac right now.....

funny it didn't run on vista or xp really at all, but runs great on windows 7 x64

Greg
12-09-10, 06:19 AM
I still play MOO. When I bought a 27" monitor a while back, the first game I played on it was MOO in all its 320x200 glory. Actually, the graphics are terrible, but the game-play, outstanding. I play through DosBox but still own the original CD and manual.

Vanzagar
12-09-10, 11:21 AM
I still play MOO. When I bought a 27" monitor a while back, the first game I played on it was MOO in all its 320x200 glory. Actually, the graphics are terrible, but the game-play, outstanding. I play through DosBox but still own the original CD and manual.

There's no updated graphical version of this game or a similar game made since?

Hey Greg, do you know anyway to scale or increase the Dosbox playing resolution. I play on a 1920x1200 monitor and I'm confined to this little 320x200 box, if I go full screen it's just too damn big... I'd like to play it at about 1168x968 or 1024x768 maybe...

Greg
12-10-10, 03:03 AM
There's no updated graphical version of this game or a similar game made since?

Hey Greg, do you know anyway to scale or increase the Dosbox playing resolution. I play on a 1920x1200 monitor and I'm confined to this little 320x200 box, if I go full screen it's just too damn big... I'd like to play it at about 1168x968 or 1024x768 maybe...

I play MOO via DosBox with D-Fend-Reloaded v0.8.2
Graphic Settings:

Window resolution - original
Fullscreen resolution - 1920x1200
Start in fullscreen mode
Keep current aspect ratio
Render - ddraw
Video card - svga_s3
Scale - Advanced interpolate with factor 2 (advinterp2x)
Frameskip - 0

Those settings work well and look nice for me.

I hesitate to answer your first question in case I raise false hope or breach trust but I do know of a MOO style game in development which intends to at least capture the spirit of the original, not the sequels. More on that some day if and when it progresses. At least there is hope for us MOO fans. (Please don't query further on this issue as there is nothing more to say at this time.)