PDA

View Full Version : Shellshocker: Why RO2 will beat COD:BO

Pages : [1] 2

Logical
12-08-10, 04:10 PM
This is a sub-title of the January issue of the US PC Gamer magazine...

http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/d/6243-2/pcgamer-1101.jpeg

I haven't managed to get hold of a copy of the mag so if any of you guys in the US would like to send me a copy or at least point me to some scans i would be most greatful.

Ramm-Jaeger from Tripwire had this to say on Bash and Slash...

This is a duplicate of an post I made over on the official RO2 forums, but I figured I'd repost it here so you guys could see my thoughts on this headline.

There are many ways to "beat" CODBO. I'll list them out here and my thoughts on our capability to do so:

1) Sales - Obviously we won't beat them on total sales because RO2 isn't also a console game. Beating them in PC sales even would certainly be tough, but getting in the same ballpark is certainly achievable. Especially considering they've said that PC sales only account for 4% of their million of units sold.

2) Reviews - This is totally doable. If you look at the metacritic scores for the original RO and PC Black Ops you'll see the original RO has a metacritic of 81 and BO has a metacritic of 83. So as long as we make a game that is better than the original RO (which is what we're trying to do) we could beat them in reviews.

3) Long Term Player Counts - I put long term player counts here, because most any game has lots of players playing it the week of release. What really matters is will people be playing it months down the road. This is an area where we'll have a hard time beating them until we catch up on #1 above. Our strategy of long term support and free content for our games however certainly is good for us in this regard. Both RO and KF have added a LOT of players and sales over time to keep the player counts up and a big reason for this is our post release support.

4) Long Term Customer Satisfaction - I know this is hard to measure but if you look at the philosophy of Activision vs the philosophy of TWI in how we treat our customers you'll understand what I mean. The Activision philosophy is to release a game and then either quickly move on, or nickel and dime the customer with paid DLC. The Tripwire philosophy is to give the customer good value at release, and increasing value post release in the form of free DLC (maps, weapons, vehicles, etc), and some non-essential optional paid DLC (like the Killing Floor character packs). We stand by our games for the long haul, and this is not always something that can be said about Activision and the COD series.

5) Expandability - We'll destroy BO in this area. With a MOD SDK released BEFORE the game ships (its already in the hands of a mod team) and multiple total conversion mods already in development (Pacific Theatre WWII, Vietnam, and WWI) we're going to win this fight hands down. This combined with our support for mod teams and our pattern of releasing mods for our games over Steam so they are easy to get into the hands of the fans really gives us the edge here.

6) PC Functionality - Another area where we should beat BO hands down. With a full dedicated server, web based server administration tools, 64 player MP support, and a dev team focused only on a PC version this is an area where we can and will shine.

So these are my thoughts on this headline :) I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind that RO1 is not RO2 (even though that "niche" game has sold almost half a million units). We are making a game that is aimed to be much more accessible than the first RO while still staying true to its tactical shooter roots. We were a new company with almost no money and resources when we made RO1 5 years ago. We're much more experienced now have a lot more resources than when we made the first RO. So to quote Darth Vader "when we last met I was but the learner, now I am the master." ;)

Talk about hyping a game up, i've been looking forward to this game for a while now but with promises like that and boots so big to fill i just hope they can deliver...Admittingly the screenshots certainly don't look anything special for a PC only title....

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/wp-content/gallery/nov-2010-screenshots/ro2_pr_screenshot_commisarshouse_soviet_b.jpg

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/wp-content/gallery/nov-2010-screenshots/ro2_pr_commisarshouse_a.jpg

mojoman0
12-08-10, 04:28 PM
I saw some vids and was put off by the running animations. Looked like hunchback gremlins storming a city

Imbroglio
12-08-10, 07:32 PM
call of duty is at the point where it sells millions by name alone. let's be honest, no game is going to outsell codbo unless it's another cod. people want the game based upon name alone. until another franchise fps gets started, it's king of the castle.... well either that or until some studio manages to create a cod game that is absolutely garbage.

mailman2
12-08-10, 07:55 PM
I hate U3 engine.. you can tell by the white halo around the guy in the first pic. no thanks.

LydianKnight
12-08-10, 09:13 PM
Come on... it's not that bad of an engine, but yeah... in this screenshots it looks really really crappy :bleh:

JasonPC
12-08-10, 09:14 PM
Yeah what's with all the white edges...

methimpikehoses
12-08-10, 09:15 PM
i bet a million paypalz that pcgamer is wrong.

bacon12
12-08-10, 09:22 PM
I do know one thing the devs are listening to the community and are putting in the work. Will it be a better game than BLOPS? Maybe, but it won't be near the commercial success that it is.

MUYA
12-08-10, 10:01 PM
Red Orchestra

mailman2
12-08-10, 11:40 PM
Yeah what's with all the white edges...

MOH SP Looked like that too. U3 is bad.

K007
12-09-10, 02:22 AM
u3 engine -.-..../pass...

lumpyhed
12-09-10, 12:09 PM
Its a shame it will only ship with 2 tanks pz4/t34 but least we know they'll support it and give us a full compliment in due time :)

jiffy
12-09-10, 10:54 PM
What is sad is that many of you that posted seem to write the game off from a few screenshots. Go read the forums and what the Dev team is putting into this game. They are trying to make this for "PC" gamers, something that hasn't been done in a while for us. Most games are made for console and ported which has not worked at all.

Check out the forms and read what the Devs have done to make this a good game. I will say they are trying much harder than any other game maker out there that I have seen.

Forum link Below:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

GullyFoyle
12-10-10, 11:06 AM
Aye, sometimes substance wins over style. Sometimes games "get it right" without being the flashiest game on the block. Witness the longevity of Counter Strike. See games like Minecraft.

I was initially put off by the clunky soldier motion. but the more developer walk-throughs I watch, the more intrigued I am at the amount of detail and depth going in to every aspect of the game.

Hearing about dev kits and lots of free after release support is icing on the cake.

The only problem I see is this will not be going head to head with COD:BO, since we will not see it until late next year, when it will be going up against BF3...

DiscipleDOC
12-10-10, 11:13 AM
This is a sub-title of the January issue of the US PC Gamer magazine...

http://www.fpsadmin.com/gallery/main.php/d/6243-2/pcgamer-1101.jpeg

"I make zombie bears happen" :rofl

Bearclaw, it looks like you don't live in the upcoming zombie apocalypse. :rofl

Bearclaw
12-10-10, 12:01 PM
:lol2:

WeReWoLf
12-10-10, 04:55 PM
The screenies are good, and the game looks like it'll be fun for a while at least. I know I'll be purchasing it, if only for the fact of supporting the devs who are supporting PC.

Logical
12-11-10, 07:03 AM
The screenies are good, and the game looks like it'll be fun for a while at least. I know I'll be purchasing it, if only for the fact of supporting the devs who are supporting PC.

Are you short sighted ? The screens look terrible and are comparable to really bad consolised ports....Not at all how a PC exclusive should look. The devs imo like to look like heroes on the PC platform but that does not mean this game will rock our worlds. Judging by the screens i'd say they have already failed in the visual department.

jiffy
12-11-10, 01:59 PM
Are you short sighted ? The screens look terrible and are comparable to really bad consolised ports....Not at all how a PC exclusive should look. The devs imo like to look like heroes on the PC platform but that does not mean this game will rock our worlds. Judging by the screens i'd say they have already failed in the visual department.

The Devs are putting more substance into the game than they are flash. Have you looked at some of the options that will be available for PC players? This game goes back to the days of Full Dedicated Servers, Mod Tools that work from day 1, etc. Here is a short list of features that most PC games today don't even have or allow.

* First Person Cover System: Players can take cover behind objects in first person and easily peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.
* Squad Command: Players can command fire teams on the battlefield with an easy to use first person interface.
* Damage System: A detailed hit detection system. Specific bodyparts hit are more lethal than others. Instant Death, Lethal, Critical and Non-Critical. (Source: PC Gamer Article July '09)
* Mantling System: Players can negotiate low obstacles, such as climbing over fences, through windows, etc. (Source: PC Gamer Article July '09)
* Adjustable Sights: Iron sights as well as scopes on weapons are adjustable for longer and shorter ranges. (Source: PC Gamer Article July '09)
* Bandaging: Players can bandage minor wounds to stop themselves from bleeding to death. Non-critical hits will cause half the damage instantly, with the other half occurring over bleed out time. Prompt bandaging can stop the second half of the damage from occurring. Source: PC Gamer Article July '09)
* Interactive Weapon Collision: Weapons collide with the game world; the player will raise and lower his weapon accordingly.(Source:IGN Preview)
* Bullet Penetration: Bullets can penetrate some materials and cause damage on the other side. (Source:IGN Preview)
* Breathing System: The player's breathing pattern will affect his aim; players can hold their breath momentarily for a more stable shot. Players who have low stamina from sprinting, etc. will breathe harder. (Source:IGN Preview)
* Bipods: Bipod mounted weapons will pivot around their bipods when deployed. Deploying bipod mounted weapons is much easier than it was in Ostfront. (Source:IGN Preview)
* Tactical View: HUD elements appear as the player needs them, and are automatically hidden when the player does not. The entire HUD can be brought up at any time with the press of a key. (Source:IGN Preview)
* Weight System: The player can carry multiple weapons as well as grenades, but has a maximum allowed weight and will slow down as they carry more. (Source: Ramm-Jaeger on IRC)
* Peripheral Vision Indicators: Small indicators appear at the edge of the player's screen to denote possible enemies in the player's peripheral vision. (Source: Ramm-Jaeger)
* Character Progression: Players can gain experience and rank. Higher ranked players have access to rare weapons, equipment and classes. Higher ranked players are visually distinct from lower ranked players. If you do poorly, for example tk a lot you can rank down. (Source:Voodoo Extreme Interview and BashandSlash Interview)
* Dynamic Music System: Heroes of Stalingrad features a dynamic music system that adapts the emotional mood of the soundtrack to match the morale of the player based on the flow of the battle. To highlight the differences between the two warring powers the game features a completely unique soundtrack for the Russian and German sides. (Source: Wilsonam)
* New Recoil Model: The recoil model is more realistic than that of Ostfront. SMG's have had their recoil lowered and MG's have more recoil. (Source: E3 Interview)
* Interruptible Reloads: Reloads can now be interrupted. (Source: E3 Interview)
* Fire Support: There are 3 types of fire support: mortars, artillery, and rockets. Mortars cause a small amount of damage in a small area, rockets cause a large amount of damage over a large area. Artillery falls in between. (Source: GDN Gamescom Article)
* Aerial Recon: The commander can call a recon plane which surveys the battlefield and reports enemy positions. Enemy infantry and tanks will show up on the commander's map instantly (as long as he is near the radio), and will filter down the ranks with a few seconds delay. The plane will only report units it has actual visual contact with; it will be possible to hide from it and shoot it down. (Source: GDN Gamescom Article) (Source: Wilsonam)
* Ironsights for the Sniper: Sniper rifles now have usable ironsights, as they did in real life. (Source: GDN Gamescom Article)
* Destructable Buildings: Any and all buildings are destructible if the mapper wants. Buildings will still leave ruins behind, however, so the battlefield isn't bombed flat. (Source: GDN Gamescom Article)
* SDK: The game ships with SDK and a Mapping Tool out of the box. (Source: BashandSlash Interview)

Noriega
12-11-10, 02:20 PM
+1 for jiffy

You guys are just noobs. Go play TF2 or Call of Shyt Blow Ounce. How many of you have played Red Orchestra? This game is one of the most realistic shooter ever and I hope that RO2 will be even more hardcore.

and for the graphics look at gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saoevQpUrm8&feature=related

Logical
12-12-10, 07:30 AM
+1 for jiffy

You guys are just noobs. Go play TF2 or Call of Shyt Blow Ounce. How many of you have played Red Orchestra? This game is one of the most realistic shooter ever and I hope that RO2 will be even more hardcore.

and for the graphics look at gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saoevQpUrm8&feature=related

Yeah because realism makes a game so much more fun.....Just like ARMA II and Operation Flashpoint 2....get a grip tbh :thumbdwn:

@Jiffy i cba to read that much of a long winded thread but what i did read of it doesn't mean the game will rock. Even if the devs do support the PC platform as they say they are it doesnt mean their game will be the best FPS game to ever grace the PC.

So far from my POV i see bad visuals, slow paced gameplay and a genre that has been done more times an Amsterdam prostitute...

Sean_W
12-12-10, 07:37 AM

I wouldn't say so. UE3 is very scalable and Batman showed just how good UE3 can get. You can force AA on in UE3 games anyway and the textures are way more detailed than the crap in CoD BO.

Logical
12-12-10, 08:42 AM
Agreed Batman made good use of the UE3 engine....however RO:HoS does not. Batman was also multiplatform....RO2 is not. Batman was also released over 12 months ago and RO2 isnt ev en out yet. Maybe those screens are from an early Alpha build and maybe the final game will look a lot better, but i doubt it.

A 3 man team with the UE3 SDK could also promise what Tripwire are promising here but that doesnt mean they could deliver. The fact they are using UE3 in the first place is an absolute fail in my eyes but each to their own i guess.

Sean_W
12-12-10, 09:08 AM
Yeah well, there are zero reasons why the textures shouldn't be standard 1024x1024 like the engine can easily handle but yeah it's how you use it that counts.

UE3 is very nice and I've developed maps in the editor and there is stuff in their you might not see that doesn't get fully used, like Virtual Displacement Mapping. VDM make textures look almost 3D like POM with without the performance hit of POM.

jiffy
12-13-10, 10:42 PM
Yeah because realism makes a game so much more fun.....Just like ARMA II and Operation Flashpoint 2....get a grip tbh :thumbdwn:

@Jiffy i cba to read that much of a long winded thread but what i did read of it doesn't mean the game will rock. Even if the devs do support the PC platform as they say they are it doesnt mean their game will be the best FPS game to ever grace the PC.

So far from my POV i see bad visuals, slow paced gameplay and a genre that has been done more times an Amsterdam prostitute...

I just disagree with your negativity towards the game. Did you even play the first one? It was not slow paced or equivalent to ArmaI or ArmaII or Flashpoint. The Red Orchestra game was more equivalent to COD/BF in game play.

The Devs have more good ideas than the COD/BF series games. The Devs seem to have game play in mind for PC players and not consoles. Most of us would agree this is a much better direction than we have seen lately. Will it be better than any other FPS game, maybe not. It is admirable and something to look forward to for all PC gamers when any Dev team is looking out for the PC player.