PDA

View Full Version : Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Pages : [1] 2

ATOJAR
12-11-10, 04:50 PM
Just bought this from steam for half price.

Anybody played it? Its a horror game ... Ive been reading reviews & the steam forums, Sounds interesting and is supposed to be terrifying.

I'm sat here in a dark room, headset on and volume cranked up ... The wife is in bed ... Ive played for 10 mind and it scary as hell.

I had to turn it off lol ... Apparently it get 10x more intense the longer you play according to the steam forums.

sammy sung
12-11-10, 06:32 PM
I have it but it creeps me out way to much to play it :lol: I played about 10 minutes but i very much doubt i will play it further,the ambience and feel of the game is really creepy even if nothing really happened yet.

ATOJAR
12-11-10, 07:54 PM
Ive watched a lot of thriller/horror movies in my time .... Ive been on a lot of white knuckle rides but this game is just pure crazy .... There's an intense feeling of fright & suspense ...The best thing is i haven't even seen another being yet! lol.

This is one of those games that are different from any other ... You need to see/play it to understand.

Fuku2
12-11-10, 10:18 PM
Beat it last weekend. Pretty scary game.
Hope you don't have problems with the pot of acid...

Peoples-Agent
12-11-10, 11:51 PM
Got chest pains just watching the trailer, not much hope for me. lol

K007
12-12-10, 03:00 AM
lol u guys are weak!...installing it atm, gonna check it out ><

Sean_W
12-12-10, 05:59 AM
Yeah, played a bit myself and it was good but I don't like games that unsettle me. Love the part where you have some evil ghost in the water and all you can see is it's splashes while it walks.

grey_1
12-12-10, 07:21 AM
... Ive played for 10 mind and it scary as hell.

I had to turn it off lol
I have it but it creeps me out way to much to play it :lol: I played about 10 minutes but i very much doubt i will play it further,the ambience and feel of the game is really creepy even if nothing really happened yet.
Beat it last weekend. Pretty scary game.
Hope you don't have problems with the pot of acid...
Yeah, played a bit myself and it was good but I don't like games that unsettle me. Love the part where you have some evil ghost in the water and all you can see is it's splashes while it walks.

You guys made me buy this. Meh, what's a few more gray hairs....:lol:

Wife will find me slumped over my keyboard in a couple of hours....

sammy sung
12-12-10, 10:08 AM
You guys made me buy this. Meh, what's a few more gray hairs....:lol:

Wife will find me slumped over my keyboard in a couple of hours....

Report back with your findings buddy,IF you survive that is.......Muaahahahahaha!!!!!!:p

grey_1
12-12-10, 10:32 AM
Report back with your findings buddy,IF you survive that is.......Muaahahahahaha!!!!!!:p

My wife did the "Muaahahahahaha!!!!!!" thing at me too, what the??!?!?! :lol:

I'm about an hour into this so far. Visuals are good, have to keep the gamma very low to keep the shadows looking decent. It's a fun, interesting game with a decent puzzle or 2 so far...

Where's the scaries though? Seriously..maybe I'm jaded, but I haven't had so much as a twinge yet...:o

Either way I'm having fun with it. It's certainly a refreshing break from the usual run n gun I like. :o:)

Sean_W
12-12-10, 10:53 AM
Play it in the dark with headphone on or the sound up loud.

grey_1
12-12-10, 12:06 PM
Play it in the dark with headphone on or the sound up loud.

I did - just not finding it scary at the moment. :o

Enjoyable...oh yes, just not scary.

methimpikehoses
12-12-10, 12:46 PM
grey is a man, the rest of you are boys.

Redeemed
12-12-10, 12:49 PM
:lol:

Sean_W
12-12-10, 12:54 PM
grey is a man, the rest of you are boys.

Yeah, I suppose I am in a way. I remember when I was a boy, the film Salem's Lot scared the crap out of me. Never been a fan of horror but my wife loves it, nothing can scare her.

I think it might be because it get into such things way too much, I'm almost there in the game or film and this game does that, which makes me uneasy.

ATOJAR
12-12-10, 02:00 PM
Where's the scaries though? Seriously..maybe I'm jaded, but I haven't had so much as a twinge yet...:o

Suppose things effect people in different ways. I was playing in a dark room at like 12am with & headset and the volume a little louder than normal ... It creep-ed me out man ... I was actually saying curse words out loud.

I was like "S**t" & "What the F**k" ... If you can get into the role of the character with no interruption from the real world ... If you play in the right settings ... Dark, quite room with headset and no disturbance ... If you can fully immerse yourself in the game it will freak you out, Ive been on some of the worlds biggest, fastest, highest roller coasters ... Ive watched some movies rated the best horror/thrillers of all time but i can honestly say none come close to the feeling this game manages to give me.

It actually scares me thinking about playing lol. :o

BTW ive heard the first hour or two is a walk in the park .. :headexplode:

grey_1
12-12-10, 03:02 PM
Suppose things effect people in different ways. I was playing in a dark room at like 12am with & headset and the volume a little louder than normal ... It creep-ed me out man ... I was actually saying curse words out loud.

I was like "S**t" & "What the F**k" ... If you can get into the role of the character with no interruption from the real world ... If you play in the right settings ... Dark, quite room with headset and no disturbance ... If you can fully immerse yourself in the game it will freak you out, Ive been on some of the worlds biggest, fastest, highest roller coasters ... Ive watched some movies rated the best horror/thrillers of all time but i can honestly say none come close to the feeling this game manages to give me.

It actually scares me thinking about playing lol. :o

BTW ive heard the first hour or two is a walk in the park .. :headexplode:
That's what I'm hoping. I've had fun with the exploring so far, but even in my pitch black office with the sound up there's just nothing scary so far. I'd love nothing more than to have this turn around suddenly and jolt the heck out of me :lol: That's why I bought it after reading you guys comments.

Still early in the game though. I'm sure there's darker coming. :)

Redeemed
12-12-10, 03:11 PM
That's what I'm hoping. I've had fun with the exploring so far, but even in my pitch black office with the sound up there's just nothing scary so far. I'd love nothing more than to have this turn around suddenly and jolt the heck out of me :lol: That's why I bought it after reading you guys comments.

Still early in the game though. I'm sure there's darker coming. :)

I'm sorry- but I can't help be laugh. This thread is littered with grown men commenting on how this games scares the bees-wax out of them... and along comes good ole' grey_1, not being startled or jolted in the least.

Not picking on ya', just larffing at teh epic contrast here. :lol: :D

grey_1
12-12-10, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry- but I can't help be laugh. This thread is littered with grown men commenting on how this games scares the bees-wax out of them... and along comes good ole' grey_1, not being startled or jolted in the least.

Heh, It's actually getting kind of irritating now. I just leave the lantern off and run around doing my thing and my character keeps getting all "oh teh nooes a shadow!" :lol: and the game tells me I'm insane so I light a candle for a few minutes....:p

Honestly, I'm loving the game - it's a lot of fun chasing the objectives down and playing hide and seek with the bad guys. Well worth the purchase price.

grey_1
12-13-10, 06:18 PM
Did I kill this thread? :o

Sorry, didn't mean to. Having a blast with this game - good pick. :)

zoomy942
12-13-10, 06:46 PM
i have played it a little but hope to get into it more after xmas. in the dark + creepy game sounds like a good time to me!

Vanzagar
12-13-10, 06:50 PM
Looks like it could be okay... whole lot of darness after about 2:00 thought...

M627-obxNzg

What's the gist of the game? What are you trying to accomplish...

Vanzagar
12-13-10, 06:54 PM

Or they have good imaginations and he doesn't... obviously it's just a computer game and shouldn't scare anyone unless you allow yourself to really get into it and let your imagination loose...

Sean_W
12-13-10, 07:22 PM
Looks like it could be okay... whole lot of darness after about 2:00 thought...
What's the gist of the game? What are you trying to accomplish...

Just try to survive and stay sane by various means. You don't get weapons as such and you have to use your surroundings to your advantage, and run away or hide from what you think can attack you.

LydianKnight
12-13-10, 08:11 PM
... unless you allow yourself to really get into it and let your imagination loose...

Which is, precisely, what videogame developers expect from you, to feel inmersed in the game :p