PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Question

technoid
12-12-10, 02:31 AM
Okay. I have a GTX460. I have a Monitor with HDMI, DVI, and VGA connectors. I also have a Pioneer Blu-ray burner and PowerDVD 10. SO... Do I need an HDMI connection between my PC and the Monitor to play Blu-rays at the native 1920x1080, and how do I know if I'm NOT playing at that resolution since I only have a DVI Cable plugged in now. Thanks for any info.

LydianKnight
12-12-10, 03:15 AM
No, your DVI connection is fine for watching them.

technoid
12-12-10, 11:49 AM
No, your DVI connection is fine for watching them.

Thanks. But how do I know the Blu-ray is playing at 1920x1080? I know HDCP comes to play for Full HD so that's why I want to know how to make sure the video from the Blu-ray is playing at the full resoultion.

LydianKnight
12-12-10, 03:52 PM
Your software will take care of that, this is not like setting up home cinema hardware, we're talking about playback of a Blu-Ray disc from a PC, right?

And you're using PowerDVD 10, so... I don't see any 'risk' of your software player resorting to 720p, as you're going to have your desktop at the panel's native resolution (1920x1080), something PowerDVD will detect and, as a natural consequence, no downscaling or anything.

So... just play the disc :p

technoid
12-13-10, 01:14 AM
Your software will take care of that, this is not like setting up home cinema hardware, we're talking about playback of a Blu-Ray disc from a PC, right?

And you're using PowerDVD 10, so... I don't see any 'risk' of your software player resorting to 720p, as you're going to have your desktop at the panel's native resolution (1920x1080), something PowerDVD will detect and, as a natural consequence, no downscaling or anything.

So... just play the disc :p
Yeah... I just wanted to see the playback resolution in PowerDVD 10, but didn't for some reason. I've been doing some reading on it and the DVI port has HDCP capability so everything is okay. Thanks for the info :)

frenchy2k1
12-13-10, 01:07 PM
You should be able to check HDCP status in the nvidia control panel
They have a tb for that
If your card+monitor are reported as HDCP OK, then you are good to go.