PDA

View Full Version : AMD 4850 512MB runs black ops very slow

kaptkarl
12-12-10, 09:08 AM
My bro has a AMD 4850 512MB card, hooked up with a dual core AMD 6000 cpu and 2GB memory running on XP. CODMW2 plays excellent @1680x1050 on a 22" monitor. Yet Black ops runs horrible...or should I say not playable. Even at 800x600 all min settings it's still too choppy to play. What gives guys??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kapt.

Logical
12-12-10, 09:46 AM
It's the CPU not the GPU. Black ops is not optimised for dual core processors, however there is hope on the horizon when Treyarch release there next patch next week to address the issue.

ViN86
12-12-10, 01:56 PM
Tell your brother to install Windows XP on a second drive and run Black Ops in XP.

In Win7, I get 40-60 FPS in Black Ops with a LOT of stuttering. In XP, Black Ops runs at 125 FPS constantly with no stuttering, same settings too.

Treyarch's ****ing retarded. They are supposed to release dual core optimizations in the next update. They will probably **** those up too.

ragejg
12-12-10, 02:09 PM
IIRC in Black Ops the HD 4xxx series got kicked in the nads HARD and are not performing consistently with the norm of that GPU segment. I read a thread last night that had to do with said nad kicking, lemme see if I can retrace my steps.:type:

kaptkarl
12-12-10, 02:42 PM
Tell your brother to install Windows XP on a second drive and run Black Ops in XP.

In Win7, I get 40-60 FPS in Black Ops with a LOT of stuttering. In XP, Black Ops runs at 125 FPS constantly with no stuttering, same settings too.

Treyarch's ****ing retarded. They are supposed to release dual core optimizations in the next update. They will probably **** those up too.

He's running XP, not win7. Do you think only having 2GB system memory is part of the problem? I've seen others with the same cpu running the game at a decent pace. He cannot even run it at the LOWEST settings.....800x600 with no advanced settings enabled.

ViN86
12-12-10, 03:18 PM
He's running XP, not win7. Do you think only having 2GB system memory is part of the problem? I've seen others with the same cpu running the game at a decent pace. He cannot even run it at the LOWEST settings.....800x600 with no advanced settings enabled.

Sorry I didn't see the "running on XP part" :o

That really sucks, though. There's really no reason why his machine shouldn't be able to run the game fine, at least playable.

mailman2
12-12-10, 07:33 PM

maybe the 512MB on the GPU. That could really be limiting. Disable shadows and see if that helps.

ragejg
12-12-10, 08:16 PM
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/336/bench/1920.png
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59055

ViN86
12-12-10, 09:02 PM
OP says it runs like poop at 800x600 and min. settings, though. :(

I agree the card may not be able to handle 1920x1200 at full res, but there's no reason it can't do lower resolutions at 60 FPS. The really ****ty part about the whole thing is the performance difference between BO and MW2. The MW2 engine seems to run great on a wide variety of hardware, but the BO engine is based off an older one (either COD3 or W@W, I can't remember which) yet it runs like **** because of the lack of and overall poor optimizations.

Treyarch ****ed up bad imo.

kaptkarl
12-12-10, 11:34 PM
I think I found the problem.....vid drivers. He had cats10.2 installed. I also noticed his machine seemed a bit slow to respond with exployer browzer open.....a little hesitant. I upgraded to cats10.11 and wow...what a difference. Started black ops and let it choose optimal settings. It set it to 1028x768 4AA shadows on, all other settings to high. It ran just fine at those settings. However I did drop down to 2AA for smoother gameplay. Exployer in win is much smoother as well. CODMW2 runs smooth as butter at the same settings.

Still think I'm going to buy him a quad core cpu upgrade for Christmas! He loves to game online w/ CODMW2.

Kapt

ViN86
12-13-10, 10:27 AM
I think I found the problem.....vid drivers. He had cats10.2 installed. I also noticed his machine seemed a bit slow to respond with exployer browzer open.....a little hesitant. I upgraded to cats10.11 and wow...what a difference. Started black ops and let it choose optimal settings. It set it to 1028x768 4AA shadows on, all other settings to high. It ran just fine at those settings. However I did drop down to 2AA for smoother gameplay. Exployer in win is much smoother as well. CODMW2 runs smooth as butter at the same settings.

Still think I'm going to buy him a quad core cpu upgrade for Christmas! He loves to game online w/ CODMW2.

Kapt
LOL no duh. We should have asked this question right from the start. :o

Glad to hear you got it working ok, though.

K007
12-14-10, 04:44 AM
wait for patch.l

Quick420
12-14-10, 10:16 AM
It turned out to be drivers,NOT TREYARCH.So many people bash devs for not optimising a game when most systems are not defragged,have out of date drivers etc etc.I for one think the devs these days are awesome.They make games for 3 platforms and try their best to keep us all happy but still the hate,I dont get it.

ViN86
12-14-10, 10:37 AM
It turned out to be drivers,NOT TREYARCH.So many people bash devs for not optimising a game when most systems are not defragged,have out of date drivers etc etc.I for one think the devs these days are awesome.They make games for 3 platforms and try their best to keep us all happy but still the hate,I dont get it.

No. In this case, the drivers were quite old, so naturally they don't work with a new game.

But what about my system? I run Cat 10.12's (newest) and I get stuttering and my FPS runs at 60 FPS with drops to the 40's every second or two. In Windows 7, the game is unplayable. Watch this video and tell me this is how the game is supposed to play.

VLDeyjtfl0U

Now, when I install the game in Windows XP, it runs flawlessly at 125 FPS with no stuttering. You want to tell me that's a driver issue? The reason people jumped on the Treyarch in the beginning of this thread is because we all know already that the game is unoptimized and runs ****ty on a lot of computers.

Obviously we should have suggested driver updates, but notice how I asked if he is running XP? It's because for dual cores the game runs like **** in Vista/7, and in XP it runs great. That's because the game is unoptimized and Treyarch's retarded.

Google stuttering in black ops and see what results you get. And devs today are not awesome. They're pathetic. The devs from 10 years ago, THEY were awesome. Devs today rely on their console dev kits to make games, then just port it to PC (this is the reason for so many problems with Black Ops, including server rate settings being wrong, no optimizations, etc.). What PC gets is a piece of **** while the console games are playable, but far from spectacular. The biggest problem is that Black Ops is based on an old engine and it still runs like **** on a lot of peoples' computers.