PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Southbridge Heatsink

technoid
12-17-10, 12:56 PM
I was upgrading a computer a while back and while removing the motherboard I accidently pressed on the southbridge heatsink and it broke loose. I put it away like that but I'm going to put it into a different system so I want to fix the heatsink. The question is, what type of termal compound do they use. This is an ASUS P5B-E motherboard. It has two plastic pins holding it but I was wondering if they used thermal compond or thermal tape. I haven't taken the motherboard out of the closet yet but I'm planning to build a new system to use as a home server so I'm gathering data on the best way to fix it. If I need thermal tape I'll need to order some.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what I use to fix it with but I'm wondering if anyone knows what ASUS uses on the southbridge heatsink.

Drolfrawd
12-17-10, 01:59 PM
I was upgrading a computer a while back and while removing the motherboard I accidently pressed on the southbridge heatsink and it broke loose. I put it away like that but I'm going to put it into a different system so I want to fix the heatsink. The question is, what type of termal compound do they use. This is an ASUS P5B-E motherboard. It has two plastic pins holding it but I was wondering if they used thermal compond or thermal tape. I haven't taken the motherboard out of the closet yet but I'm planning to build a new system to use as a home server so I'm gathering data on the best way to fix it. If I need thermal tape I'll need to order some.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what I use to fix it with but I'm wondering if anyone knows what ASUS uses on the southbridge heatsink.

I have no clue what the Asus boys would use. but use Artic silver , can't go wrong there.If you need to wire tie a 40mm/60mm fan on it . freezing

technoid
12-18-10, 01:31 AM
I have no clue what the Asus boys would use. but use Artic silver , can't go wrong there.If you need to wire tie a 40mm/60mm fan on it . freezing
Thanks! I've got some Arctic Silver 5 so that's what I suppose I'll use. I just wondered since they have 2 plastic pins on the heatsink if they used some kind of thermal tape. I guess I'll find out what it is when I take the heatsink off.

LydianKnight
12-18-10, 03:57 AM
Thanks! I've got some Arctic Silver 5 so that's what I suppose I'll use. I just wondered since they have 2 plastic pins on the heatsink if they used some kind of thermal tape. I guess I'll find out what it is when I take the heatsink off.

Yes, but be sure to take out the pre-applied thermal compound, and I'm not even gonna say 'paste' as it was a pinky solid substance in my case (when I had my first ASRock), it resembled more like bubble gum (literally!) than thermal paste but... wipe it out carefully and then... yeah... AS5 to the max!

technoid
12-19-10, 07:17 AM
Yes, but be sure to take out the pre-applied thermal compound, and I'm not even gonna say 'paste' as it was a pinky solid substance in my case (when I had my first ASRock), it resembled more like bubble gum (literally!) than thermal paste but... wipe it out carefully and then... yeah... AS5 to the max!
Yes. I always remove the old paste first. I have the two part cleaner made by them too. But good advice. If I remember I'll report back in this thread when I do the repair and let you know what mine looked like.