PDA

View Full Version : Albatron Gf-FX 5900PV, System reboots when power cable connected...

Pages : [1] 2

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 12:59 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!???????

Just recieved my Albatron Geforce FX 5900PV today and when I went to put it in my system does not want to fully powerr up when the power cable is connected to the card...

Now my PS is said to be 400W but after looking up the specs I can see that its clearly not a real 400W but max's out at 370W (if it really even dows that).

http://www.wintech-corp.com.tw/win400PS2.asp

http://www.wintech-corp.com.tw/download/400PS-SPC.pdf

When I remove the power cable the system will boot just fine so I'm guessing this is a power supply issue? Anyone else know what's going on? Please drop me a message before I make an expensive guess buy on a $100 PS...

------------------
System Specs
------------------
P4 2.4Gighz
Asus Black Pearl Motherboard
1Gig@333Mhz DDR Ram
Santa Cruz Sound Card
CD-r and DvD-r Drives
2 Hard Drives
4 Case Fans
1 Bay Plate Fan
Floppy Drive (Duh ;))
WinXP Pro

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 08:18 AM
Well, I can't even connect to the web site you listed. In my mind that explains a lot about the potential quality of this company's products. I have a 500W PSU connected to my system and have had no such issues with any video card connected connected to it (Radeon 9500, 9800, FX5800U, FX5900). You can snag a 350W or 400W Antec PSU for less than $100.

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 08:51 AM
I'm definitely picking up a new antec Power Supply... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I go out and kill some more cash ;)

I always had my doubts about this PS I bought... I originally had an Antec which came with my antec case ;) but, me being the fool I am I gave it to my cousin when he needed one badly and I went out and bought another one which I thought was a real 400w PS... There really isn't much written on the PS so I really don't have much to go on as far as specs.. Though I always had my doubts that the PS was any good much less a 400W considering the price I paid for it :(

I'm off to go pick one up ether the 430 TruePower or the 480 TruePower... Which ever is in stock and at a better $ for whichever.

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 09:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the PSU that's in your machine now? If you paid less than $50, odds are it's a POS unit. The only exception to good, inexpensive power supplies I've found is the Leadman one I have in my system. 500W for $60. This PSU has served me faithfully for about 2 years now.

Edit: Once you get the card working, please leave me feedback on ebay. Thanks! :)

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 06:43 PM
I went out today And picked up an Antec TruePower 550w PSU and I'm still having the same problem...

When the power cord is not connected (directly or through the supplied splitter cable) my system boots up... When I connect the power cable my system will not power up.

I then removed everything from my system accept for the 5900, the sound card, 1 CD-r Drive, and my Master Hard Drive and still the same results.

Am I supposed to set some option in my bios or is it some other thing thats going on?

I'm at a loss for why this is not working considdering that everything is connected just fine... This has to be the first time in about 10 Years I've had a problem with any part I've added to my system. Even the 9700 Pro went in without a hitch :(

Skuzzy
08-02-03, 07:30 PM
For what it is worth, you did what I (or most anyone would have done) in that situation. Bought a new PS.

Sounds like the card may have a short in the power plug causing this. RMA time maybe.

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 07:40 PM
The funny thing about all this is that 2 times I was able to get the card to boot into windows with the power cable connected. And then after a few minutes my system shuts down so I'm not really sure there's a short in the power connector. Other then that its been pretty much the same thing. I hope its not RMA time because according to someone I just talked with Albatron took nearly 2 months to send him a replacement on his geforce 4 card. And I just won the card in an auction from saturnotaku and he only had the card for about 1 or 2 weeks... Or at least that's according to the receipt he sent along with the card. I would rather just send it back to him for that matter but I'll wait till I can call Albatron tomorrow Morning to see what they say it might be.

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 08:22 PM
Question - did you plug the card directly into a molex connector from your power supply or did you use the splitter I included? I had the card hooked up using the splitter. If you didn't have the card hooked up that way, might I suggest you try that?

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 08:32 PM
I've tried it both ways :(

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 08:36 PM
Have you tried setting the card to AGP 4x? What's your AGP aperture size? And are you sure the card is seated all the way in the slot? If you can boot into safe mode, are you getting any error messages in your system log?

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 08:40 PM
Just tried something I didnt think of... Put the card in my other system that has the 9700 pro and it does the same thing... just starts to power on... Lights on the fans light up blue and then the system just powers off and then doesnt turn on again till I ether remove the card or the power cable and then try to power on again and the system turns on. That system has an AOpen 400w PSU. I'm really at a loss here... Going to return that Antec 550w Power Supply tomorrow as it's not the problem so no point in killing myself over this.

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 08:42 PM
Its set to 4x and I tried 64 and 128 Arp. Size. I can get into windows if I don't connect the power cable to the card otherwise all that happens is the system will not turn on.

Edit: Almost forgot, The card is seated in 100% without a single thing in its path...

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 09:11 PM
Last thing I can think of is you may need a video BIOS update, especially since the card does work without the plugin.

Maybe also set your AGP aperture to 256 mb.

FredGSanford
08-02-03, 09:19 PM
The Arp size really shouldn't have anything to do with the card functioning... I looked for a bios update on Albatron's website and they don't have any Bios updates for the fx series of cards.

saturnotaku
08-02-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by FredGSanford
I looked for a bios update on Albatron's website and they don't have any Bios updates for the fx series of cards.

Then try some other sites: eVGA, Gainward, BFG. The card POSTS like any reference NVIDIA card I've ever owned so any BIOS you download should work. I would start with eVGA, especially since they've released a couple updates since the card was first issued. Make sure you write down the BIOS version of what you have now to compare it to what's available for download.

windwaver
08-03-03, 10:45 AM
Just tried something I didnt think of... Put the card in my other system that has the 9700 pro and it does the same thing... just starts to power on... Lights on the fans light up blue and then the system just powers off and then doesnt turn on again till I ether remove the card or the power cable and then try to power on again and the system turns on. That system has an AOpen 400w PSU. I'm really at a loss here... Going to return that Antec 550w Power Supply tomorrow as it's not the problem so no point in killing myself over this.

Keep that Antec, it's a gem that you'll never regret. I'm using the exact same card as yours and I'm on the Antec 480. Previously, I did have a problem with with my ceritfied 380 PSU. Everything worked fine once I fed the card with more clean juice.

Try to see if the 2 fans on the card is spinning when the system's up. Also, check the temperature on the card (available in NVDIA media centre).

I think it might be a heat issue, cos you never had any problem(s) before this and it really feels like it's getting too hot in there. Well, not unless the previous owner screwed it up :) and decided to sell it.

FredGSanford
08-03-03, 01:38 PM
saturnotaku>

I would love to try doing the bios upgrade but according to Albatron they will not honor the card should I do that so I won't take those steps unless they tell me to do that. They asked me to call them up on monday through an e-mail session :(

windwaver>

the temp was always at 41 and the fans are both spinning... My case is always nice and cool inside with 5 case fans and a bay fan. I Brought the card over to a neighbors house that has an Ati 9800 and the card does the same thing in there system. I also tried the 9800 in my system just for the hell of it and it seems to work in my system as well. I tried an e-mail session with Albatron and there responce was fast but they asked me to call them via the phone but from what there e-mail tech said he (or she) also doesnt think its a power problem simply because the card does work and has turned on 2 times. I called Albatron but there not open till monday (tomorrow) so I will call them then and find out what the verdict is. I am giving the seller the benifit of the doubt ether way this goes simply because hes been more helpfull then harmfull and his eBay record says it all. I am being told over and over again from lots of people online to just send it back but Fist I would like to try and resolve the issue without having to do that if I can. But on the other hand I also recieved info from a few people that Albatron had taken about 1+1/2 month to send a replacement for gf4 card 2+ months for a motherboard. I generally wouldn't mind doing that but not with a $310 item which is a nice price but not if I have to wait 2 months to use the card. I'll have to see what happens on monday morning when I talk to them on the phone...

Just want to say thanks to everyone for there help in every way... This still remains the best Forum's in my book ;)

FredGSanford
08-03-03, 02:30 PM
Forgot to add this to my last post... Just so people can see that I'm not telling tall tails about how many cards I tested to see if it was my system or the gf-fx 5900

on the left is the Radeon 9800, Middle the Albatron 5900, and on the right is the Geforce 3. The Radeon 9700 Pro is in use right now (and most likely for the next 10 years or untill my brother decides its time to give meddal of honor a rest. And the Geforce 2mx is in the comp right now.

saturnotaku
08-03-03, 04:20 PM
I also assume you're using the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Does it come with an option for adjusting AGP voltage? I think stock is 1.6, my system runs at 1.7 (least I'm pretty sure that's right, would have to double check). You may want to try that.

FredGSanford
08-03-03, 06:10 PM
yup I'm on the latest bios and the voltage goes up to 1.7 but also does auto... I tried all 4 of the presets and the auto.

windwaver
08-04-03, 08:10 AM
yup I'm on the latest bios and the voltage goes up to 1.7 but also does auto... I tried all 4 of the presets and the auto.

Hmmmmm.......that sounds like a faulty card then, but Albatron's pretty realiable, never heard anything like that before.

pgn.inertia
08-04-03, 09:01 AM
Are you _ABSOLUTELY_ sure about the card being free and without touching some components on the motherboard?

It sounds to me like you still have a short-circuit either on the card (something you cannot check very easy) or the card is touching something (motherboard, chassis, anything) making it to short.

A (invisible) short on the card could have been caused by shipping or maybe someone who was electromagnetically charged touched the card and broke it (just a thought BTW).

If that's not the case, RMA it. The longer you wait, the later you have your card back. And as windwaver said, I've not heard bad stories about Albatron's services.

FredGSanford
08-04-03, 09:38 AM
100% positive its not touching anything in the case. There's not a single component in the case touching it and the only part of the card touching the case is the slot plate which there is nothing I could do about that unless I remove my entire system outside of the case. I've talked to a few people who had there gf4 cards sent back for replacement and it took them more then a month... If you just purchased a vid card (5900) you should be able to use the card right away, no? Why should anyone have to wait an additional month+ for something they just bought to be able to use it... Now If I had the card for a month or more and then something happened I could understand that. Or even if I had pre-ordered it and had to wait a month or more for the release date I could understand that as well. Ether way I'm calling albatron in a few short hours (they open at 9am in CA) so then I will talk to them. But if they tell me it's going to take the expected time I was told by a few people then I can't wait that long for something I just laid out the money for that's available in any store near me for $40 more. If I were to then take off the $12 shipping that its going to take me to send the card to albatron then that's $28 more which is not a big difference. BTW, I was talking a different brand name. I've had tons of people telling me the card is faulty... and most after hearing the entire thing saying that I was sold a bumb card intentionally when they ask me when the card was bought and when it was sold to me whhich is a few days difference in time. I know this already but the question for me is to ship to albatron or to send it back to the person I bought it from. Which ever is the shortest period of time I will go with as I move around allot and it will be a pain to do an RMA when I generally could be in any of 5 places at any time in the year. The nature of my job...

pgn.inertia
08-04-03, 09:46 AM
Some things do get (invisibly) broken. I work in a shop that amongst other things sells cellular phones. Now every 1,5 months I sell a phone that's broke in the box (DOA = Defect/Dead On Arrival), where no one could have touched it. It's just the way modern electronics work.

But if you bought this card from someone (person) instead of somewhere (shop), than I hope this is a reliable person...

FredGSanford
08-04-03, 09:51 AM
I think hes reliable by his eBay feedback:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=saturnotaku

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=2743860687

if that's anything to be judged by, I think it is... Hope I'm not wrong (Generally shows a little something about someone's reliability). But then again I've also been burned more then 3 times on eBay now so this will be my last eBay item I buy (the 3 times were items I paid for and never recieved) Ether way it was paid for through PayPal so I'm pretty sure they will help out if anything goes wrong. (If)