PDA

View Full Version : Question: ASUS V9950 and flicker prob ?

shadow999
08-02-03, 05:41 AM
I recently bought a MSI FX5900 and am experiencing the famous 'flicker'-problem some of us are having. I will return the card because of this issue and am now thinking about what to buy instead. I've read that ASUS is one of the few manfacturers to produce their FX5900 boards by themselves, so there might be a chance that their cards don't suffer from the problem.
Now my question is: Has anyone of you experienced the flicker-problem with an ASUS-card ?
Thanks in advance !

mortaldivine
08-02-03, 03:35 PM
Ill let you know wed when mine arrives

SH64
08-02-03, 04:10 PM
i have MSI 5900U and no flicker .

DivotMaker
08-02-03, 04:13 PM
I saw this thread posted in another 5900 thread....not sure it is the cause, but it could be worth checking out....

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15787

shadow999
08-03-03, 04:41 AM
@BigBerthaEA: Thanks for trying to help me, but I already checked out all possible explanations/fixes for the flickering (software & hardware-related).
I could list all steps I've taken so far, but that would be rather long.
I've got quite a bit experience in computer-hardware (in fact, I'm studying computer science here in germany ;) ) and can tell you, that this is a hardware-problem of the card itself.
Posts on different manufacturer forums back up that assumption and show that the issue is quite frequent among fx5900-cards.
Someone suggested that there might be a problem with the first revision of the reference-design and flextronics, who produce the cards for many companies.
Since I read elsewhere that ASUS produces their cards by themselves, I thought there might be a chance that these cards aren't affected.

@mortaldivine: ok, I guess I'm going to wait till wednesday before buying the card. Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, I just saw the post of GPSnoopy in this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15467&pagenumber=2
Seems the Asus cards ARE affected.
So, I guess I will be an owner of a new Radeon 9800 by next week ;)

mortaldivine
08-05-03, 02:21 PM
My Asus 5900U finally came today. Too bad its broke. When I boot up windows, it has vertical bars of 0's across the screen. When it goes into windows, they turn into blue bars. Does the same thing on 3 comps. Guess I will NOT RMA my Gainward 5900U and RMA the Asus instead.

I guess im glad it doesnt work.
1: Asus has the flickering prob as well
2: Asus is ONLY Video-out, not in
3: The fan on the asus runs at one speed only
4: The cards runs hotter there for OC's not as good
5: Costs more

The only reason I wanted it was because it was blue but I think the 5 above comments out weigh that.

BB NVPR
08-06-03, 01:58 PM
We have become aware that both NVIDIA and competitor’s cards are experiencing similar problems that are described as “flickering”, “rolling lines” or “quivering” in different forum posts. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15467

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33672888&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

NVIDIA has been investigating these problems; we are having a difficult time reproducing the issue. We are under the impression it is a noise issue, not a graphics card issue and is system specific.

In an effort to find a solution, we ask that anyone in the Bay area who is experiencing this issue on an NVIDIA GPU and would like to visit NVIDIA with the system in tow contact us. We can use the system to identify the problem and see if we can resolve the issue. You will be doing a favor to NVIDIA and a service to the community. We will also make sure you leave with an arm full of NVIDIA swag!

First come first served! We can not look at every system in the Bay area, sorry.
Contact bburke@nvidia.com.

Unit01
08-06-03, 05:34 PM
Good move by Nvidia, shows that they acknowledged the problem :)
Hopefully this issue will be solved now instead of blaming it on TSMC or etc etc whatever they can think off.