PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
12-23-10, 03:04 PM
Hey ya'll, just needing your input to help me make a decision.

4GB of RAM is not sufficient for my computer usage. So a couple months ago I ordered 2GB of Crucial value RAM for like $40 or $50 off of newegg to add to my rig. However, my mobo was being very picky and would boot with either the G.Skill or Crucial, but not both no matter which DIMM slots I put the sticks in.

So I figured I'd either sell them for cheap to recoupe some of that money, or hold onto them just in case I needed them later. Tried selling them here but no body bit. So I opted to just keep them and use a 16GB pagefile, good idea on keeping the RAM. Intel just put out a new BIOS for my mobo, so I up dated it about an hour ago. Tried putting the Crucial RAM back in and... low and behold it works wonderfully. :)

So I'm good with 6GB now... but honestly I'd love to max this thing with 16GB as I wouldn't have to worry about buying more RAM for... years. :lol:

Newegg has the G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417) for only $74.99 w/ free shipping.

Buying two kits would cost me about $165 shipped. Here's my thing- I'm really tight financially. I mean, I could buy this, and it'd not bankrupt me... but I'm like one... maybe two payments at most from having my Credit Card completely paid off. I use a CFN card for gas and am a bit from having that paid off... but once the credit card is paid off I can have the CFN card paid off likely withing 4 months or so. I've made a very strict budget for myself so I can be entirely debt free as soon as possible.

This means, however, practically no spending on unnecessary things. No going to the movies, no buying movies, music, games, hardware... my money goes towards necesseties and necessities alone until the debt is paid off.

However this is just too sick a deal to pass up imo. I was planning on waiting untill this time next year to do a rather large over haul to my rig (max RAM at 16GB, likely a RAID SSD setup, 2TB HDD for storage/backup, 1TB HDD for apps, and a new 28nm VGA).

So here's the thing, 4GB was definitely not enough. I'm wondering if 6GB will do for another year. Wisdom seems to dictate I should pass this deal up. The young, inexperienced and wreckless young man in me says to just get the RAM. It'll save me that much money this time next year.

So, I call upon ya'll to help me. Rock 6GB and be debt free in less than a year. Or max the RAM out and be debt free in... 8 - 10 months?

Or better yet- Roadhog, can I haz $165? I'll pay you back... soon as I'm debt free. :D :lol:

Thanks for the input ya'll. I'm so close to freedom (no debt) I'm really leaning on skipping this deal, just curious what ya'll would do in my shoes mostly. :) :lol:

Roadhog
12-23-10, 03:11 PM
if you need it max it. If not 6gb.

Redeemed
12-23-10, 03:17 PM
if you need it max it. If not 6gb.

That's the thing, not sure how much 2GB will help me. I mostly do a crap ton of multi-tasking which is where the excessive usage comes in. I could likely get by with 6GB... but if not I don't want to miss this deal. :lol:

VOTE IN TEH POLL! :D

Drolfrawd
12-23-10, 03:21 PM
Drol says..............buy them suckers :D

Redeemed
12-23-10, 03:29 PM
Drol says..............buy them suckers :D

:lol:

it is a tempting deal, isn't it? :D

It's for your X58 rig right?

If so, you should always use 3 or 6 modules and not 2 or 4 because of the triple channel interface. Otherwise you'll loose a ton of bandwidth.
So I suggest to use your current 6GB setup and see how that goes. It's usually enough.

Yeah, the x58. My mobo only has 4 slots. Right now I'm using all four slots (2 x 2GB, 2 x 1GB). Runs fine. In fact, I can notice it feels significantly "snappier" than with only 4GB. I'd probably not notice any good of boost with 16GB, but it's mostly the peace of mind and being set RAM wise for... years upon years. :lol:

methimpikehoses
12-23-10, 04:15 PM
small hanDDS

betterdan
12-23-10, 04:27 PM
Wow, what the heck are you doing on your computer Redeemed? I have 8gb and never use all the ram even when editing AVCHD videos off our Canon HD camcorder.

Redeemed
12-23-10, 04:51 PM
Wow, what the heck are you doing on your computer Redeemed? I have 8gb and never use all the ram even when editing AVCHD videos off our Canon HD camcorder.

For example right now I have-

I.E. open with 5 tabs
WMP open, playing a playlist
Steam
and Metro 2033 (playing it while waiting for Quake 4 to install).

RAM usage of 6GB= 2.48GB or roughly 41% according to task manager. And this is "light" usage for me. :lol:

Like a said, a lot of multi-tasking. :lol:

betterdan
12-23-10, 05:22 PM
So 6GB should be plenty then.

betterdan
12-23-10, 05:31 PM
I just opened up the following...
Steam
IE with 5 tabs of web pages
Microsoft Word 2003
Excel 2003
Outlook 2003
Access 2003
Powerpoint 2003
Windows Live Mail
Windows Media Player playing an internet streaming radio station
Pinnacle Studio Plus version 12
Oblivion with multiple mods

Memory usage was 3.06 GB

Redeemed
12-23-10, 05:32 PM
So 6GB should be plenty then.

I'm hoping so. I'm really leaning towards paying off my debt first. I've been working so hard, been so diligent and frugal with my money for so long (it feels like a while at least) and am so close to being free from debt...

I'm telling my self that maybe this time next year comparable RAM will be on sale for $100 shipped... give or take. :lol: :D

Redeemed
12-23-10, 05:34 PM
I just opened up the following...
Steam
IE with 5 tabs of web pages
Microsoft Word 2003
Excel 2003
Outlook 2003
Access 2003
Powerpoint 2003
Windows Live Mail
Windows Media Player playing an internet streaming radio station
Pinnacle Studio Plus version 12
Oblivion with multiple mods

Memory usage was 3.06 GB

Yeah... as rediculously awesome a deal this is, I'm really thinking on just rocking 6GB for now. :)

Albo
12-23-10, 05:51 PM
You're young.

betterdan
12-23-10, 05:58 PM
I had to go for the small hands option :bleh:

methimpikehoses
12-23-10, 07:44 PM
why would anyone need more than 6gb? money is better spent elsewhere...

betterdan
12-23-10, 07:50 PM
Very true. I only got this other 4gb of Corsair memory because Raptorman sold it to me for $40.

Roadhog
12-23-10, 09:38 PM
why would anyone need more than 6gb? money is better spent elsewhere...

I have 12gb and I use it all...

methimpikehoses
12-23-10, 09:59 PM
o rly

Roadhog
12-23-10, 10:24 PM
o rly

Yep. A few million polly model uses a lot of memory. :p

methimpikehoses
12-23-10, 11:43 PM
well the rest of us just like to play wolfquest, and 6gb is fine. :p

Roadhog
12-24-10, 12:02 AM
well the rest of us just like to play wolfquest, and 6gb is fine. :p

my most played game is minecraft.

ViN86
12-24-10, 12:56 AM
Yea the only people I have seen that use over 6GB of memory are people who deal with very large photos (e.g. CT scan images) and 3D modeling.

jcrox
12-24-10, 10:53 AM
Some medicine for A.D.D. might be a better investment :p

betterdan
12-24-10, 01:05 PM
Why would he want to invest in medicine for DD? Disciple Doc can buy his own damn medicine :eek2:

LydianKnight
12-24-10, 02:15 PM
Why would he want to invest in medicine for DD? Disciple Doc can buy his own damn medicine :eek2:

Awww don't be like that... remember, it's christmas, it's for a good cause :wonder: