PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 to relaunch PC gaming

Pages : [1] 2

K007
12-29-10, 02:05 AM
Microsoft will use Windows 8 to relaunch itself at the forefront of PC gaming, TechRadar understands, with the software giant ready to put its weight behind the platform once more.

http://cdn.mos.techradar.com/classifications/home-entertainment/gaming/games/images/Cryengine3_screenshot-728-75.jpg

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-wants-windows-8-to-relaunch-pc-gaming-917416

Lol.....that's all i can say -.-!

Redeemed
12-29-10, 02:14 AM
The thing is, there's so much potential if Microsoft really did put their weight behind the PC as a gaming platform. It *could* be so awesome! :wonder:

However, we've heard this promise before. Any body remember what Microsoft said regarding PC Gaming, DX10, and Windows Vista?

I'd love to believe this but honestly, they have yet to deliver. I'll believe it when I see it.

PeterJensen
12-29-10, 02:26 AM
Maybe the next Xbox will run some kind of Windows 8 also?

nutcrackr
12-29-10, 03:07 AM
Halo 3 / Gears of War 2 dual pack for $50 December 2011 with improved graphics, more levels and mod tools. Anything less and there is no relaunch.

Vanzagar
12-29-10, 03:32 AM
yawn... enough yapping, let's see their actions...

Bearclaw
12-29-10, 07:36 AM
yawn. **** microsoft. Everyone uses steam. :rofl

Logical
12-29-10, 07:44 AM
Untill i see as much support for PC gaming as they put into Xbox then i will take whatever they say with a pinch of salt....

mailman2
12-29-10, 07:51 AM
Just like we needed DX11 with Windows 7. This is nothing more than their PR machine trying to tell gamers you NEED Windows 8. More BS, more lies.

Remember what Vista and dx10 did for gaming? nearly killed it completely. 20% less performance, we all needed more ram...ran back to XP as fast as most of us could...yea, ok, MS like we'd believe anything you say now....more lies to sell an OS. I'm not biting.

Madpistol
12-29-10, 08:34 AM
I think Steam is the "platform" for games on PC. If Microsoft thinks they can compete with that, they're kidding themselves. I'm not paying $10-15 a month for a game service called "Windows Live" or whatever they're going to call it, when Steam is free and extremely comprehensive. Microsoft had better do something amazing, or this initiative of theirs will surely fail.

Ninjaman09
12-29-10, 08:44 AM
"Relaunch PC gaming"? :rofl

Steam and Blizzard are PC gaming right now. Microsoft's GFWL was a good idea but was executed poorly and can't even come close to touching Steam. All they can really do is force people to upgrade to newer versions of Windows by not releasing newer DirectX versions on "old" platforms.

Moshing
12-29-10, 10:09 AM
I must be just easily impressed then. Sad too, because I really thought DirectX 11 has been the best thing to happen to PC gaming since DirectX 8 introduced the whole concept of shader models. When Dx11 launched, it came with a nice list of GOOD games to play with at least some minimal support for the new features, mainly tessellation. The first year of Dx11 and my pair of 5870's was a pure joy compared to previous generational changes. And then the GTX 580 came out, giving me nearly the same performance but with only one card and one GPU, I've been in hog heaven, playing Stalker CoP, Metro 2033, Dirt 2, AvP, and busily adding more to my backlog to get caught up on.

I haven't had this much choice of good playable, modern feature supporting games in years. PC gaming seems quite healthy and alive and doing great. I may even snag up a second GTX 580 since some of these games seem capable of even making a single GTX580 sweat :D

Edit: And I failed to mention how much fun I'm having with Stalker CoP. Tessellation was the LAST detail I needed out of the Stalker series to really make it immersive for me. I hated the octagon shaped breathers and hoses (not to mention rifle and gun barrels and suppressors) from the first 2 Stalker games, SoC and CS. Absolutely killed my immersion factor. Everything that should be rounded, now is thanks to tessellation and a BEAST of a tessellator GPU to push it with. Huge thank you to Nvidia and AMD for this round of pushing the games and hardware. (I say both Nvidia and AMD since I've been enjoying Dx11 eye-popping fun since September of last year :D )

Edit #2: IN reference to above, I actually see tessellation's importance as every bit as important as excellent quality AA. I've seen rumors of people having trouble with Nvidia hardware and AA during daylight hours in Stalker CoP 1.6.02. I cannot reproduce those problems, but in the attempt to do so I have to say my jaw just DROPPED at how things can look when you REALLY throw the AA settings up there. As far as I can see, AA not only works GREAT in Stalker CoP, between it cranked though the roof and tessellation turned on with best lighting settings, this game is simply beautiful to behold. I find myself wandering around just looking at the sights and ignoring combat often times.

MaXThReAT
12-29-10, 10:50 AM
Microsoft will use Windows 8 to relaunch itself at the forefront of PC gaming

Ha...ha....ha.

Bearclaw
12-29-10, 10:56 AM
I think Steam is the "platform" for games on PC. If Microsoft thinks they can compete with that, they're kidding themselves. I'm not paying $10-15 a month for a game service called "Windows Live" or whatever they're going to call it, when Steam is free and extremely comprehensive. Microsoft had better do something amazing, or this initiative of theirs will surely fail.

this. I will NEVER pay any kind of fee to game.

Moshing
12-29-10, 11:01 AM
"Relaunch PC gaming"? :rofl

Steam and Blizzard are PC gaming right now. Microsoft's GFWL was a good idea but was executed poorly and can't even come close to touching Steam. All they can really do is force people to upgrade to newer versions of Windows by not releasing newer DirectX versions on "old" platforms.

Wow, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. My entire gaming catalog is on Steam right now. I've almost gotten to the point of being dissappointed if a new game comes out and it's not available through Steam, I may not even get it unless it's REALLY a big deal game.

Sean_W
12-29-10, 11:27 AM
I wish Microsoft break their silly marketing crap between DirectX and the OS. We here all know it's DirectX that does the work and has nothing to do with their OS.

They're trying to sell you the new Windows OS because it's better for PC gamers, which is a load of crap because without DirectX it's almost useless. No doubt Windows 8 will do the same crap but just have DirectX 12, a lot of runtimes, DX updates and extra DLLs.

What are Microsoft going to do? Sell us stupid dancing, kiddy games like on the Kinect? Woohhoo, I cannot wait.

Moshing
12-29-10, 11:30 AM
I wish Microsoft break their silly marketing crap between DirectX and the OS. We here all know it's DirectX that does the work and has nothing to do with their OS.

They're trying to sell you the new Windows OS because it's better for PC gamers, which is a load of crap because without DirectX it's almost useless. No doubt Windows 8 will do the same crap but just have DirectX 12, a lot of runtimes, DX updates and extra DLLs.

While I agree MS did that with tying Dx10 to Vista, it did not do the same with Windows 7's tie to Dx11. Backwards compatibility to Vista for Dx11 is standardized. But there's no betting which way Dx12 will go, tied in to it's launch gen (Win8) or multi-gen supporting (Vista/7/8).

Kemo
12-29-10, 11:58 AM
You can be sure that MS will charge for anything it can. They WILL charge for GFWL and people WILL pay for it, just like xbox live. MS lost their integrity with after XP.

Sean_W
12-29-10, 12:13 PM
I understand the technical side to why DX10 was Vista only at the time, it's just why Windows is marketed to gamers that I have a problem with.

DirectX is tied to the OS to the point where you need a new OS for a new version because of how the driver model works, in my view that bad but has it's advantage for gaming. I prefer a graphics API like OpenGL that isn't tied to the OS that way.

It's just predictable this sort of thing was going to happen with Windows and the PC gaming market, ever since Microsoft launched the XBox. Microsoft get to decide where their resources go and they have full control on where PC gaming goes, dictated by their graphics API tied to Windows. Microsoft don't care about PC gaming because they don't make much money from it, only selling Windows to PC gamers are they making any kind of money, but you need Windows anyway to play 'Windows' games, so it's all an up-selling plan.

|MaguS|
12-29-10, 12:15 PM
Oh man I can't wait to see DX in Windows 8! I remember those screenshots of DX10 in Vista, Hot Dam did it look awesome!

snowmanwithahat
12-29-10, 12:34 PM
Maybe the next Xbox will run some kind of Windows 8 also?

That would produce an epic win for the PC industry if we could use console games directly with an xbox (usb) controller.... Instead of waiting for crappy and buggy ports, just use the game natively

mullet
12-29-10, 12:51 PM
How many times are we going to hear this from microsoft.

Sean_W
12-29-10, 01:19 PM
That would produce an epic win for the PC industry if we could use console games directly with an xbox (usb) controller.... Instead of waiting for crappy and buggy ports, just use the game natively

Again, it's got nothing to do with the OS. If the XBox used Windows 8, it wouldn't solve anything. The XBox and the PC both use DirectX and ports are easier than ever in that sense.

Also, what's not "native" about the ports? I think the main issue is, that developers don't seem to optimise the game to run on the PC optimally but at the same time, the PC version is almost always better anyway. If you want an example of that. Gothic 4 only uses one core in the file setup for it and you'll notice a few games have to be patched after for dual-cores, because the game is ideally optimised for 6 cores on the XBox.

Elvin Presler
12-29-10, 01:40 PM
Microsoft will use Windows 8 to relaunch itself at the forefront of PC gaming, TechRadar understands, with the software giant ready to put its weight behind the platform once more.

Translation: The same time as Windows 8's release, Micro$oft will release a single, shoddy Xbox port game (Halo 4 or some crap) as a Windows 8 only game....running on Directx 9 or 10 at best. Also, all flavors of Windows 8 will come with a new version of GFWL installed by default that will pop up a "buy games on Windows LIVE!" nag screen every time you launch or close a non MS game. And when you try to close it, you get a "must have administrator privileges" nag screen as well.

mailman2
12-29-10, 03:04 PM
What are Microsoft going to do? Sell us stupid dancing, kiddy games like on the Kinect? Woohhoo, I cannot wait.

Its coming...

ViN86
12-29-10, 08:12 PM
Translation: The same time as Windows 8's release, Micro$oft will release a single, shoddy Xbox port game (Halo 4 or some crap) as a Windows 8 only game....running on Directx 9 or 10 at best. Also, all flavors of Windows 8 will come with a new version of GFWL installed by default that will pop up a "buy games on Windows LIVE!" nag screen every time you launch or close a non MS game. And when you try to close it, you get a "must have administrator privileges" nag screen as well.

Hahaha the sad part is that you're probably not too far off from what it will actually be.