PDA

View Full Version : Best hard drive for storage?

Ghosthunter
12-31-10, 10:40 AM
I was looking at adding two - 2 TB drives to my existing system so it will be a media system,

My questions which is the best drive in terms of reliability, and speed but not super expensive?

I usually buy western digital in past but i see samsung have been out there now.

Thanks in advance

Q
12-31-10, 10:47 AM
I've always been very impressed with Samsung drives. Although every series varies among manufacturers, and even within batches, I've had a far better track record with WD and Samsung than with Maxtor/Seagate. Samsung drives tend to run quieter and cooler than the competition, if a bit slower. Samsung does sell some 5400 RPM drives, but I honestly don't notice the difference at that density for general file storage. For a media system I'd likely go with the 7200 RPM variant unless sound and heat are very big issues.

Are you going to be RAIDing the two drives? If so, stay away from the WD Green models. Other than that, just find the cheapest 2 GB WD or Samsung and you should be good.

Also, one of my first computers had a 4 GB Samsung drive in it. I dropped the computer nearly four feet while running and the thing was fine until it was fine for several years past that incident. It would probably still be fine now if it was worth using.

Ghosthunter
12-31-10, 11:11 AM
I was not planning on raiding, due to losing space if i were to go raid 1 or raid 0+1, and raid 0 too risky for me

Ghosthunter
12-31-10, 11:18 AM
I was thinking of this drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

for the price and is still 7200 rpm, kind of hesitant to go 5400 rpm.

I could not find it but does samsung make a 2 TB in 7200 rpm?

mullet
12-31-10, 11:21 AM
WD black 1TB.

Ghosthunter
12-31-10, 11:36 AM
WD black 1TB.

out of curiosity why over samsung? more reliable?

gong by comments on newegg...man it hard to decide which drive is more reliable it like 50/50

Aphot
12-31-10, 12:09 PM
WD black drives are really speedy and reliable.

Maverick123w
12-31-10, 12:13 PM
WD black 1TB.

QFT

Moshing
12-31-10, 12:26 PM
I use WD 1Tb Blacks for fast, application install and quick storage. But for larger scale storage, I use several WD Green series 2Tb drives. Stays under the MBT/GPT limit per drive, and are quiet, low power drives that are surprisingly quick at seeks. 64mb cache makes the Green 2Tb an unexpectedly snappy drive.

So I use a mix in my storage needs. SSDs for OS and priority apps/drivers. WD 1Tb Black Series for games/low priority apps/quick storage. And then multiple WD 2Tb Green Series (mirrored together) for deep, massive storage. A specialized, multi-tiered approach has never been more accessible then it is now. The right performance and capacity for the right job.

JasonPC
12-31-10, 12:52 PM
I actually had about a year old WD Green fail on me. But they replaced it with a newer model which seems much improved (more cache, much snappier). My WD Black has been very reliable and speedy. They are much noisier than the nearly silent WD Green though.

Bman212121
01-03-11, 01:19 PM
I actually had about a year old WD Green fail on me. But they replaced it with a newer model which seems much improved (more cache, much snappier). My WD Black has been very reliable and speedy. They are much noisier than the nearly silent WD Green though.

Heh just had both of my WD Green Power 2TBs fail on me. I'll probably start looking at Seagate 3TB drives soon. Both of my drives were approximately 1 year old as well.

Bearclaw
01-03-11, 02:29 PM
Anything but WD Green drives. Those fail more often than DD eats KFC.

DiscipleDOC
01-03-11, 02:43 PM
Anything but WD Green drives. Those fail more often than DD eats KFC.

raciss bastid

betterdan
01-03-11, 03:53 PM
:rofl damn

Ghosthunter
01-20-11, 06:02 AM
so i decided to go with 2 Samsung F3 1 TB HD103SJ, ordered directly from amazon

Well they came horribly packaged in this big box, barely any bubble wrap and a few air pillows. I will never order from them again.

Well one drive was DOA, as soon as I turned on machine it started that clicking noise. The other drive seems to work ok so far but not sure.

Is there a way I can really test this drive? afraid to put data on it. I also notice no utilities will pick up the S.M.A.R.T. info even thouh my first WD in there has it so I know it is enabled in bios.

I already got RMA on way today, for both drives because I assume this one will fail too, will see how they are packed if they are just as bad I might just send them all back.

Guess that is what I get for trying to save money

Bman212121
01-20-11, 09:34 AM
so i decided to go with 2 Samsung F3 1 TB HD103SJ, ordered directly from amazon

Well they came horribly packaged in this big box, barely any bubble wrap and a few air pillows. I will never order from them again.

Well one drive was DOA, as soon as I turned on machine it started that clicking noise. The other drive seems to work ok so far but not sure.

Is there a way I can really test this drive? afraid to put data on it. I also notice no utilities will pick up the S.M.A.R.T. info even thouh my first WD in there has it so I know it is enabled in bios.

I already got RMA on way today, for both drives because I assume this one will fail too, will see how they are packed if they are just as bad I might just send them all back.

Guess that is what I get for trying to save money

That sucks. :( I really don't understand the logic behind poorly packaging hard drives. Newegg was the same way for the longest time. I just always make sure I buy retail drives and not OEM, that way at least I know they are inside of a box.

Ghosthunter
01-20-11, 10:08 AM
That sucks. :( I really don't understand the logic behind poorly packaging hard drives. Newegg was the same way for the longest time. I just always make sure I buy retail drives and not OEM, that way at least I know they are inside of a box.

yeah I should have just went for Newegg but i had some gift certs for amazon and it was cheaper..

Well they are coming today if it is packaged same way after I made a big stink going to send all back

mullet
01-20-11, 05:27 PM
If you saw how UPS handles there box's you would all cringe being to total hardware geeks we are.

nekrosoft13
01-20-11, 06:41 PM
when you said you bought it from amazon, do you mean actually from amazon or one of amazon third party dealers?

a lot of items sold on amazon are not actually sold by amazon.

Ghosthunter
01-20-11, 07:19 PM
I actually bought it directly from amazon, but here is an update replacements came today and this one is 10x times better, it actually looks like it was shipped right how samsung ships it. One big box but in there was two individual boxes and was in its original hardclam shell and held up by those two big black sleeves to keep it from going anywhere. Also came with basic documentation from Samsung like how to install and so on.

Also the interesting thing is these drives register under samsung site for warranty, the ones I originally got said had no warranty becuase they were OEM and if a problem have to go back to where I bought them fomr, which was weird to me since when I bought WD OEM can still use their warranty.

I ran these under samsung diags and everything is good and also changed AAm to fast.

I have two questions:

1) Does it matter which port I plug it into my SATA interface? I have 6 ports, and I just picked any two that was easy to get to, or should it be in order?

2) No matter what I try cannot get any utility to read the S.M.A.R.T info, it no big deal just nice to have that feature, last drives could not do that as well.

Here is my HDTune benchmark I assume this is good for the drive?

http://i56.tinypic.com/oqd935.png

bob saget
01-20-11, 08:13 PM
WD Black....