PDA

View Full Version : Corsair AX1200 PSU - One Loud Beast

Pages : [1] 2

Peoples-Agent
01-14-11, 05:55 AM
Hi folks,

So I just had to replace my XFX 850 Watt Core Edition PSU, was making a clicking sound under load.

Got a Corsair AX 1200, thought why not go all out but sheeeesh this is one loud unit.

Anyone else here got one and find it to be pretty loud?

grey_1
01-14-11, 07:45 AM
I don't have one, but I was thinking about it as I think my PSU is losing it;s efficiency. I'm glad you posted this, I think I'll research other units.

I like having a quiet computer....

Bearclaw
01-14-11, 09:40 AM
Grey - I have a THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&cm_re=corsair_650w-_-17-139-012-_-Product) one and it is silent. Great PSU, too. :thumbsup:

grey_1
01-14-11, 10:20 AM
Grey - I have a THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&cm_re=corsair_650w-_-17-139-012-_-Product) one and it is silent. Great PSU, too. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bc - It's the 750w HX I have now, so yes, I agree with you. :D

I need a MM before I decide this one needs replacing, but I'm pretty sure it's on it's way out. I may grab the 850w if I see it on sale though.

Bearclaw
01-14-11, 10:22 AM
Thanks Bc - It's the 750w HX I have now, so yes, I agree with you. :D

I need a MM before I decide this one needs replacing, but I'm pretty sure it's on it's way out. I may grab the 850w if I see it on sale though.

Ya, I wanted the 850W but just wasn't in the budget. Had to scale back to the 650W. Gets the job done.

grey_1
01-14-11, 10:28 AM
Ya, I wanted the 850W but just wasn't in the budget. Had to scale back to the 650W. Gets the job done.

Yep, they're great PSUs for sure - I'm just trying to account for more hardware being added later. :)

Peoples-Agent
01-14-11, 11:02 AM
It's a strange noise. Not so sure it's "loud" I think the noise is just different. Noticeable.

A completely modular design was a joy to fit though, so much better to install.

mullet
01-14-11, 11:03 AM
80 Plus Gold (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015)

Bearclaw
01-14-11, 11:36 AM
Yep, they're great PSUs for sure - I'm just trying to account for more hardware being added later. :)
Ya, same here. I'll update my PSU when I add more.

It's a strange noise. Not so sure it's "loud" I think the noise is just different. Noticeable.

A completely modular design was a joy to fit though, so much better to install.

Ya, I ONLY use modular.

grey_1
01-14-11, 01:55 PM
AFAIK it's not really silent at lower loads but on the plus side, it doesn't get much louder while under stress. But that's probably the weak spot, otherwise it's the PSU to get right now.

Problem on a forum is "loud" is subjective. What's loud to you may be silent to me....old ears and all :lol:

grey_1
01-14-11, 01:56 PM
80 Plus Gold (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015)

I thought the HX series were higher rated than the AX?? I'll post what I read about if I can find it again.

Peoples-Agent
01-14-11, 03:03 PM
I thought the HX series were higher rated than the AX?? I'll post what I read about if I can find it again.

Nah, AX1200 is the "flagship" Corsair.

Someone mentioned it doesn't get louder under load, that is very true. It doesn't get louder at all, doing anything on here.

grey_1
01-14-11, 03:24 PM
Nah, AX1200 is the "flagship" Corsair.

Someone mentioned it doesn't get louder under load, that is very true. It doesn't get louder at all, doing anything on here.

Wish I knew someone who had one. I'd hate to spend the cash and regret it.

Redeemed
01-14-11, 03:26 PM
Wish I knew someone who had one. I'd hate to spend the cash and regret it.

If it's any help bro... I've been very pleased with my Silverstone Zeus 850watt PSU. Whenever I pickup another PSU I'll do my darndest to get Silverstone again- even if I have to wait a bit longer to have the cash. :)

This one I'm using now- bought back before the 8800's came out. Got it to power my 8800s I had in SLi, and it's been going faithfully ever since. Probably not another piece of hardware I've owned as long as I've had this PSU. :)

EDIT:Here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256057) a solid 1kw Silverstone, only $165 after MIR. Even before MIR it's cheaper than a comparable Corsair. Being single rail it'll have plenty of power for your system. You could likely add a second 480, or even up it to two 580s with this beast. :)

grey_1
01-14-11, 03:29 PM
If it's any help bro... I've been very pleased with my Silverstone Zeus 850watt PSU. Whenever I pickup another PSU I'll do my darndest to get Silverstone again- even if I have to wait a bit longer to have the cash. :)

This one I'm using now- bought back before the 8800's came out. Got it to power my 8800s I had in SLi, and it's been going faithfully ever since. Probably not another piece of hardware I've owned as long as I've had this PSU. :)

Thanks, sticking with Corsair this time around though. I do like Silverstone though, mine is still faithfully powering my other rig, nary a hiccup after 2+ years.

Redeemed
01-14-11, 03:39 PM
Thanks, sticking with Corsair this time around though. I do like Silverstone though, mine is still faithfully powering my other rig, nary a hiccup after 2+ years.

Bah- too fast for my ninja edit. :lol:

Either way, Corsair is a great brand as well. Likely you'd be pleased with either. :)

bob saget
01-14-11, 03:44 PM
i know my corsair had coil whine when i just got it, but then it went away.

mullet
01-14-11, 03:53 PM
HX is silver rated. My next PSU will be corsair.

grey_1
01-14-11, 06:25 PM
Bah- too fast for my ninja edit. :lol:

Either way, Corsair is a great brand as well. Likely you'd be pleased with either. :)

That's a nice PSU you linked there in your edit - I think I may have to research professional reviews on that unit, thanks. :)

K007
01-14-11, 08:15 PM
This is what i was going to get as well...the reviews give it a really good thumbs up...

how loud is it?

grey_1
01-15-11, 07:49 AM
Well, here's Johnnyguru's summary of the AX1200.

Summary

There is a whole lot to like about the new Corsair AX1200, and very little indeed to hate. Lots of power, lots of connectors, and all of those connectors come off if you want them to. And we can't forget about the efficiency, which just about outclasses everything else I've ever tested. Do you need any other reason to buy one? Let's face it - Corsair's new baby is made of awesome sauce, and I know you all want a taste. Stop reading my review and buy one, already!

The Good:

* among the highest efficiency I've tested to date
* extremely low ripple
* lots of connectors
* fully modular
* very stable

The Bad:

* somehow, they're going to have to top this one... eventually

The Mediocre:

* single 12V rails are nice... to a point. I think we're getting real close to reaching that point.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=189

That's tough to beat.

OTOH that Silverstone will be a pass as the ripple on the 3&5v rails was a concern while testing - not a fan of ripple current.

Airbrushkid
01-15-11, 08:33 AM
Have thought about an Antec? I have a350, 400, Truepower 650 and a TruePower Quattro 1000w. And all have very good no problems. I pland on getting a TPQ-1200w.

ViN86
01-15-11, 09:31 AM
Well, here's Johnnyguru's summary of the AX1200.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=189

That's tough to beat.

OTOH that Silverstone will be a pass as the ripple on the 3&5v rails was a concern while testing - not a fan of ripple current.

Nice review. Anyone know why single 12V rails are good to a point? Because the components required to pass 1200W are extremely beefy?

grey_1
01-15-11, 04:02 PM
Nice review. Anyone know why single 12V rails are good to a point? Because the components required to pass 1200W are extremely beefy?

I would think it has to do with efficiency. Any increase in amp draw increases heat which lowers efficiency. Being able to separate that draw among multiple rails may be the better compromise.

Just guessing :lol: but it seems to make sense.

K007
01-15-11, 07:46 PM
It seems like a lot of the corsair psu's have issues...

znOez7ki7JA&

dj1T7JpORA0&

hmm spending that much money...not sure if i wanna take a chance on a this.