PDA

View Full Version : FPS & Online gaming.

ATOJAR
01-14-11, 09:15 AM
FPS(frames per second)

How does FPS affect multilayer gaming? ....

Me and a friend where having a debate about system specs & the effect they have on FPS... He was basically saying "whats the point in spending all that cash on a i7 & a GTX 580 when the eye cannot see anything above 30 FPS" ... He has a Q6600 & a GTX 260.

If for example in game i had 60 - 100 FPS and my friend has 30 - 35 FPS how would this effect gameplay?

Would/does Higher FPS have an advantage in multilayer gaming or not?

grey_1
01-14-11, 09:22 AM
I think the MP fps caps have more to do with keeping all players response times the same than anything else. Without it I think more players would experience lag, which would let a player with no lag cap you before you can respond.

I may be a bit off there, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Ninjaman09
01-14-11, 09:46 AM
Should read this - http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

The human eye is a lot more complicated than "30 Hz", and your friend is definitely wrong. Back when I was on a CRT monitor I could notice a difference between 60 FPS and 90 FPS quite easily (the screen's max refresh was 100hz at 1280x960).

As for how it would affect gameplay, that really depends on you. Personally I find it much easier to aim in FPS games with 60+ fps than with 30. Some games though, like Crysis and Metro 2033, have very tight controls and are easy to aim with even with FPS in the teens. I guess that's because of their use of motion blur.

frenchy2k1
01-14-11, 02:30 PM
seconded. Human eyes see well over 30Hz. The only reason cinema (at 24Hz) seems smooth is the setting (bright screen with dark environment), taking advantage of the eye's natural after image in high contrast situation.

As far as gaming impact, you get 2 factors (at least): the refresh rate gives you more and better information (position, speed...), then you need a good gamer to be able to take advantage of it. ;)

newparad1gm
01-14-11, 04:59 PM
It's not just about average fps either. It's also about keeping those minimum framerates high as well, so you don't run into situations where you see an opponent online, and then suddenly suffer some framerate drops, and the next thing you know you were defeated.

proliferazor
01-15-11, 12:57 AM
just today i noticed a difference in M&B warband with 120 and 60 fps.

When talking about advantages in multi though anything over 30 you will be fine. After than its more about how good the server is running than you.