PDA

View Full Version : Need a PCIe RAID Card

ViN86
01-18-11, 09:40 AM
My father's motherboard is having issues with the SATA ports. He has my old hardware, so it's an E8400, DFI P35, and 2x2GB DDR2-800. The machine isn't overclocked. For some reason, the drives randomly disappear from BIOS, then randomly reappear, sometimes with errors.

I set up a 2x1TB RAID 1 configuration for him using the Intel RAID controller, and now it's having issues because one of the drives keeps dropping from BIOS and ruining the RAID array. Intel then tries to repair the array (once it realizes the drive is there, again, randomly), but the same thing happens soon after and the array is destroyed.

I was thinking, since DFI no longer takes RMA's (I don't know if the board is even covered still), maybe I could fix it short term by getting a PCIe RAID card with 2 SATA ports. I would really appreciate it if you could find me one under $40. It only needs 2 SATA II ports and only really needs RAID 1.

Anything more and it makes more sense to just replace the motherboard.

mullet
01-18-11, 11:39 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132008

ViN86
01-18-11, 11:59 AM
Thanks mullet. I was checking those out earlier. You think the Rosewill cards are ok? I guess it shouldn't be too bad as long as the Silicon Image chip is decent. Then again, my budget is pretty limited.

Q
01-18-11, 01:06 PM
If you're talking under $100, not even under $40, I would say they are all the same.

I'm running a Rocket-whatever card for two ports. Performance is fine for what they're doing.

ViN86
01-18-11, 01:20 PM
Thanks Q. I just need reliable performance. I don't care if it's not the fastest thing ever. It just needs to be reliable

nekrosoft13
01-18-11, 05:50 PM
If you're talking under $100, not even under $40, I would say they are all the same.
I'm running a Rocket-whatever card for two ports. Performance is fine for what they're doing.

almost the same, for cheap you only really got two choices, Silicon Image based or Jmicron based.

I tried both, had better luck with Jmicron based(got 3 Silicon Image based cards that are Junk), brand doesn't really matter since pretty much all of them are build on reference design by some Asian supplier.

Just with Silicon Image based cards becareful some cards come with BIOS chip that can't be flashed/updated and usually the BIOS is ancient, and since it can't be updated those cards usually don't play nice in newer systems.

ViN86
01-18-11, 06:17 PM
almost the same, for cheap you only really got two choices, Silicon Image based or Jmicron based.

I tried both, had better luck with Jmicron based(got 3 Silicon Image based cards that are Junk), brand doesn't really matter since pretty much all of them are build on reference design by some Asian supplier.

Just with Silicon Image based cards becareful some cards come with BIOS chip that can't be flashed/updated and usually the BIOS is ancient, and since it can't be updated those cards usually don't play nice in newer systems.

Thanks nekro. Maybe I'll check out a JMicron based board instead.

EDIT: The card that mullet listed says it supports Win7 and the reviews are pretty good. I'll check out the manual on it and see if it's upgradeable.

ViN86
01-18-11, 06:28 PM
Well I found the page on the Rosewill site for the card:

http://www.rosewill.com/products/462/productDetail.htm

Says it supports Win7 x64, which is great. If the drivers are new, then the card should be pretty good for my dad's uses. I think I am going to tell him to get the Rosewill card. I will post back and let you all know how it works out if he decides to go that route (instead of the new motherboard route).

EDIT: He ordered the card. I will post back once I get it installed and working.

nekrosoft13
01-18-11, 06:42 PM
good luck

ViN86
01-18-11, 06:49 PM
good luck

Thanks lol. Do I need it? :bleh:

Redeemed
01-18-11, 06:52 PM

Considering it's you we're talking about- likely.

:D

ViN86
01-18-11, 06:55 PM
Considering it's you we're talking about- likely.

:D

LOL says the guy who I had to teach how to setup a static IP with a dynamic DNS. :p

Redeemed
01-18-11, 06:56 PM
LOL says the guy who I had to teach how to setup a static IP. :p

:lol:

Roadhog
01-18-11, 07:04 PM
LOL says the guy who I had to teach how to setup a static IP with a dynamic DNS. :p

ROFL

nekrosoft13
01-18-11, 09:38 PM

as far as getting one that actually works, and can be updated, then yes.