PDA

View Full Version : Buy Portal 2 on the PS3, get the PC version free. - Cross platform.

K007
01-19-11, 02:51 AM
Thats right..u can play with ure ps3 friends on pc or vice versa.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/18/play-portal-2-with-ps3-owners/

Trust a game about the creation of impossible pathways to feature cross-platform play between PC and PS3. Yes! Valve has announced that Portal 2′s new co-operative mode will allow PC gamers to play the game with anyone playing the game on a PS3. Thereíll be cross-platform chat, too, though those guys might be a little quiet compared to us as unlike the 360 the PS3 doesnít come with a headset as standard. Anyway, thatís not the only PC-related bonus that PS3 owners will be getting.

Anybody who buys Portal 2 on the PS3 will be able to link their Playstation Network account with their Steam account to receive a copy of Portal 2 on PC at no extra cost via the SteamPlay initiative, which up until now has simply meant that Mac games purchased on Steam also give you the Windows equivalent, and vice versa.

Lovely news, although if Iím honest what Iíd really love is the opportunity for us PC gamers to explore the broken and deeply unsettling world of Playstation Home. Thatíd be fun.

You want to know how messed up Playstation Home is? Ages back they created a promotional DJ Hero space in Home where one of the things you could do was win a Dizzee Rascal mask. What a lovely idea! Now, hereís a picture of that idea in execution.

Mr. Hunt
01-19-11, 04:54 AM
Yup, heard about this earlier. I love it and I'm going to be buying the PS3 version.

ViN86
01-19-11, 08:10 AM
Damn it, all my friends are on 360.

Albo
01-19-11, 09:11 AM
Is it only on pre-orders?

What if you buy the PS3 version in a gamestop bin in July for $20, can you get the PC version as well?

This is pretty cool, nonetheless.

Madpistol
01-19-11, 09:22 AM
I'll get the PS3 version for sure. Sounds like a good deal. :)

HiCZoK4
01-19-11, 09:25 AM
GREAT! I never liked to buy one game twice ....

|MaguS|
01-19-11, 09:45 AM
Is it only on pre-orders?

What if you buy the PS3 version in a gamestop bin in July for $20, can you get the PC version as well?

This is pretty cool, nonetheless.

If its not used then probably but if its a used copy you probably lose the PC version since its a code voucher.

Roadhog
01-19-11, 10:20 AM
In before console players suck at coop

ViN86
01-19-11, 10:56 AM
I might as well buy the PS3 version then. For $5 more than the PC version I get both...

zoomy942
01-19-11, 12:01 PM
coop is the best gameplay type. love it!

ViN86
01-19-11, 12:15 PM
Doesn't still boost PS3 sales? Unusual for Valve...
I'll stick to the PC/Mac only version.

So? If you have a PS3, it makes sense to spend an extra $5 and get copies for both platforms.

Peoples-Agent
01-19-11, 01:52 PM
I will buy the PS3 version, get the Steam copy then trade the PS3 version in.... surely has to work out cheaper.

|MaguS|
01-19-11, 02:52 PM
I will buy the PS3 version, get the Steam copy then trade the PS3 version in.... surely has to work out cheaper.

Depends, Rumor is that the PS3 version is going to be like any steamwork game on PC and tied to your account. So trade in might not be possible.

Viral
01-19-11, 05:48 PM
I think Portal on PS3 would frustrate the hell out of me... No sale, PC only for me.

nutcrackr
01-19-11, 06:28 PM
Neat although retail prices of PS3 games are like twice the price of games on Steam anyway, so not sure it would be worth it.

At least it should bring some ps3 players to Steam? And will mean more people to play coop with. I for one plan on doing my best to be friendly to ps3 gamers, it could be a worthy partnership.

Peoples-Agent
01-20-11, 07:50 AM
Depends, Rumor is that the PS3 version is going to be like any steamwork game on PC and tied to your account. So trade in might not be possible.

Unless you get the PC disc in the box and it's not a download, then no.

But otherwise, if its a PS3 disc & case.... they will take it in trade and disregard any online extras, kinda like how they do DLC currently.

|MaguS|
01-20-11, 11:47 AM
Unless you get the PC disc in the box and it's not a download, then no.

But otherwise, if its a PS3 disc & case.... they will take it in trade and disregard any online extras, kinda like how they do DLC currently.

Unless the PS3 game comes with a serial key that you put in to register it with steamworks and then grants you another digital copy for the PC. If that key is used then the disc becomes worthless other then to launch the game since you wont be able to play the game without a steam account login.