PDA

View Full Version : Bad FPS in BC2 with Intel's Q9xxx quads? Try THIS!

Soetdjuret
01-20-11, 12:03 AM
Hey there fellow nvnewsers... I've been playing BC2 for a long time, and i always have struggled with the performance in this game. I upgraded from a E8400 to a Q9550 in order to get better framerates. I did not, and i've always been playing the game with 20 - 30 fps on maps like Arica, Panama, Atacama and Oasis... Today i took some time to check the CPU usage in the performance tab in Task manager, and i saw that my forth core was working at 90% while my other 3 cores were around 50 - 60% while playing. So i figured to try and disable the fourth core, said and done.. And back ingame and Baaah, what a difference, did 3 fast benchmarks on 3 minutes each in Arica with Fraps and the average fps was over 50 on all 3 benchmarks. . . So, if you like me got performance issues using the intel quad Q9 series, try it out. It might be a difference between night and day.

That's all i wanted to share. Thanks for reading :afro2:

bob saget
01-20-11, 12:28 AM
nice dude. keep up with the rape.

Soetdjuret
01-20-11, 12:34 AM
I pwn hard with the SVU, but they keep calling me cheater on them european servers, especially germans :(, same when i go UMP rage. always ending on at least 2-3 K/DR with over 40 kills, and i never use to camp with the SVU, i use sensors and rush em butts along with my 2x Platina revolver. Gotta love teh revolver in this game.

bob saget
01-20-11, 12:37 AM
sensors are SO SO useful, especially when you are one of the few good players on a team, and you can't rely on people.

Set charge, put C4 on it, run away, and throw motion mine. as soon as people are running to diffuse, boom.

mojoman0
01-20-11, 12:48 AM
Weird I have the same CPU usage but get 30-60fps, more in Vietnam. My 4th core is always maxed out. I'll disable it trow just to see what happenS

Crow_Nest
01-20-11, 04:29 AM
I know its a dumb question but: How do you choose which core to disable? :O

jlippo
01-20-11, 05:00 AM
I know its a dumb question but: How do you choose which core to disable? :O
in task manager within process tab.
right click on process, set affinity.
select threads you want to use.

mailman2
01-20-11, 07:54 AM
Hey there fellow nvnewsers... I've been playing BC2 for a long time, and i always have struggled with the performance in this game. I upgraded from a E8400 to a Q9550 in order to get better framerates. I did not, and i've always been playing the game with 20 - 30 fps on maps like Arica, Panama, Atacama and Oasis... Today i took some time to check the CPU usage in the performance tab in Task manager, and i saw that my forth core was working at 90% while my other 3 cores were around 50 - 60% while playing. So i figured to try and disable the fourth core, said and done.. And back ingame and Baaah, what a difference, did 3 fast benchmarks on 3 minutes each in Arica with Fraps and the average fps was over 50 on all 3 benchmarks. . . So, if you like me got performance issues using the intel quad Q9 series, try it out. It might be a difference between night and day.

This was the fix for the BF BC2 stutter way back before they confirmed and fixed it. I worked with Manuel from Nvidia on this for months before someone found it. The CPU multi-core optimizations were causing the issues in BF BC2 and MOH.

So... are you using old drivers?

Q
01-20-11, 08:08 AM
nice dude. keep up with the rape.

Camporz?

DansFace
01-20-11, 03:46 PM
hmm I wonder if this would be a issue with a Q6600? Even with my 6970 I feel like my frames should be higher...

Tygerwoody
01-20-11, 05:25 PM
people still play Battlefield BC2? They haven't released BC 4 yet?

Roadhog
01-20-11, 06:10 PM
hmm I wonder if this would be a issue with a Q6600? Even with my 6970 I feel like my frames should be higher...

http://www.legionhardware.com/images/review/Battlefield_Bad_Company_2_Tuning_Guide/CPU.png

bob saget
01-20-11, 07:29 PM
Camporz?

yes mom.

JasonPC
01-20-11, 07:41 PM
Weird I never had this issue with my Core 2 Quad (before my motherboard died).

Soetdjuret
01-21-11, 06:12 AM
Man, i bumped up everything to High now and added 8xMSAA and I got about 50 - 60 fps in Harvest day.. amazing :) I so wish i could run supersampling in this game, it would look like the loading screens ^^

So... are you using old drivers?
Camporz?
I never usually camp, even when i have the GOL i run for flags and stick with my teammates to give them necessary covering sniperfire. I don't stay at 1 spot camping like most recon teams, that's why am so lethal to enemy players, and the whining continues :o

Drolfrawd
01-21-11, 06:19 AM

I have a Q9550 and a GTX260, when i had a E8400 i could get 19000 marks with 3Dmark06
When I changed to the Q9550 , my frame rate dropped by 3000 marks. I spoke abou tit at the time to other members who said that would be expected as the dual core chips are better for games. I don't know enough about it to be technical as to the whys of it.

Soetdjuret
01-21-11, 06:32 AM
I have a Q9550 and a GTX260, when i had a E8400 i could get 19000 marks with 3Dmark06
When I changed to the Q9550 , my frame rate dropped by 3000 marks. I spoke abou tit at the time to other members who said that would be expected as the dual core chips are better for games. I don't know enough about it to be technical as to the whys of it.

Maybe because the 3dmark06 isn't optimized for quad-core cpu's and doesn't support it so well? And afaik the e8400 has a 3ghz speed and the q9550 has 2.83, therefor a game or application who doesn't take advantage of 4 cores would run slightly slower. Crysis is a good example, a e8400 should run slightly better than a q9550.

Burnt_Ram
01-26-11, 12:00 PM
i got tired of my Q6600 @ 3.4 struggling with BC2!!! so i upgraded both my comps to i5's and the issue is solved. however a C2Q above 3ghz SHOULD run it better, but for whatever reason they don't, i also found this to be true for black ops ... :thumbdwn:

mojoman0
01-26-11, 01:17 PM
yea I pushed my Q8300 to around 3.0 ghz and only got a few frames. was hoping for a tad more and never got completely stable so just said screw it. Vietnam also runs about 15 fps better anyways and thats what Ive been playing lately. Super smooth