View Full Version : Direct3D and OpenGL freeze computer with 440MX

SmilingBoy
08-03-03, 03:03 PM
Hello

-Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
-Motherboard: Abit KD7-RAID
-RAM: 2x512 MB
-Chipset: Via KT400
-Graphics Card: Asus V9180 Magic (nvidia MX440 with 8x AGP)
-TV Card: Terratec Synergy 400
-Mouse&Keyboard on PS2
-ADSL PCI card (Itex Apollo 3 chipset)

I am not entirely sure whether this is the right forum - please correct me if I should post somewhere else.

I installed my new computer and it almost works fine... The problem seems to be the graphic card, when using Direct3D or OpenGL.

Initially, the computer froze very often (but always when performing the same action). For example, it froze, when I clicked on "Update" of the AVG virus scanner (it brings up a little moving graphic normally). Or when I opened any movie file (froze as soon as the player was starting to play). Also on some websites.

With "froze" I mean that the screen locked (you could still see everything, it didn't go black). You could still move the mouse pointer (but no input from the keyboard was accepted). After a while and when clicking around a bit, the computer gave a beep and froze completely (ie mouse pointer didn't move anymore either). Only the Reset button helps.

I managed to solve these problems in "perfomance" under "Advanced display properties". I moved the hardware acceleration slider to the left. The freezes did not occur anymore as soon as I had the slider moved three to the left and Direct3D and DirectDraw were disabled.

However, now Direct3D does not work anymore...

If I open an application using Direct3D or OpenGL, the computer freezes immediately, requiring the RESET button.

I have updated my BIOS, Windows, got the newest Via 4in1 drivers, the 44.71 nvidia drivers (from Asus, but I also tried the ones from the nvidia website). No avail.

I fiddled around a bit with my BIOS settings, but it didn't seem to help either.

Note: I have problems with the Linux nvidia driver as well. See the Linux forum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, please let me know.

Thanks.

Michael.

ChrisRay
08-03-03, 04:47 PM
I am curious. Do you have any spare Graphic cards to test this with? Obviously the best way to troubleshoot is to start from the begining to end.

SmilingBoy
08-03-03, 04:57 PM
Afraid I have no spare cards lying around...

My (6-year-)old computer has a card with a SiS6126 chip, 8MB memory and zip 3D acceleration (or very little, it was awful!)...

That's why I thought I could do with a MX440 rather than a TI4200 card, as I don't game that much and wasn't used to great graphics...

Where would you start finding out about this problem?

ChrisRay
08-03-03, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SmilingBoy
Afraid I have no spare cards lying around...

My (6-year-)old computer has a card with a SiS6126 chip, 8MB memory and zip 3D acceleration (or very little, it was awful!)...

That's why I thought I could do with a MX440 rather than a TI4200 card, as I don't game that much and wasn't used to great graphics...

Where would you start finding out about this problem?

Do you have any games with "software" renderers ect? I would check that first. if It's Still freezing. It might not be the card.

I'd also check to see what AGP speed you have. Try turning it down a notch. If your Cas Latency is too high for your memory. You can turn it down.

My Radeon 9500 Pro is very sensitive to Cas Latency.

SmilingBoy
08-03-03, 05:07 PM
OK, I'll check. I believe I have got 8x AGP. I'll try and notch it down to 4x (if I can in the BIOS). I am running my memory within specifications., ie PC2700@333Mhz and CAS 2.5.
I'll get back to you soon - one reboot, change values, check in Windows - freeze, reboot... (OK, I'm being pessimistic here)

SmilingBoy
08-03-03, 05:25 PM
Hm. I had no option in my BIOS to change AGP from 8x to 4x. Would this be possible by software?

I decreased the AGP Aperture size from 64M to 32M.

There are also the options:
Fast Write
Read Synchronization
Enhance AGP Performance
AGP Master 1 WS Write
AGP Master 1 WS Read
DBI Output for AGP Trans.

All of these are disabled.

No clue what they are about though...

I changed CAS latency from 2.5 to 3.

But: Same problem, freezes immediately when opening Direct3D application.

I don't have any games lyinag around, are there any where you can disable hardware acceleration before starting the game?

If there is a good game, I might get it anyway (I like space flight sims la X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter - any suggestions for something newer in this genre?).

Thanks!

khafan
08-04-03, 03:13 AM
For changing AGP speed, get "nVHard page" from here,
http://download.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/

Then run "NVHardPage.exe" and click on "activate AGP option" or "activate hardware option", then go to nvidia control panel (display properties => advanced => GF4 MX440), now you see AGP setting tab or hardware option tab, from there you can change AGP speed.

SmilingBoy
08-04-03, 04:19 AM
Thanks for this tip.

I tried it, set AGP to 4x and no difference, still freezes at the moment a 3D program is started...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ChrisRay
08-04-03, 04:53 PM
Tried uninstalling your systems AGP drivers? Running it in PCI mode?

SmilingBoy
08-04-03, 06:04 PM
I'll try by disabling AGP in the settings.

I'll let you know in a minute...

SmilingBoy
08-04-03, 06:37 PM
Yes!! It works now!

(At least the demo version of HitBall seems to work.)

I guess this points to a problem, something with AGP...

I guess my performance suffers with AGP disabled?

What next to get it to work witg AGP?

ChrisRay
08-04-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SmilingBoy
Yes!! It works now!

(At least the demo version of HitBall seems to work.)

I guess this points to a problem, something with AGP...

I guess my performance suffers with AGP disabled?

What next to get it to work witg AGP?

Try different variants of AGP drivers for your board. Try different cards in AGP mode.

AGP issues can be so many number of things. Generally.. I always disable AGP if my system is performing strangely.

So the first thing I'd do is try new drivers, Ect. for your motherboard, older drivers ect.

If that doesnt work. I'd try your GPU in a different PC. See if its the GPU itself having trouble with AGP acceleration ect.