PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Vibrant finally getting Froyo 1/21/11

Pages : [1] 2

betterdan
01-20-11, 07:59 PM
http://www.samsungvibrantforum.com/samsung-vibrant-updates/samsung-vibrant-froyo-upgrade-coming-jan-21/new/#new

DiscipleDOC
01-20-11, 08:35 PM
Custom ROMs > stock ROMs.

/Thread

betterdan
01-20-11, 08:49 PM
/Thread reopened

I hope this enables wi fi calling like they elude to in that article. I have a rough time getting a signal in this house and within a block of it outside too. Would be nice to be able to use wifi for calls.

Are you able to make wifi calls on your Captivate with the custom Froyo roms DD?

DiscipleDOC
01-20-11, 08:57 PM
/Thread reopened

I hope this enables wi fi calling like they elude to in that article. I have a rough time getting a signal in this house and within a block of it outside too. Would be nice to be able to use wifi for calls.

Are you able to make wifi calls on your Captivate with the custom Froyo roms DD?

No. :cry:

betterdan
01-20-11, 09:00 PM
Hmm well it seems Tmobile Samsung Vibrant update rom > Captivate custom roms

/Thread

:D

betterdan
01-21-11, 12:54 PM
Word is that you need to do the update through kiesmini. Will try it when I get home.
Others are reporting on Tmobile forums that the gps locks a little better and the wifi calling works.

betterdan
01-21-11, 09:26 PM
Got it installed via minikies and it's nice. Wifi calling is wonderful for me since its hard to get a cell signal in the house. Haven't fully tested the gps yet but the compass works a lot better. Flash works and the speed of the phone has increased.
They now have a little tab slider that appears when clicking on text so it makes it easier to select text (I hated trying to select text before). You can also share your internet connection and tethering is an option.
The only negatives I've found are that the Avatar movie that was on the phone as a bonus now doesn't work. It says it is locked and asks you if you want to unlock it but after selecting yes, nothing happens. Someone on the Tmobile site said to do a reboot but it didn't help. Many are complaining of the same problem on the forums.
Also the option to leave the phone display on all the time during charging is gone. Not sure if this was a Froyo thing or just Tmobile but that blows. I liked the disdplay to be on all the time while it was hooked to the charger.
Finally the Samsung desk home and car home don't work right anymore. Desk home gets an error on start up and car homelets the screen turn off then when you turn it back on the program is closed. I also tried opening

All in all though a great update.

betterdan
01-21-11, 10:12 PM
From the Samsung support page:

Other Questions

•After I installed the update, I can no longer access the Avatar movie as I receive "File Locked" message. What can I do?
•The license will need to be reacquired. You may need to backup information as a reset will erase all device data. A full reset will need to be performed by dialing *2767*3855#. The device will restart afterwards. After a few minutes has passed, you should be able to play back the movie.
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=560&AT_ID=341559

That sucks ass. So you have to fully reset your phone to get avatar playable again.

betterdan
01-21-11, 10:32 PM
Car Home and screen going off when plugged in have been solved by downloading an app called widgetsoid2.x which allows you to make the screen stay on all the time while under power other than the battery. :thumbsup:

betterdan
01-22-11, 01:05 AM
Fully reset phone and Avatar is working again.

betterdan
01-22-11, 09:02 AM
Email notification sounds not working now with this update.

betterdan
01-22-11, 05:38 PM
Found another problem but after messing with it I finally figured out the solution.
Me and some others on Tmobiles forum were having problems sending pic messagges. We would get a server error message. After messing with it I found it doesn't like you to have any parenthesis or dashes in your phone numbers. Before the update I had dashes in my contacts phone numbers. After deleting the dashes it's working fine with pic messages again.

Only problem now is the Android email program won't play notification sounds but on the Tmobile forum it is said this is probably a problem with the build.
Also others are stating Samsung Desk Home isn't working at all and they have bought the docks that were meant to be used with the Home dock app so I bet they are pissed. :lol:

Albo
01-22-11, 05:59 PM
8 posts in a row. DDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Anyways, how is the phone with the new update?

betterdan
01-22-11, 06:44 PM
I tried out the GPS today and I hate to say it because it will probably jinx me but it is working pretty nice. The icon stayed on the road, it update quicker while travelling down the road and at stop lights it didn't start turning the icon facing North, South East and West like it used to. Now it stayed straight ahead.

The rest is nice too especially the wifi calling. It of course uses your call plan minutes but at least now I have phone service in the house with this.
The media gallery is a lot faster too and now i don't have to reboot the phone after taking a video just so I can find it in the gallery.

My wife got an Ipad tonight so I am curious about trying the phone out as an internet access point so the ipad can use the phone's 3g for internet access while on the road on a trip for instance.

snowmanwithahat
01-22-11, 07:52 PM
Damn dan... that's the impression I've gotten from the EPIC beta releases.... decent updates but buggy as hell and not quite finished

betterdan
01-22-11, 08:01 PM
Well i still like this update a lot better than the 2.1 that was on it before. The GPS seems a lot better for the main thing.

Oh also for the Avatar movie not playing problem, someone said to clear the DRM cache in application management then reboot the phone and that should clear up the problem.

I had a problem earlier where I could only send pic messages by going into a messaging thread already created then attaching a pic and replying to someone. If I tried to start a new message thread and attach a pic I would get a server error upon hitting send. If I went into contacts, clicked someone then message and attach pic I would get the server error message also.
I finally figured out that I had to delete all the non numerical characters from the person's numbers in contacts. It worked fine with dashes in there before but now this update doesn't like dashes being in the contacts numbers. Not a big problem since I only have about 15 contacts but for someone with lots of contacts that would suck to have to go edit all of them.

betterdan
01-22-11, 08:17 PM
Just tried out the Mobile Access Point setting that is available now with this update. Turned it on then checked my wife's ipad and it recognized a new network. Connected to it then I was sharing my phone's 3G internet. Lots better than having to pay extra for the Ipad with 3g and then on top of that having to pay extra to use 3g. :thumbsup:
This should come in handy when we take our trip to Oklahoma later this year. We can have internet in the car on something bigger than a small phone screen.

onmikesline
01-23-11, 09:20 AM
im all updated from friday. everything works good now

Albo
01-23-11, 09:25 AM
Just tried out the Mobile Access Point setting that is available now with this update. Turned it on then checked my wife's ipad and it recognized a new network. Connected to it then I was sharing my phone's 3G internet. Lots better than having to pay extra for the Ipad with 3g and then on top of that having to pay extra to use 3g. :thumbsup:
This should come in handy when we take our trip to Oklahoma later this year. We can have internet in the car on something bigger than a small phone screen.

Do you have to pay extra from t-mobile to be able to create wifi hot spots?

betterdan
01-23-11, 09:46 AM
Nope, unlimited data plan. You just have a 5gb limit I believe then they slow down your connection until your next billing month. I've never hit that limit as we usually always use the wifi connection at home.
It says up to 5 devices can connect to the phone at a time to share it's 3G internet speeds.

Albo
01-23-11, 10:53 AM
damn, i want t-mobile. :(

betterdan
01-23-11, 11:18 AM
Yea I like T Mobile. The only bad thing is our house is right in a dead area which reaches about a block around us. Once you get out of that spot you have full 3g. Now with my phone using wifi calling I don't have to worry about that at home. :thumbsup:

betterdan
01-23-11, 11:39 AM
Hmm I may have spoke too soon. I see here http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/services/information.aspx?PAsset=InternetEmail&osid=4745E503-3612-4E0F-9044-DE881A7F91CC&tp=Svc_Tab_HotSpot
Thst they have a $14.95 a month charge for tethering and wifi sharing. :eek2:

I wonder how they would know if I use it anyways? It won't be like it's all the time.

I chatted with a tmobile rep and he said he had no idea how they would know if I was using it without the plan. They need to at least make a popup come up telling you a plan is required when enableing tethering or something. They just added the feature to the phone and no mention of any extra costs. I'll rarely use it so I'm just going to take my chances.

snowmanwithahat
01-24-11, 08:47 AM
Dan, the way it works (on Sprint and Verizon) is that when you go to use their App (Verizon Mifi, Sprint Hotspot) it will phone home and register with your account and upgrade it automatically. If it's a 3rd party tethering app there's really no way that they can know its going on. I prefer to use Wireless Tether for Root Users (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/) since I'm rooted. It has a few limitations though like not being able to support infrastructure (wireless AP vs ad-hoc) mode. But those limitations are usually per-phone and yours might not be that way.

I recently upgraded to an unofficial 2.2 leak for my epic along with a nice gingerbread theme... I'm really digging the look and feel of this. very responsive GPS now. Not to mention it looks just like a Nexus S except now I'm rocking a keyboard :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs785.ash1/167510_10150371290555085_668960084_17354795_185046 8_n.jpg

Albo
01-24-11, 09:20 AM
My dad is buying an ATT smartphone soon.

It will be the iPhone 4, or the Captivate.

He likes to read the news. But GPS is a big must.

I've heard the captivate GPS is spotty, do you think it will not be any good? He travels by car often, to new areas, so a GPS is important.