PDA

View Full Version : Need a new soundcard,what to get ?

Pages : [1] 2

sammy sung
01-22-11, 06:00 AM
Been having issues with my xifi-extreme gamer in both xp w7,creative isn't very active on the driver update front so now i given up and need something new.Not going to use the onboard card,i want a dedicated card with solid drivers/compability and i game mostly with headphones so surround capabilities is not a priority.Been looking at the xonars but never tried them,pros/cons ?

Suggestions are more than welcome :)

Rummy
01-22-11, 07:13 AM
I have an Auzentek X-Fi Forte that Nekro recommended and I had an ExtremeMusic card before this one. I never have cracking or popping in anything and it works great. Much better than my Creative card.

K007
01-22-11, 07:59 AM
I am getting a ASUS Essence STX...this card is mainly for stereo/headphone users...it seems to be very very good card....might want to read up on some reviews/etc..i should have my parts this week, plan to build it on the weekend...

The D2X is a 7.1, which seems to be more for those surround speaker people...the STX seems more for audio/headphone/stereo people...

Vardant
01-22-11, 09:03 AM
Been having issues with my xifi-extreme gamer in both xp w7,creative isn't very active on the driver update front so now i given up and need something new.Not going to use the onboard card,i want a dedicated card with solid drivers/compability and i game mostly with headphones so surround capabilities is not a priority.Been looking at the xonars but never tried them,pros/cons ?

Suggestions are more than welcome :)

Did you try using the hacked Auzentech drivers on your X-Fi?

Maverick123w
01-22-11, 10:30 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032

I use one of these and it's been flawless. No issues with Windows 7. Was a huge step up from my boards onboard audio for my stereo speaker/headphones

Revs
01-22-11, 10:43 AM
My Xonar has been top notch. Highly recommend em :)

Sazar
01-22-11, 11:12 AM
Another vote for Xonar's :)

I purchased the Xonar DX. It matches up in fidelity with it's more expensive brother's, but it's flawless overall. You will likely have to mess around in the control panel a little to get the perfect balance, but that's what it's all about :D

mcolbourn
01-22-11, 11:41 AM
I would say the cheap but still a really good card (I have one in my PC and so does my wife) Xonar DG is great for headphones,

Techreport did a great review of it here http://techreport.com/articles.x/19997

sammy sung
01-22-11, 01:37 PM
Did you try using the hacked Auzentech drivers on your X-Fi?

No ,i didn't even know they existed :)

Thanks guys,xonar it is :) Ordering it as soon as i can decide with model to get.

Roadhog
01-22-11, 01:52 PM
Xonar STX all the way.

sammy sung
01-22-11, 02:15 PM
Xonar STX all the way.

Idd,just placed the order :

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=420234

Thanks for the help folks :)

Revs
01-22-11, 03:18 PM
A wise choice indeed

XDanger
01-22-11, 05:29 PM
what op-amp does it use for the headphones?

Sazar
01-22-11, 05:30 PM
Yay, welcome to the family :wonder:

*sniff*

Roadhog
01-22-11, 05:36 PM
what op-amp does it use for the headphones?

Whatever one you want it to... They are changeable.

XDanger
01-22-11, 05:43 PM
Yes but what does it use when you buy it?

I think if you want the best sound you just need to buy the cheapest card with pluggable opamps and upgrade it,
But if the one in the STX is fine then no need.

sammy sung
01-22-11, 05:58 PM
Question: One test said that the card handled games fine but if you were a gamer you wouldn't have much interest in this card anyway, is there any thruth to that? I use a headset while gaming and spend a lot of time on teamsspeak etc so it's essential that it can and will handle a microphone without issues.Will that be a problem here?

Performance with games is not what I would call a primary concern of the Essence. However, it does support gaming through the latest Directsound 3D algorithms, which is better than having no support for gamers. But if you're a gamer first and foremost then I would not imagine you would have too much interest in the Essence anyway.

Roadhog
01-22-11, 05:59 PM
NJM2114D
LM4562NA

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-xonar-essence-stx-review/1

Roadhog
01-22-11, 06:00 PM
Question: One test said that the card handled games fine but if you were a gamer you wouldn't have much interest in this card anyway, is there any thruth to that? I use a headset while gaming and spend a lot of time on teamsspeak etc so it's essential that it can and will handle a microphone without issues.Will that be a problem here?

Sure it doesn't support EAX9001, but it works perfectly here for everything i've thrown at it.

sammy sung
01-22-11, 06:10 PM
NJM2114D
LM4562NA

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-xonar-essence-stx-review/1

Dude, seriously that is NOT swedish, hate to burst your bubble :p

Roadhog
01-22-11, 06:17 PM
wtf is sweden. :p

sammy sung
01-22-11, 06:20 PM
Reading a lot of conflicting reports here, getting the impression i bought the wrong model tbh. I play more games than i listen to music on my pc and the lack of eax support worries me, i kinda figured all xonar models had that support.

EDIT : Cancelled the STX and got the Asus XONAR D2X/XDT 7.1 PCIe instead.

K007
01-22-11, 07:49 PM
Reading a lot of conflicting reports here, getting the impression i bought the wrong model tbh. I play more games than i listen to music on my pc and the lack of eax support worries me, i kinda figured all xonar models had that support.

one thing i didn't like about the d2x was the dam floppy connector for power lol...all the reviews i read say the dam pins can bend very easily..

Muppet
01-22-11, 09:17 PM

This is what i'm interested in too. I play games on my PC, not listen to music on it. i have a dedicated AMP for that. The gaming sound is the most important thing as well as mic support for Team Chat.

It is the reason I don't know which card to get.

Roadhog
01-22-11, 09:18 PM
i game on mine, never heard a problem.