PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' 'bout it...

Redeemed
01-24-11, 04:27 PM
Okay, so I'm kinda' biased against PC speakers. Up until september of 09 I rocked a 5.1CH a/v reciever and some beasty speakers/sub setup for my rig. Games shook the frikken neighborhood, as did movies. The sound was absolutely incredible. Movies, music, games- just astonishing. And that was with a rather low-end RCA and then later Yamaha receiver. However, that's by far and large my preffered audio setup for my rig.

However, since I'm now living in a trailer out in the sticks... I need to rethink my audio setup- at least for now. Right now I'm rocking a 2.0 Altec Lansing setup. They were free- so I can't complain. They do the job for what they are. But I miss the immersion of 5.1, I miss having a proper sub hitting- I'm missing so many lows in my movies, music, and games- the atmoshpere for games and movies just ain't there like it used to be with my 5.1 setup.

I cannot go 5.1 with a proper speaker setup- don't have the room and for the money I'd spend... I need to put that cash towards more important things.

Likely, I'll be in this trailer for another year or so- maybe a bit longer. Saving up to buy my own land and throw my dream home on it. :)

So I need a temporary 5.1 setup, and I've been eying the z-5500's from Logitech. A couple years ago I picked up the z-100s or whatever- a 2.1 setup, for a friend as a gift. That setup hits hard, games sound great- as do movies. However, I want 5.1. I've I'm buying speakers I'm going surround.

I like how the z-5500s support Dolby and DTS digital, but I'm curious- can I just run my optical to the "receiver" in the 5500s and get Dolby/DTS in games, movies, music? My mobo has the ability to encode the audio in a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. It worked perfectly with my RCA and Yamaha receiver back when I had that setup- games in 5.1, music in 5.1, and obviously movies. Will it work the same with the z5500s?

I'm probably a month away from making my decision. It's kinda' a "gift" to myself since I'm literally almost debt free, gonna' wait till the last of my debt is paid down to a miniscule amount before I buy anything and that's only about a month or two away. I'll probably pick up whatever speakers I get sometime next month. Looking forward to having some proper sound once again. :)

I've heard such awesome things about the 5500s. I know they cannot replace a proper av reciever with a great compliment of speakers- but for a temporary setup to last me likely not much more than 3 years- ya'll recommend them? I can get them at a discount at work, not sure how much that'll save me but I'm gonna' look into it my next shift.

So- recommend them? Especially if I can get them for lower than retail? Will the optical in work just like it did on my av recievers? And, lastly, any other surround setups ya'll would suggest?

Thanks mah brotha's from otha' mutha's. :cool:

Roadhog
01-24-11, 04:33 PM
5500's are ****, the sub destroys the amp attached to it.

Redeemed
01-25-11, 01:35 AM

This the only input? I thought there were quite a few members here whom had this setup. Was hopin' for feedback from ya'll. :)

LT.Schaffer
01-25-11, 01:34 PM
They are Awesome Speakers...

I Watched Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray through them cranked and they Sound Superb:D

Well worth it i think:thumbsup:

Revs
01-25-11, 01:47 PM
Are headphones off the list? I'd be thinking along the lines of surround sound headphones myself. Not sure if there are any decent ones. I've never really looked in to it.

I'm assuming you have neighbours, Red. Do you?

Redeemed
01-25-11, 02:02 PM
They are Awesome Speakers...

I Watched Black Hawk Down on Blu-ray through them cranked and they Sound Superb:D

Well worth it i think:thumbsup:

Well, I likely wont be cranking it often, if at all. Mostly want the immersion of 5.1 and solid lows that you only get with a sub. But occassionaly, I could see my self cranking up some Chris LeDoux. :D

So I'm taking it you still have your z-5500s? How long have you owned them?

Are headphones off the list? I'd be thinking along the lines of surround sound headphones myself. Not sure if there are any decent ones. I've never really looked in to it.

I'm assuming you have neighbours, Red. Do you?

Lets see- to my right I've got some Ponderosa Pines, of to my left I've got me a family of Oaks... yup- thems my neighbors. :lol:

No- I do have neighbors but each lot is half to one whole acre, and this "neighborhood" is literally in the middle of the forest. Ain't nobody gonna' mind a local Chris LeDoux concert round here. :lol: :)

As to headphones- gotta' pair. Hate wearing them all the time. I mostly play SP so the 5.1 will definitely restore so atmosphere. Headphones are great for competitive online play, but I seldom do that and they're just bulky and uncomfortable for everyday use. Prefer having a nice speaker setup and just Get In The Game. :D

Thanks for the feedback ya'll- Please keep it coming. :)

Maverick123w
01-25-11, 04:44 PM
since getting a decent headset I've barely used my speakers.

LT.Schaffer
01-25-11, 05:03 PM
Well, I likely wont be cranking it often, if at all. Mostly want the immersion of 5.1 and solid lows that you only get with a sub. But occassionaly, I could see my self cranking up some Chris LeDoux. :D

So I'm taking it you still have your z-5500s? How long have you owned them?

I've Had mine since Feb 2008.

Also if you do consider Headphones get the New Corsair HS1 set:)

They are The Best Headphones i've ever used.. :D

Super Comfortable+Surround Sound+50mm drivers+Awesome Mic.etc

And i own the Sennheiser HD555s and a set of Razer Carcharias,
And the Corsair HS1 Beats them Both Hands Down in my book:thumbsup:

nekrosoft13
01-25-11, 05:23 PM

This the only input? I thought there were quite a few members here whom had this setup. Was hopin' for feedback from ya'll. :)

I have mine for over 6 years, the first revision of the speakers. the only bad thing I can say about them that the cable (looks like serial cable) that connects to the sub from the "control panel" is very poor quality. It has to at perfect angle, if it moves slightly I will start hearing static.

Other then that speakers are awesome, maybe they fixed this issue in rev 2.

Roadhog
01-25-11, 06:07 PM
i went through two sets within a month.

Electronics mounted to the sub = retarded.

hokeyplyr48
01-26-11, 12:13 PM
I have a pair and love them. Great speakers IMO.

mullet
01-26-11, 12:32 PM
I think they sound great for the PC for the money.

Redeemed
01-26-11, 11:19 PM
I have a pair and love them. Great speakers IMO.

I think they sound great for the PC for the money.

How long have you guys had yours?

The feedback in newegg seems to be very positive as well. I know, that isn't much of a determining factor but it is something to be considered. :)