PDA

View Full Version : Treyarch dev says “negative” gamers the biggest problem facing the games industry

Pages : [1] 2

K007
02-06-11, 07:12 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/02/treyarch-dev-says-negative-gamers-the-biggest-problem-facing-the-games-industry/

Community Manager Josh Olin made the comments in an interview with NowGamer. When asked what the biggest problem facing the games industry today was, he said “as a community manager who lives in the media or social media world every day, I think the social culture of video games is moving in a more negative direction as technology and social media continues to grow. Rather than growing with it, the trend seems to be devolving.”

I am sorry...but how much beta testing / any testing did you do with the PC Version? It was a failed port from Day1.

Destroy
02-06-11, 08:57 AM
Perhaps they should socially listen to what gamers want instead of keeping their money blinders on.

Sean_W
02-06-11, 09:01 AM
The biggest problem facing the games industry is lack of Innovation, where developers just pump out sequels. Just look at this year's line-up of games.

I think there is a lot more innovation from smaller developers that do Indie games and gamers are very positive about them.

Burnt_Ram
02-06-11, 10:32 AM
i can't believe he said that! talk about having blinders on! i used to have the utmost respect for Treyarch, not anymore. Activision has corrupted them with their greedyness ...

Madpistol
02-06-11, 10:47 AM
We want games that are of high quality and that are fun to play! Is that hard to ask? Innovation drives this market, and when innovation ceases, the market comes to a screeching halt... or in the case of the CoD: BO, Activision makes a lot of money. :p

It's not the users that are at fault here. It's the ferkin developers and their lack of insight into the industry. Check out steam for a little while. If you make a good game, we notice, and we buy it. If you make a crappy game, we're not going to buy it. Gamers talk with their money. We spend tons of cash beefing up our PC's every few years, and developers expect us to blow it on half-assed sequels that have no storyline and where the mechanics of the game are terrible! Seriously? I think we can see past the crap.

Sorry, but if this is where the industry is going, I might just jump ship. It's pointless to spend all of this money on hardware if we're going to have ungrateful developers that are going to blame THEIR PROBLEMS ON US!!!!

/rant

If you want innovation, go check out minecraft. The guy that is in possession of that game is a millionaire. That didn't happen by accident. The game is different, and people like it. Treyarch should take a few notes. Try and innovate for once instead of figuring out how many different ranks you can fit into one game.

|MaguS|
02-06-11, 11:45 AM
We want games that are of high quality and that are fun to play! Is that hard to ask? Innovation drives this market, and when innovation ceases, the market comes to a screeching halt... or in the case of the CoD: BO, Activision makes a lot of money. :p

It's not the users that are at fault here. It's the ferkin developers and their lack of insight into the industry. Check out steam for a little while. If you make a good game, we notice, and we buy it. If you make a crappy game, we're not going to buy it. Gamers talk with their money. We spend tons of cash beefing up our PC's every few years, and developers expect us to blow it on half-assed sequels that have no storyline and where the mechanics of the game are terrible! Seriously? I think we can see past the crap.

Sorry, but if this is where the industry is going, I might just jump ship. It's pointless to spend all of this money on hardware if we're going to have ungrateful developers that are going to blame THEIR PROBLEMS ON US!!!!

/rant

If you want innovation, go check out minecraft. The guy that is in possession of that game is a millionaire. That didn't happen by accident. The game is different, and people like it. Treyarch should take a few notes. Try and innovate for once instead of figuring out how many different ranks you can fit into one game.

Sales say the opposite, when an innovative game releases and gets praised by all the critics it fails to achieve any good support from the market. Yet look at the games that break sales records... they are sequels or games that just follow the industry standard.

If you want new IPs and innovation then go out and buy the games. Even if you think that the PC platform got the short end of the stick. By ignoring the game totally you are going to make developers walk away more often. Buy those indie games, buy those new IPs that are fun but maybe not 100% innovative. Don't just ignore a game because maybe the publisher supports another platform then the one of your choice.

In the end gamers are hypocrites... they shout one thing and turn around and do the opposite.

Madpistol
02-06-11, 12:00 PM
Sales say the opposite, when an innovative game releases and gets praised by all the critics it fails to achieve any good support from the market. Yet look at the games that break sales records... they are sequels or games that just follow the industry standard.

If you want new IPs and innovation then go out and buy the games. Even if you think that the PC platform got the short end of the stick. By ignoring the game totally you are going to make developers walk away more often. Buy those indie games, buy those new IPs that are fun but maybe not 100% innovative. Don't just ignore a game because maybe the publisher supports another platform then the one of your choice.

In the end gamers are hypocrites... they shout one thing and turn around and do the opposite.

I buy games that appeal to me. When the price is right, I'll buy any decent game on the market. The last FPS that I bought was Bad Company 2, and I bought it 1 month before release date because I knew it was going to be amazing due to the Beta. Guess what? I was right!

I bought a ton of games during Steam's holiday sales. Why? Because the price was right, the reviews were wonderful, and I had the money to spend. I bought Minecraft after I test-drove it on my Fiance's account. Why? Because it offered an addicting platform for creation and innovation. I didn't buy Call of Duty: Black Ops. Why? Because it is a half-assed, overpriced piece of garbage on the PC. Ever think about why the Wii has been such a success on sales? It's because it was innovative during a time where the game industry was populated by violent, disgusting garbage that was getting stale. I'm not saying the Wii is as a good a platform as other systems, but it definitely broke the sales records of the PS3 and RRoD Box. You couldn't find those things in stock at retail chains for a year or 2. For a system that's 1/3 as powerful as its competitors, that's pretty epic.

Am I the hypocrite? I COULDN'T (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2389259&postcount=37) care less about those Call of Duty boys that will buy anything that includes a gun, a few ranks, and some ****ed up multiplayer system populated by whiny 12-year-olds. That's not me. I purchase games that are going to entertain ME, because at the end of the day, if we're not having fun, what's the point? Not everybody thinks the same way as me, but then again, most gamers are console boys between the ages of 10 and 20. To them, CoD:BO is the better than sex. It's people like THAT that's driving the industry down... not us.

ViN86
02-06-11, 02:18 PM
Right, "negative" gamers are the just the result of the trend of the industry... :rolleyes:

This was my gaming experience at launch with Black Ops...

VLDeyjtfl0U

The truth is, companies are trying to make more money at lower costs. So instead of high quality products, we get products they **** out of dev kits and port to PC's. The quality of PC games has gone down so dramatically over the past 10 years. It's no wonder many PC gamers are more negative. The quality of their products is dropping while prices are going up. The only exception seems to be Valve imo.

Madpistol
02-06-11, 05:50 PM
I agree. I've noticed that Valve takes care of its customers and its community. Same with Blizzard. Activision and EA are the problems in the gamescape today. They continue to release yearly iterations of their popular franchises that people continue to mindlessly buy because they don't know any better. They think that the new product will be better than the last. Then it turns out that it's not... it's just more of the same. That's ok though! EA and Activision are promising that their next game will be "different" and "better" and more "action packed" than the last. I wonder how long it will be until everyone else catches on what they're doing...

The Call of Duty Franchise ended with Modern Warfare and World at War. MW2 and BO are jokes of the lowest caliber, and the fact that they're being sold @ $60 a piece is even more shameful. It really shows what this industry is like... and now one of Treyarch's community managers has opened his mouth about how ungrateful we are. It's ok. I talk with my wallet, and as long as I have a hold on mine, they won't be getting a dime from me until they change that outlook of theirs. It is positively disgusting. A company is there to make money, and you make money by satisfying your customers. I have money, and I refuse to spend it on crap.

grey_1
02-06-11, 06:19 PM
So they churn out yet another refresh of a beat to heck title that a lot of folks apparently have quite a few issues with and the community is wrong for having a negative attitude? :lol:

Priceless, is this guy a politician?

Bearclaw
02-06-11, 06:29 PM
Ugh.

I buy a game when it's GOOD and not a run of the mill crap.

Put forth some effort, pc.

bob saget
02-06-11, 06:34 PM
SO you called me "negative"? Nice. Gonna go dl some black ops....

grey_1
02-06-11, 06:52 PM
SO you called me "negative"? Nice. Gonna go dl some black ops....

Nah...I called YOU something else entirely.

:p

Destroy
02-06-11, 07:07 PM
Who ya gonna call?
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1485/ghostbustersmovieimage0.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/ghostbustersmovieimage0.jpg/)

Tygerwoody
02-06-11, 09:38 PM
What are these "negative" gamers you speak of?

nekrosoft13
02-06-11, 09:58 PM
what i find funny is that people compain about sequels, yet half of the people in this threat keep buying Call of Duty over and over again.

shame on you

bob saget
02-06-11, 10:14 PM
what i find funny is that people compain about sequels, yet half of the people in this threat keep buying Call of Duty over and over again.

shame on you

i havent bought a cod since cod4. high five?

Madpistol
02-06-11, 11:59 PM

same here. high five. :afro:

ViN86
02-07-11, 12:11 AM

shame on you

I actually enjoy Black Ops now. At launch, it was a buggy piece of ****. I mean, it looks like they literally put no effort whatsoever into testing the game before launch. I mean look at the video I posted. Practically everyone with a dual core CPU (over 50% of gamers I would say) had that same experience, and they did nothing.

MW2 really wasn't that bad. The only bad part about it was no dedicated servers and the fact that there are 1000 killstreak types. So the game became a laggy mess of ****. Black Ops is a lot more like COD4.

mailman2
02-07-11, 12:16 AM
more proof devs are outta touch.

They want to release garbage be praised for it and sell 10 million copies. Negative gamers are probably the honest ones.

COD BO was one of the worst ports that came to the PC. Its fine now, but it needed some more work. Can't blame the gamers for your own incompetence.

WeReWoLf
02-07-11, 01:52 AM
It still needs more work. I haven't really played a decent game of Black Ops since december. I'm done with the COD series, that's for sure. I'm just hoping that Crysis 2 looks and plays as good as the media Crytek have released.

Ywap
02-07-11, 03:18 AM

I have never ever bought a Call of duty game and i never ever will. Double high fives and a mid-air spin (nana2)

The Modern Warefare demo gave a bad taste in the mouth. I´m only interested in single player and for that purpose Call of duty is a joke.

Peoples-Agent
02-07-11, 07:53 AM
Black Ops was my last one, drawn the line now. I kinda liked MW2 albeit not asgood as COD4 but Black Ops is just absolute trash.

Burnt_Ram
02-07-11, 10:06 AM
what wrong with Black Ops? its just as good as Modern Warfare 1 now that its fixed ... :headexplode:

and as far as Modern Warfare 2 goes get the dedicated server patch and enjoy the game. its the best in the series with servers and a proper browser.

Sean_W
02-07-11, 10:57 AM
what wrong with Black Ops? its just as good as Modern Warfare 1 now that its fixed ... :headexplode:

The point is, it shouldn't have been released that way, so that's why PC gamers are "negative" because the game was shipped with silly bugs which kill the experience.