PDA

View Full Version : Darkness II coming to PC

Pages : [1] 2

Ywap
02-08-11, 10:32 AM
Awesome news as i really liked Dark Sector for PC (nana2)

"2K Games Calls for Return of Chaos and Destruction with The Darkness™ II
Quad-Wielding combat, ruthless story and hand-painted graphic noir art style breathe new life into first-person shooter genre this fall

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that The Darkness™ II, the sequel to the million unit-selling 2007 title, The Darkness™, will be coming to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in fall 2011. Developed by Digital Extremes and based on the supernatural horror comic book series created by Top Cow Productions, Inc., The Darkness II takes players down a brutal and personal path as Jackie Estacado, wielder of The Darkness – an ancient and ruthless force of chaos and destruction.

The Darkness II breaks out of the sea of conventional first-person shooters with its fervid Quad-Wielding gameplay, which will allow players to slash, grab, and throw objects and enemies with their Demon Arms while simultaneously firing two weapons. The game is layered with the use of dark versus light, steeped in deep and twisted storytelling, and engulfed in stylistic violence that is visualized through a hand-painted graphic noir technique that stays true to its comic book origins.

“The Darkness II is a well of dark and imaginative violence, and it’s a stylized and beautiful nightmare,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “The Darkness II continues the 2K Games tradition of delivering quality, innovative games that are filled to the brim with atmosphere and deep storytelling. The game takes a unique stance on fighting in the dark versus light. Combined with the arsenal of weapons at Jackie’s disposal and the gruesome attacks of the supernatural Demon Arms and Darkness powers, we’re proud to announce another title that delivers on our core values of creating games for gamers.”

The Darkness II will feature award-winning comic book writer, Paul Jenkins, who will provide a tightly integrated narrative that weaves dark humor with hardcore tenderness.

Take a step back from the familiar and comfortable, and prepare to embrace The Darkness.

It’s been two years since Jackie Estacado, now the Don of the Franchetti crime family, used The Darkness to kill the men responsible for his girlfriend’s murder. He’s been unable to shake the memory of Jenny’s death since bottling up his supernatural power, and now The Darkness wants out. A sudden, unprovoked attack on Jackie’s life heralds the start of a full-scale mob war, which has clearly been orchestrated by some outside force. The botched attempt opens the door for The Darkness to reemerge, and sets Jackie on a journey to hell and worse, as he unravels the mystery behind the attack and the motivations of The Darkness itself.

“Sometimes that whooshing sound you hear is that of comic fans holding their collective breath,” said Marc Silvestri, founder and CEO of Top Cow Productions and co-creator of The Darkness comics. “So often disappointed when a favorite character gives birth to a lame movie or video game, us fans have come to expect the worst. And sometimes we get it. But not with The Darkness II. Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado’s epic saga is – in my humble opinion – one of the most brutally cool games I’ve ever played. 2K Games hammered this one out of the park.”

The Darkness II is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on The Darkness II, please visit www.embracethedarkness.com.

2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO)."

http://i52.tinypic.com/j7f47t.jpg

grey_1
02-08-11, 10:35 AM
I never played Dark Sector - but this all sounds very interesting....one to keep an eye on. :)

Vardant
02-08-11, 11:04 AM
Dark Sector and Darkness are two completely different games :)

Ywap
02-08-11, 11:08 AM

The developer behind Darkness II are the same guys who made Dark Sector. That´s why i mentioned it :)

Vardant
02-08-11, 11:28 AM
I couldn't figure out the connection and googling the developer didn't even cross my mind. Now it makes sense.

|MaguS|
02-08-11, 12:46 PM
Ugh, Dark Sector was budget at best... and it was broken on the PC. A good franchise ruined by a ****ty developer.

grey_1
02-08-11, 12:49 PM

oh duh...that's what I get for skimming the article :lol: I thought this was the sequel...either way sounds like it could be fun.

Ywap
02-08-11, 01:43 PM
Ugh, Dark Sector was budget at best... and it was broken on the PC. A good franchise ruined by a ****ty developer.

I had no problem with the game but there was some problems with the aspect ratio right? If so, i did not notice but i´m on a crt monitor.

As for the game itself i used a 360 pad and had lots of fun playing it.

Q
02-08-11, 01:56 PM
I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE.

Am I thinking of the right crappy thing?

HiCZoK4
02-08-11, 02:15 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! Darkness 1 is one of my favourite games and best on 360 sure ! Most atmospheric fps ever created. With incredible mood, voice overs and bloody good gameplay. Damn... Its the only game where gun triggers move just as analog 1:1 as triggers on controller !!!

CANT WAIT! Almost better news than those about DNF release :lol:

HiCZoK4
02-08-11, 02:18 PM
wait...... "Developed by Digital Extremes" ... No other studio can make anything as good as Starbreeze. They have prooven their specific mood and gameplay in Enclave, Chronicles of Riddick and Darkness.

Hype gone... almost. Digital Extremes arent that bad in fact :lol: but will see. Anyway. Stupid idea by 2k not placing starbreeze in the works of this

Snake101st
02-08-11, 02:23 PM
wait...... "Developed by Digital Extremes" ... No other studio can make anything as good as Starbreeze. They have prooven their specific mood and gameplay in Enclave, Chronicles of Riddick and Darkness.

Hype gone... almost. Digital Extremes arent that bad in fact :lol: but will see. Anyway. Stupid idea by 2k not placing starbreeze in the works of this

Yeah I dont get it... they did a great job on the original, why wouldnt they be allowed to work on this as well? :headexplode:

Peoples-Agent
02-09-11, 12:18 AM
Yeah I dont get it... they did a great job on the original, why wouldnt they be allowed to work on this as well? :headexplode:

Probably because of their fees, want too much money.

This will be a huge let down without Starbreeze onboard though.

Vardant
02-09-11, 12:47 AM
I had no problem with the game but there was some problems with the aspect ratio right? If so, i did not notice but i´m on a crt monitor.

Aspect ratio was not working correctly for 16:10/16:9 resolutions. But the game was ported to PC by another company, so it wasn't their fault.

nutcrackr
02-09-11, 02:17 AM
I remember playing the Darkness demo on PS3 and thinking that the resolution was at something like 320x240. Damn it looked so ugly with aliasing everywhere.

Dark Sector was ok.

Viral
02-09-11, 04:03 AM
Darkness was a pretty good game. I hope they do a good job of porting this sequel to PC.

I wonder if Mike Patton will still be doing the voice, he was pretty damn good.

MaXThReAT
02-09-11, 04:31 AM
The developer behind Darkness II are the same guys who made Dark Sector. That´s why i mentioned it :)

I really liked Dark Sector too and had no problems with it. Any game that lets me throw the blade almost strait out of Krull in slow motion to take out three plus bad guys is tops in my book.

JohnDio
02-09-11, 04:51 AM
I was having crashes with Dark Sektor in Windows XP (BSOD in specific areas with the error indicating a hardware malfunction). The game however worked like a charm in Windows 7. Simply lol at that :lol: :lol:

JohnEJohn
02-09-11, 05:40 AM
I hope this is good, it was such an underrated game. One of my favourites, a pretty unique game. I think i purcharsed it for about £15 about a month after it came out!

Travelling the subways got a little tiresome sometimes though.

**Crosses Fingers**

HiCZoK4
02-09-11, 05:54 AM
Even screenshot looks bad. Seems to have somewhat a bit of cellshading.... Darknes1 had what I would call.. a go for realistic graphics. On xbox360 it runs 720p and 4xaa. Which not many 360 games do. It looks great.

I guess I am too sceptic about Darkness 2:P

JohnEJohn
02-09-11, 05:59 AM
I agree the original was very gritty in comparison.... :(

HiCZoK4
02-09-11, 07:06 AM
I guess that most people here did not played first Darkness becouse it was console only fps. But its a must. hope They will port it somehow... becouse I won't always have a 360 proboably

HiCZoK4
02-09-11, 07:14 AM
just watch this realtime ingame intro from darkness 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvM-BXaFrF0
This never gets old:P

And if they will have little side quests like that I will be sold! Just listen to what he says to the thug :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRG3Mxz5Gw
You can also listen to great voice acting especially when Jackie is talking to the old guy in second part of clip.

Damn **** **** not! I have to reply it again!!!!!

HiCZoK4
02-09-11, 07:20 AM
Sorry for all the spam but I got so excited! Story in Darkness1 was amazing and closed shut If I understand ending correctly. I wonder what they will come out in Darkness2. You still play Jackie So hmmm....

Ywap
02-09-11, 09:44 AM
I tried the 360 demo of The Darkness but i couldn´t get past the motion blur :(

Otherwise the game itself is probably great, but that´s expected coming from Starbreeze. Both Riddick games were awesome :)