PDA

View Full Version : MAC address lost

luismanson
02-09-11, 01:22 PM
Hi, for some reason my ethernet board lost its mac address, is there any chance to change it?
windows refuses to load its driver, linux generates a random mac and prints a warning...

i tested smac on windows, also removed the drivers and got no luck

i can not change it since its a laptop :(

Roadhog
02-09-11, 01:26 PM
open up cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and paste it here.

Also you can change mac addresses on anything. :p

luismanson
02-09-11, 01:27 PM
hi, device will not show there, since the driver has a problem to load on windows... i need a way to change the mac in the rom/hardware :S

in linux works but it gets a random mac :S

ViN86
02-09-11, 02:34 PM
You can't change it in hardware. You can only change it via software.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkprotocolsip/a/macaddressing_2.htm

A better way to quickly workaround this problem is to change the MAC address on the new device so that it matches the address of the original device. While an actual physical MAC address cannot be changed in hardware, the address can be emulated in software. This process is called cloning.

My school DNS requires MAC address registration, which is impossible on devices that don't have browsers (e.g. Xbox 360). I use TMAC (Technitium Mac Address Changer) in Windows to change my MAC address.

http://www.technitium.com/tmac/index.html

Roadhog
02-09-11, 03:57 PM
yeah, I should have said cloning.

Runningman
02-09-11, 04:41 PM
Hi, for some reason my ethernet board lost its mac address, is there any chance to change it?
windows refuses to load its driver, linux generates a random mac and prints a warning...

i tested smac on windows, also removed the drivers and got no luck

i can not change it since its a laptop :(

can you get out on the internet with this laptop or any network connection with it? Is it me or do I smell someone trying to bypass switch port secerity...

mullet
02-09-11, 09:28 PM
can you get out on the internet with this laptop or any network connection with it? Is it me or do I smell someone trying to bypass switch port secerity...

Bingo.

Runningman
02-10-11, 10:47 AM
Bingo.

lol, he never replied, If he cant understand the why's and hows of mac addresses then he shouldn't be playing around with this stuff....lol...