PDA

View Full Version : If you thought Valve or Crytek had good facial animation look at this!

MaXThReAT
02-10-11, 04:19 AM
Game called L.A. Noire. From Rockstar and Team Bondi. Never heard of them.
I couldn't find any other post about it.
Coming May 17th 2011.

aL9wsEFohTw&hd

obg9sUPC5bA&hd

skAkfQr3e-4&hd

Edit: OMG it's not coming to PC, I'm so pissed.

Viral
02-10-11, 04:57 AM
Saw this a few months ago and I was very amazed. Animation in general is an area in games where there is still large room for improvement, so once games like this become the norm, many "current" games are going to look a generation behind. I'm pretty excited about this game.

BTW, from what I gathered, Team Bondi are a Sydney, Australia based division of Rockstar. Bondi is a suburb in Sydney.

jlippo
02-10-11, 05:47 AM
It's a interesting tech, where you actually generate the geometry as well from the captured information.
This means that the character heads are basically a 3d videos of the subject.
So no capturing of performance and moving it to liara from Mass Effect, you would have to put makeup to the actor so she would look like liara and then act the scene.

Also it is pretty clear that the shaders on characters faces are quite simple and the texture resolution doesn't really hold up. (Understandable as this tech uses a lot of storage.)

bacon12
02-10-11, 09:11 AM
That is sick, and I agree its a shame its not coming to pc.

jolle
02-10-11, 12:08 PM
Itīs also probably pretty difficult, if not impossible, to use another face then the acctual actors, to accurately transfer the topological capture to a different mesh without affecting the face too much.
And there is a disconnect between the face and body at times, since itīs recorded separately.

But it looks much much better then having skinned joints to map mocap on.
It is probably very expensive though, which is probably why the rest of the game isnt as hot as other modern titles.

ryoohki
02-10-11, 01:20 PM
Face animation is awesome is this but all the rest is meh. Will probably look like GTA tought because it's kinda the same style but you're a cop... I friend have a 360 and will buy this so i'll get the chance to see it still :)

HiCZoK4
02-10-11, 02:29 PM
Holy crap I am sold.,
Look at this newest trailer! It have actuall gameplay. Looks like GTAiv (same engine with incredible facial) in los angeles.
Offcourese gps is the same!
Rockstar NEVER dissapoint. GtaIV, addons, Red Dead redemption and in may this. THIS will be MafiaII for me I hope

http://www.giantbomb.com/orient-yourself-to-la-noires-gameplay/17-3779/

Dirthead
02-10-11, 06:16 PM
""OMG it's not coming to PC, I'm so pissed."""

Well duh Its a rockstar game......... if it ever did go to pc it be a crappy port..............

ViN86
02-10-11, 06:28 PM
The media lab here at MIT has been doing things like this for a while, but this is the first time I have ever seen it used in a game. It looks awesome.

Tygerwoody
02-10-11, 07:40 PM
holy ****...

that's the most impressive advancement I've seen with a video game in nearly 10 years.

mullet
02-10-11, 08:48 PM
WOW, I would love to see this in HL3.

Dirthead
02-10-11, 11:48 PM
HL3 what is that?

Soetdjuret
02-11-11, 03:16 AM
That is sick, and I agree its a shame its not coming to pc.

wwwwwttttffffffff????? Noooooooooooo

Plx make a 360 emulator for teh PC anytime now!

Viral
02-11-11, 04:43 AM
wwwwwttttffffffff????? Noooooooooooo

Plx make a 360 emulator for teh PC anytime now!

Game developers already seem to have one cause that's how most ports run, like an emulation.

HiCZoK4
02-11-11, 05:07 AM
no pc?

jcrox
02-13-11, 08:54 PM
HL3 what is that?

Not really sure but I heard it's closely related to DNF.

bacon12
02-13-11, 09:11 PM
HL3 what is that?

Uninstall every game you have installed right now.

Sgt_Pitt
02-13-11, 10:36 PM
looks awesome, hopefully they license it to other companies.

jlippo
02-14-11, 03:07 AM
looks awesome, hopefully they license it to other companies.
Sadly the method is not something that everyone would use, simply because of the negative things.

IE.
Actor has to look exactly like game character.
Texture resolution is tied to the recording resolution and storage amount.
Very storage intensive.
No hand made animation.

Zenoth
02-14-11, 03:36 AM
Nice... but...

Well, I don't know, I think that with such precise details in facial animation that any bad acting will show up immediately, and could potentially destroy any forms of immersion of one or many scenes in any types of games, it already does in the movie industry since many generations for obvious reasons, but that's my point, currently in video gaming "bad acting" is pretty much only perceived when the voice actor just doesn't cut it, but with technology like that voice actors will suddenly become actors so to speak, and literally so will have to act an entire scene/game, and they will have to ensure that not only their voice but their actual "facial acting" is believable and fits any given contexts.

It's a double-edged sword, it could be a revolution (well it is as far as the technology is concerned, that's for sure) but it could also be the terror of some would-be "video games actors". I just imagined so sort of an Oscar category for the "Best Video Game Acting" come up in my mind for the near future: ŦAnd the nominees for Best Supporting Role in a Video Game are...ŧ ...far-fetched? I don't think so, we'll get there guys.