PDA

View Full Version : amd may change cpu names for upcoming processors

wheeljack12
02-11-11, 07:08 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20110210094136_AMD_May_Can_Microprocessor_Brand_Na mes_Document.html

Madpistol
02-11-11, 08:26 AM
This isn't unexpected. Other than the word "Core," Intel has moved to a similar naming scheme. I guess AMD believes it's high time for them to do the same thing.

It's a shame we won't have a Phenom 3, though. It sounds like it would have been the amazing part of the Phenom line.

Redeemed
02-11-11, 10:56 AM
This is a good move. If AMD really has a good product in the pipeline, they shouldn't call it Phenom.
The Phenom name was never under a good star and never produced great products and AMD killed the Athlon brand by only releasing very low end products under that brand.

I'd not say the Phenoms weren't good. I've owned both Phenoms, C2D, C2Q, and this i7 920. The Phenoms have been very competitive chips considering their price tags. Definitely not of the same caliber the K8 line up was, but good chips none-the-less.

However, I think if Bulldozer is really something then changine the name could be of good benefit to AMD. :)

Madpistol
02-11-11, 11:17 AM
I said "great" not "good" ;) Phenoms were good, not great.

Great on gaming performance, great on price. They've been a great alternative to the Core ix lineup for gaming. Only now that Sandy Bridge is on the market has intel surpassed them in value.

Madpistol
02-11-11, 11:54 AM
Yeah maybe the value aspect makes them great for some people.

But apparently that's not even the case in AMD's eyes. Their last great products were far away from typical value price points. Their X2 4800+ or FX series weren't cheap processors.

Because AMD had the superior product at that time. Since that is no longer the case, they've had to compete on price for the last several years. Yea, it sucks that they didn't have a more competitive product, but for those of us that were looking to build a good gaming system for not a lot of money, AMD delivered.

Starscream
02-11-11, 12:18 PM
I'll be glad to see them drop the word Phenom, so I don't have to hear idiots say fenum or fenaam as much.

red777star
02-12-11, 06:23 PM
AMD is dying company. If it wasn't for ATI department they would not be around anymore even i consider ATI cards a headache.

Roadhog
02-12-11, 06:29 PM
AMD is dying company. If it wasn't for ATI department they would not be around anymore even i consider ATI cards a headache.

Troll more. AMD is anything but dying.

red777star
02-13-11, 12:10 AM
Troll more. AMD is anything but dying.

They are two generations behind Intel cpus and Sandy Bridge agressive pricing leaves no room for AMD.

Roadhog
02-13-11, 01:34 AM
They are two generations behind Intel cpus and Sandy Bridge agressive pricing leaves no room for AMD.

can you buy sandy bridge right now?

O wait.. you cant.

Starscream
02-13-11, 02:06 AM
Troll poster be trollin'.

http://zombie.clue-free.com/tpt/newstuff/trollin.jpg

LydianKnight
02-13-11, 07:28 AM
Vision FX doesn't sound that bad... although now I come to think about it...

... sounds like a reading glasses marketing campaign hahaha :p

EDIT: same number of posts as the serial number of my ex-AMD proc. Awwww I miss thee :(