PDA

View Full Version : Zalman ZM80C


bkswaney
08-05-03, 12:40 AM
Anyone here using one?

I ordered one for my 9800 Pro.
They fit FX's also.

I was wonder how people liked them. :)
I did not get the fan. I already have a 60mm
running over my card now.

Did your overclock pickup any?

Greg
08-05-03, 07:23 AM
I'd like to know the same thing, but also, how it performs on the FX5800 and FX5800 Ultra compared to the big fat default cooling.

There have been a couple of review for this device, and for another interesting one called the ThermalTake Giant II Heatpipe.

Unfortunately most of the reviews so far have been onlower end cards, that don't need as much cooling as the 97/800 and 58/900 heat masters.

Badash
08-05-03, 10:57 AM
I returned mine since it doesnt cover the ram and adding ramsinks would jack up the overall cost of doing it. (originally was going to put it on a 5800 U)

bkswaney
08-05-03, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Badash
I returned mine since it doesnt cover the ram and adding ramsinks would jack up the overall cost of doing it. (originally was going to put it on a 5800 U)

Ramsinks are pretty much useless.
I've put them on 2 cards in the past.
I only picked up 4mhz with them.
A nice little fan blowing on the memory
works best for me. :)

ricercar
08-05-03, 12:44 PM
RAMsinks are critical on DDR2 memories. Required. Essential. Mandatory. You'll burn out DDR2 RAMs in an instant if you don't have heat sinks. Fortunately DDR2 is currently only found on GeForce FX 5800/5800-U, and Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB version.

back to the thread topic.

The Zalman ZM80C appears to be a silver version of the ZM80A with added mounting for the fan. Overclockers should be able to get 12 MHz overclock over the stock fansink on GeForce4 cards.

I've gotten the following results with ZM80A on three NVIDIA engineering reference cards compared to the reference fansink:
- two NV25 (GeForce4 Ti4600 AGP 4x) +12 MHz, +13 MHz
- one NV28 (GeForce4 Ti4800 SE AGP 8x). +13 MHz

In all three instances I had at least one 80 mm fan blowing directly across the heatpipe, so consider those overclocks to be equivalent to the ZM80C with fan attached.

Compddd
08-05-03, 03:34 PM
do you think the Zalman ZM80C with the noiseless fan will be enough for the 9900 Pro?

bkswaney
08-05-03, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
RAMsinks are critical on DDR2 memories. Required. Essential. Mandatory. You'll burn out DDR2 RAMs in an instant if you don't have heat sinks. Fortunately DDR2 is currently only found on GeForce FX 5800/5800-U, and Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB version.

back to the thread topic.

The Zalman ZM80C appears to be a silver version of the ZM80A with added mounting for the fan. Overclockers should be able to get 12 MHz overclock over the stock fansink on GeForce4 cards.

I've gotten the following results with ZM80A on three NVIDIA engineering reference cards compared to the reference fansink:
- two NV25 (GeForce4 Ti4600 AGP 4x) +12 MHz, +13 MHz
- one NV28 (GeForce4 Ti4800 SE AGP 8x). +13 MHz

In all three instances I had at least one 80 mm fan blowing directly across the heatpipe, so consider those overclocks to be equivalent to the ZM80C with fan attached.

I know that. :)
But on DDR it's a waste of $.

Compddd
08-05-03, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Compddd
do you think the Zalman ZM80C with the noiseless fan will be enough for the 9900 Pro?

Greg
08-05-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
[COLOR=crimson][b]Overclockers should be able to get 12 MHz overclock over the stock fansink on GeForce4 cards.


That makes sense, cause I did some OCing tests in winter and in summer, when the average temperature varied by 5-10degC, and I got ~10mhz more stable OCing during winter. My tests were with a Geforce3 overclocking with room temperature at ~32degC and ~22degC.

EDIT: I just thought, the cost the this cooler, spent elsewhere at the time of purchasing a CPU or Video card, would give you more than 10mhz performance increase. For eg, the cooler costs ~$60 here, but for $60-100, I could (possibly) have gone up 100mhz CPU, or 1-200 mhz GPU for that money. I really don't think these coolers are cost effective.

ricercar
08-06-03, 03:03 AM
For many of us we're not buying more MHz, we're buying fewer dB. The silence is what I wanted a ZM80A for. The ZM80C with that honking huge fan seems like an oxymoron.

bkswaney
08-06-03, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by ricercar
For many of us we're not buying more MHz, we're buying fewer dB. The silence is what I wanted a ZM80A for. The ZM80C with that honking huge fan seems like an oxymoron.

The fan makes no noise. :) It's big and turns very slow.
Even if it was 3 or 4db the extra cooling would be well worth it. :)

Rytr
08-06-03, 06:57 PM
While I got the 'A' without a fan to lessen noise, I found it does sufficiently cool the gpu to provide slighly higher overclocks than the standard HSF with my 9500Pro. Plus, the option is still there to add additional cooling if needed or if I just want to. ;)

surfhurleydude
08-06-03, 08:04 PM
I'm using this on my Radeon 9800 Pro with a Zalman 92 MM fan blowing on the front and the 80mm Zalman fan connected to the top of the thing. I'm pretty much GPU limited in OCing as my core is pretty much crap.Anyways, the damn thing is silent :)

Compddd
08-06-03, 11:38 PM
My brother has a 1.7 GHz Dell, it is completely silent, no noise at all. I wanna get my computer to that point :D

bkswaney
08-08-03, 10:15 PM
Just finished the install. Everything went smooth.
The Zalman is VERY nice and well made. Everything lined up great.

I did not get the fan. I already had a 60mm delta on it in the first place.

It sure looks cool.
My max OC was 415 without sparkles in the H2O on 3DM03.
I'm now at 430 and still no sparkles. I'm going to keep pushing up till I get sparkles and then back it down 10 or so.


Does anyone know why the back plate does not touch the card? "back of gpu"

Rytr
08-08-03, 10:24 PM
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. :cool:

I run my 9500Pro at 325/315 all the time using the Zalman w/o the fan. The max I have tried is 340/325 and it was stable with no heat issues. If I tried any higher I think I too would want the addition of a fan.

Spliffstarr
08-08-03, 11:21 PM
I am currently considering picking this up as well but i am a little confused as to which is better the tt giant2 or the zalman with the fan. I wanted to get one of these babies for a A-I-W 9800pro that i will be picking up as well as the tt aquarius 2 as well so that i can trully have a silent pc..

Rytr
08-08-03, 11:32 PM
Don't think you would want anything as big as this sink touching any part of the card except for the surface of the gpu.

It would add more heat (no air flow around the sink), pressure could crush the contacts, plus it could short out the board.

Those are my WAGs anyway! :D