PDA

View Full Version : Backup an Android phone, how?

Destroy
02-15-11, 11:07 PM
Is there any app out there that will allow me to backup my phone FULLY? 2.1btw.

Don't want to mess with rooting and hacking crap. Just want a $50 app to make it easy and simple to save all my data, apps, contacts, emails, drafts, games, docs, pics, etc..

snowmanwithahat
02-15-11, 11:23 PM
You need to figure out what exactly it is you're wanting to back up...

If you want docs / pics / videos /etc.... then that's goin to be on the SD card and honestly a simple drag and drop to a PC is your best choice.

For contacts I'd highly recommend not even bothering with local backups, push them all off to your gmail account. I could break my phone in half, log into my mom's android phone on my gmail account and get all my contacts back without missing a beat.

For backing up the actual apps... that's not so easy. Android isn't really built well to do that. I've had the most luck with mine using Clockwork Recovery, that definitely requires rooting your phone though. It replaces the stock recovery with a modified version which allows backups and flashing of other ROMs.

Might want to bother taking a look at Titanium Backup... I think it might require root though

ViN86
02-15-11, 11:35 PM
Well, contacts can be handled via Google contacts sync. That's how I handle mine.

As for backing up without rooting, I don't know. Honestly, I rooted and backed up mine in about 10 minutes and it was very easy.

nekrosoft13
02-16-11, 12:05 AM
and what does Google contacts sync do? save everything to gmail?

after all these years there still is no reliable easy way to sync android with outlook?

six_storm
02-16-11, 06:55 AM

Yes.

after all these years there still is no reliable easy way to sync android with outlook?

Unless you are connecting it to an Exchange account, I haven't seen any way of doing it. But then again, I've never seen anyone use Outlook outside of having an Exchange email account.

nekrosoft13
02-16-11, 08:15 AM
Unless you are connecting it to an Exchange account, I haven't seen any way of doing it. But then again, I've never seen anyone use Outlook outside of having an Exchange email account.

having office for free, why wouldn't I use it?

being able to check/use all my e-mail address from one location. tied into with contacts, calendar all from secure location. I'm not going to use gmail store my contacts/calendar or use gmail for my banking information.

and why would I run exchange server at my house.

ViN86
02-16-11, 08:29 AM

There is if you don't mind spending $30.

having office for free, why wouldn't I use it?

being able to check/use all my e-mail address from one location. tied into with contacts, calendar all from secure location. I'm not going to use gmail store my contacts/calendar or use gmail for my banking information.

and why would I run exchange server at my house.

Why is that? Is your calendar top secret? Google contacts and calendar are more than enough for the average joe.

As for banking information, I use a different private account, which I use a free app called K-9 Mail to access via my phone.

nekrosoft13
02-18-11, 08:21 AM
Why is that? Is your calendar top secret? Google contacts and calendar are more than enough for the average joe.

As for banking information, I use a different private account, which I use a free app called K-9 Mail to access via my phone.

nah, its not top secret, i just don't trust google when it comes to keeping my data secure. Simply preffer to have it on local machine and sync data.

ViN86
02-18-11, 08:27 AM
nah, its not top secret, i just don't trust google when it comes to keeping my data secure. Simply preffer to have it on local machine and sync data.

I can respect that. There is a great app to sync your Android phone with Office. It costs $30 I think, but it's only a one time charge and the app is very nice.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.companionlink.clusbsync&feature=search_result

Bman212121
02-18-11, 08:38 AM
I don't know of an app that does it honestly. Rooting the phone and bootstrapping the recovery lets you do a nandroid backup which is basically copy the entire contents of the phone's flash into a backup file. It's just like the option for full backups when using Pocket PC. It would be nice if you could just do this by default but I'm guessing that would give people too much power. It's kind of silly to have a linux OS but not have root access since you need root to perform a lot of tasks.

What you might look into is just goto the manufacturer's website of your phone and see if they have sync software. I know HTC and Motorola both have software that should let you backup at least some of the data via sync.

ViN86
02-18-11, 08:43 AM
I don't know of an app that does it honestly. Rooting the phone and bootstrapping the recovery lets you do a nandroid backup which is basically copy the entire contents of the phone's flash into a backup file. It's just like the option for full backups when using Pocket PC. It would be nice if you could just do this by default but I'm guessing that would give people too much power. It's kind of silly to have a linux OS but not have root access since you need root to perform a lot of tasks.

What you might look into is just goto the manufacturer's website of your phone and see if they have sync software. I know HTC and Motorola both have software that should let you backup at least some of the data via sync.

Yes that's what I used to back up my Droid X before I changed the ROM.

I think you're forgetting that the OS is aimed at the general population. The last thing they need is root access. :o

Install virus? Sure! Install trojan? Sure! Keylogger? Give it root access! :lol:

Destroy
02-18-11, 09:05 AM
It's a Virgin Mobile android phone so not sure if they offer any backup software, sort of doubt it actually.

nekrosoft13
02-18-11, 09:38 AM
I can respect that. There is a great app to sync your Android phone with Office. It costs $30 I think, but it's only a one time charge and the app is very nice.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.companionlink.clusbsync&feature=search_result

I did read a review about that one, its quite bad.

doesn't copy data correctly, and data is inserted in "dejavucalendar" instead of the actual android calender

sycned contacts don't show up in android phone dailer.

ViN86
02-18-11, 10:26 AM
I did read a review about that one, its quite bad.

doesn't copy data correctly, and data is inserted in "dejavucalendar" instead of the actual android calender

sycned contacts don't show up in android phone dailer.

My dad used it. He didn't have any problems really. Yes you have to use dejavucalendar, but you just said you don't want Google storing your info. Also, he didn't have issues with the contacts. Sounds like the reviewer didn't read the directions because on my father's phone the contacts show up and work just fine.

There's a free program for your PC to sync the calendar:
http://www.androidtapp.com/how-to-synch-your-outlook-calendar-google-calendar-and-android-phone-calendar/

nekrosoft13
02-18-11, 11:37 AM
i might try this once I get the phone

http://www.android-sync.com/

nekrosoft13
02-18-11, 11:40 AM
My dad used it. He didn't have any problems really. Yes you have to use dejavucalendar, but you just said you don't want Google storing your info. Also, he didn't have issues with the contacts. Sounds like the reviewer didn't read the directions because on my father's phone the contacts show up and work just fine.

ideally i would like a way to sync outlook with native android programs, but stop those program from sending the data to google to be stored in server.

DiscipleDOC
02-18-11, 11:51 AM
I use Titanium Backup (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/). I flash my phone a LOT, and this program allows me to restore my apps without having to re-download them. :)

nekrosoft13
02-22-11, 02:32 PM
syncing android is such a pain, I really can't believe how bad it still is.

Yesterday got the phone charged and ready, then noticed that motorola claims their motoblur service can sync contacts, i though great let try it.

On motoblur website, it asked for vcard file, so I got that exported from outlook for one contact and the only data that was "synced" was name and telephone. Everything else like Address, e-mail, picture, birthdate, fax etc.. was ignored.

After googling for a while I found MyPhone Explorer, actually quite a interesting app, but it required to enable USB debugging mode, what ever that does. It managed to sync contacts better then first method, since it actually synced name, phone and address, and again rest was ignored.

It completly failed to sync calendar, when it claimed it did.

HTC seems to be on the right track with their HTC sync tool, but it only works with few HTC phones :(

Next on my list is to try The Missing Sync, maybe that works better.

For such a "mature" platform this is one big mess. Even Apple was able to provide this feature for their Iphone, google should be ashamed.

With Apple you have to install the horrible Itunes to do this, but atleast your data is not being stored on some server somewhere.

Destroy
02-22-11, 03:55 PM
Agree Android sucks in business stuff like basic backing up.

Glad I own a Blackberry. :)

Roadhog
02-22-11, 04:04 PM
I use Titanium Backup (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/). I flash my phone a LOT, and this program allows me to restore my apps without having to re-download them. :)

You know that is done automatically when you sign into your Google account right?

Apps, contacts, settings. Everything is instantly synced. No need to use any third party programs.

Rakeesh
02-23-11, 12:07 AM
syncing android is such a pain, I really can't believe how bad it still is.

Your phone doesn't have exchange support? My HTC Evo does and I'm using cyanogen (which is modified AOSP so no HTC specific stuff is on it - just a vanilla android phone, just the way I prefer it.)

You know that is done automatically when you sign into your Google account right?

Apps, contacts, settings. Everything is instantly synced. No need to use any third party programs.

Not quite. What is backed up is what apps you downloaded from the market, and your contacts. What isn't backed up is the application data, apps that you've installed from outside the market (e.g. swype, or one of the many development apps on xda,) and your desktop layout.

Say for example you played angry birds for hours on end and made some big progress in that game. Get a new phone, or want to change roms so you need to wipe? Sorry but your save data is gone.

Titanium Backup takes care of all of that on the other hand.