PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like Elite Force II?

Riptide
08-05-03, 10:59 AM
Been playing it for a week now on hard difficulty.

Hafta say the graphics, for an engine as old as quake3's, look pretty nice. I like the nebulas that are painted against the background when you get a chance to look outside of whatever ship/station you're in. The lighting effects aren't bad either.

There were a couple spots in the game so far where I actually got a little tense... Like when the guy gets pulled through the ceiling by one of the aliens. Kinda reminded me of Alien 3. :)

So far it's been pretty enjoyable. I hope to have it finished by the end of this coming weekend. We'll see if I can get the time. The puzzles so far haven't been very bad but I have a tendency to get stuck sometimes.

digitalwanderer
08-05-03, 11:15 AM
I really liked playing it the first time thru, but I haven't re-played it at all since finishing it.

One of them. :)

silence
08-05-03, 11:24 AM
i liked it.....it's fun and you are right about graphics, that engine is doing really good considering how old it is........

digitalwanderer
08-05-03, 11:38 AM
I really liked the variety and surprises they thru at ya, the level when you have to man the manual cannon on the Enterprise D for example...

It was a good game, I just feel it's a one-time play thru experience. :)

Riptide
08-05-03, 12:26 PM
DG, your last sentence sums up my feelings about a different game: Unreal 2. I thought it was a decent enough game, but had very little replayability.

Not sure yet how I feel about this one in that regard. We'll see how I feel once I finish it. :)

Unfortunately, seeing as I have 3 more games on preoder all of which *should* ship next month I doubt I'll have much time to play Elite Force II again even if I were to decide it's just that good.;)

Can't wait for Halo, Homeworld 2, and CS: Condition -0- to arrive!

This will be a great year for gaming. So far I have finished Freelancer, Unreal 2, and Splinter Cell. All 3 were good games, IMHO though I liked Splinter Cell the best.

DaveW
08-05-03, 12:35 PM
I like it, like Elite Force 1 its a good, but not unmissable, game. The one thing I don't like is the old EF1 routine of :

Encounter a shielded door way
Shoot a panel in the wall near by
Crawl through hole to reach shield generator
Crawl back

When you do this 10 times in a mission it gets old

I did like the mini puzzle game for running bypasses with your tricorder.

Riptide
08-05-03, 01:06 PM
Agreed, there are some things that end up being a little on the repetitive side. Those shielded cooridors certainly count as one. The puzzles are fun at times. I encountered one of the ones you were describing yesterday on the attrexian station and it was a real pain in the rear. You have to make the connection with one of your crosses actually touching a short before it will work. I had thought you couldn't do that... It was the puzzle that turned the power generator back on so you can rescue the attrexian engineer.

Reptition aside, no game is without it's flaws and this one certainly has a few. But it's definitely worth the price of purchase, IMHO.

Fotis
08-05-03, 02:25 PM
EFII is a one time experience as someone said.I've played EF1 about 10 times and I still like it.EFII just didn't do the same for me.

CaptNKILL
08-05-03, 03:00 PM
Im playing through it, its a blast when you try to find EVERY secret :)

Im using a secret guide for the ones that stump me, but so far, ive gotten them all :D

Ive probably put 15 hours into the game and im on mission 7 I think. Those secrets make the game last a lot longer.

Riptide
08-05-03, 05:42 PM
I've given up trying to find many of the secrets. They appear to be, in many cases, very well hidden. I've just got past the attrexian space station (mission 4?) and have only managed to collect about 4 starships. Pretty pathetic, I know... But at least I can finish the game without having to find them all! :)

silence
08-05-03, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
DG, your last sentence sums up my feelings about a different game: Unreal 2. I thought it was a decent enough game, but had very little replayability.

i wanted to say few words about Unreal2 in my post, but i thought better not since we were talking Elite Force 2.
Unreal2 is big,big disappointment for me, IMO EF2 is much better game, much more fun, faster, better enemies, better story....

it's like that Unreal2 devs were thinking "we have prolly the best graphics engine currently,we don't need story"...there are so many things that are simply wrong in Unreal2......

and i totally agree about Homeworld2...can't wait...that and Half Life 2 offcourse:D

digitalwanderer
08-05-03, 06:05 PM
Total agreement on the EF2 is a much better game than Unreal2 for a single-player experience!

Much better pacing, much less buggy, and just more enjoyable all around for me. :)

EliteForces2 was a great game, I just don't feel it has a lot of replay value. That being said, I think I'll try replaying it in a few hours just since I've been talking about it so much today... ;)

Riptide
08-07-03, 09:23 AM
Damnit! I'm stuck in a pretty tough part (IMHO)...

I'm trying to defend the engineering/warp core against the boarding party. There are two spots to re-up on your energy but no place to get health. After about the third wave of boarders transport in I'm pretty close to dead with no way to heal. Any ideas on what to do? I've tried several of the different weapons but it hasn't done much for me so far. Can't seem to live past about that third wave. How many waves of boarders are there in this spot?

digitalwanderer
08-07-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Damnit! I'm stuck in a pretty tough part (IMHO)...

I'm trying to defend the engineering/warp core against the boarding party. There are two spots to re-up on your energy but no place to get health. After about the third wave of boarders transport in I'm pretty close to dead with no way to heal. Any ideas on what to do? I've tried several of the different weapons but it hasn't done much for me so far. Can't seem to live past about that third wave. How many waves of boarders are there in this spot?
Easy, CHEAT! :D

"bind v timescale 1"
"bind c timescale .3"

;)

Riptide
08-07-03, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tip DW. Before I cheat though I have to admit defeat. Not quite there yet. ;)

A friend of mine gave me a tip that I'll try out this evening. Using the Enh. Comp. Rifle's secondary attack I will try and take out the Idryll *quickly*. That will drain energy fast but I should hopefully be able to save quickly in between waves and get some juice from the energy chargers on the wall.

If that doesn't get me by it after another hour or two of trying I'll have to take a break lest I lose my temper. :)

Monolyth
08-08-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I really liked the variety and surprises they thru at ya, the level when you have to man the manual cannon on the Enterprise D for example...

It was a good game, I just feel it's a one-time play thru experience. :)

Enterprise "E" to be exact. :)

That mission wasn't easy tho...taking out those guys behind their defense walls. Phew.

It was a one-timer for me, as was Unreal 2.

One game that I sometimes come back to play is AvP 2. Now that had some wild SP in it. I loved being Predator and ripping peoples heads off. Mmm. :)

silence
08-08-03, 04:46 PM
yap...but playing as marine was one of best experiences i had in gaming....

heart attack waiting around every corner......i loved it, u never knew what's next....:)

GlowStick
08-09-03, 12:58 AM
I thought EF II was great, they brought back secrets, those were fun to find, but drove me nutz, everything i saw i thought "hm, could that be a secret"

i am proud that i figured out how to get the Staff Weapon, i had to try every tablet so many times heh.

CaptNKILL
08-09-03, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
I thought EF II was great, they brought back secrets, those were fun to find, but drove me nutz, everything i saw i thought "hm, could that be a secret"

i am proud that i figured out how to get the Staff Weapon, i had to try every tablet so many times heh.
yeah that weapon kicks ass! It eats up the Idrylium ammo tho.... but thats not a big problem since the Arc gun sucks :p

I'll admit tho, I used the secret guide to find this one :)

GlowStick
08-09-03, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
yeah that weapon kicks ass! It eats up the Idrylium ammo tho.... but thats not a big problem since the Arc gun sucks :p

I'll admit tho, I used the secret guide to find this one :)

when i saw the cracked door, i peeked though and decided 'you must have to shoot one of those button'

i spent so much time on that, finaly i said screw it, then went on and saw 4 conspicious buttons on the wall shot em, and the doors opend!

then i wen in the room thinking "oh yeah this is one good secret!"

couldnt find anything, pressed buttons nothign happend, then ran in circles and saw one beam start... finaly figured out i had to hit em in a sequecne and said "oh man this is gonna take some time"