PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Make Doublescan Default On High Resolution CRTs

jtsn
02-18-11, 10:30 AM
While most users switched to LCDs, some of us still using high resolution CRT monitors, size ranging from 19" to 22" (1600x1200 to 2048x1536). These monitors are not good at displaying low resolutions that classic games use and produce a ugly scanline* effect (Modern LCDs aren't good either, because classic games also use the 4:3 aspect ratio resulting in big black bars left and right).

*) scanline effect = horizontal black bars though the picture.

Fortunately, nVidia GPUs support doublescan, that virtually double the lines, so the ugly scanlines go away. Unfortunalety it is disabled by default and the option to enable it is hidden in the classic control panel, which has gone long ago and must be brought back by registry fuddling just to enable one option. Also this works only on Windows XP and not on Windows 7. Every driver update disables doublescan again.

I see no reason, why doublescan should be disabled at all on monitors that are capable of 1600x1200 and more, so I would like to see it enabled by default on newer driver releases. Or at least an option to create custom modes using doublescan in the new control panel.

AngelGraves13
02-20-11, 01:43 AM
Maybe this should be on the official NVIDIA forums?

Also, I hate to say it, but I think you're alone with the CRT business as almost everyone else has switched over.

My Samsung 22'' monitor does 1680X1050 (thinking of upgrading to 1920X1080 soon) and 120Hz for 3D Vision. I have no complaints about it as there is almost zero blurring or ghosting at 120Hz refresh rate.

If you do decide to get an LCD, get one that does 120Hz and you'll never look back.

jlippo
02-21-11, 01:24 PM
Have you tried the nvidia scaling options from nv display options?
NVCP - display - adjust desctop size and position - use nvidia scaling.

yakumo
03-12-11, 07:08 AM
Also, I hate to say it, but I think you're alone with the CRT business as almost everyone else has switched over.

Sweeping assumptions ahoy! Millions of CRTs still out there in use.

MaXThReAT
04-09-11, 11:31 PM
I'm still using a very nice CRT and know many people that still use them and I am appalled at how quickly NV dropped support. I haven't been able to use any res above 85hz, resolutions missing and adding them has not worked in a long time either.