Roadhog
02-18-11, 02:56 PM
Vote.

DiscipleDOC
02-18-11, 02:58 PM
'Droid. Very customizable.

Bearclaw
02-18-11, 03:04 PM
Easily between iOS and Android. I have a iPhone and I would probably say Android. Customization simply destroys iOS. Also, notifications and maps. Apparently Apple is completely re-doing maps and notifications for the next iOS but for now iOS is behind Android given those features.

As far as BBM goes, it is HORRENDOUS. Same with W7.

Bman212121
02-18-11, 03:44 PM
guessing this won't even be close...

If you are okay with letting someone else configure your phone exactly how they think is best, then you'll love the iphone because everything is done for you. If you want to be able to change features on your phone and do things differently then you'll want android.

Still interested in Windows phone. It might just be a stop gap though to Windows 8 if that is going to support ARM. Maybe they will unify the desktop and mobile OS along with XNA support for games. Used to really like Windows mobile on my pocket pc. Seems like that device could do so many things at the time.

I don't think BB has anything to really say I want a phone with that OS on it. Last phones I played with were Torch 9600s and it's really a bummer to lose the touchscreen once you're used to it.

nekrosoft13
02-18-11, 04:06 PM
voted for droid, used few droid phones, but only owned one Galaxy S, sold it because of horrible GPS.

Have a new droid on the way, Motorola Atrix ;)

But I still love my little Windows Mobile 6.5.3 HTC Fuze (Touch Pro), GPS with TomTom is excellent on it, very accurate.

Maverick123w
02-18-11, 04:32 PM
Android..... love the customization, but I wish it flowed and ran as smoothly as iOS.

CaptnStubing
02-18-11, 04:44 PM
I like iOS but love Andoid. The biggest reason why I tend to not buy Apple products is you have to use it the way they "intended" you to use it. Companies like Android (if it is a company) make the product and you get to use it the way you want. They just provide the platform. Apple is so condisending and snarky with their poducts. They treat their products as if they are gifts from the Jobs almighty. No they are just another good product out there for us to choose from.

zoomy942
02-18-11, 05:05 PM
i have had ios and android for extended periods of time.

ios all the way. i do IT work for a living and i have zero interest in customizing, flashing or otherwise modding my phone. i dont care.

just work and thats all i ask. ios ftw

six_storm
02-18-11, 05:19 PM
I voted for iOS for two reasons:

1) Apps. iOS is king of apps right now and there is no denying it. Android is second best but they still have a ways to catch up.

2) Speed. I bought my Droid in 2010 when Froyo was about to come out and I loved the speed of Android. However Froyo ruined that for me. My phone became extremely slow after a few days of use. This forced me to root my phone and try out a custom ROM, which in a way I'm really glad it happened. I put UltimateDroid on my D1 and it's faster now than stock. But I really shouldn't have to do this and technically void my warranty to get the speed I want out of my phone.

After checking out my co-workers VZW iPhone 4, downloading and running apps like a madman, it never once slowed down or goofed up on me. I'm heavily debating on getting an iPhone next year when my contract runs up. We will just have to see what the Android army has to come up with between now and then.

Q
02-18-11, 05:28 PM
WebOS.

Crappy phones, superb OS.

I think Apple comes next for 95% of the population. Not for me. I like being able to do an SSH tunnel and then RDP. Do terminal work remotely. It's great for me as a work device.

The iPhone is just so polished. The games are so much better. It just feels like a finished device. I love my Droid Incredible, but my wife isn't too thrilled with it.

Roliath
02-18-11, 08:44 PM
I like when I connect my phone to my macbook pro, music/photos get synced and my contacts, notes, bookmarks get sycned over mobileme. To top it off I didn't have to change anything in my workflow (aperture/itunes/mail.app/contacts.app) for it to work as well as it does.

iOS is just easier to use and I don't have to **** with **** for it to just work. iOS gets my vote, and no i'm not a fanboy.

EDIT: OUT OF THE BOX -> iOS wins. If you want to talk about rooting(custom roms)/jailbreaking take that elsewhere

Sazar
02-18-11, 10:00 PM
Out of the box, WinMo 7 wins. It is the smoothest of the operating systems and has widgets that work well and is quite simple and easy to use.

Otherwise, Android has to be the best all around OS :)

iOS sucks outside of it's smoothness. No widgets, no customization, locked down in pretty much every respect and very in-elegant in overall design, not to mention you are FORCED to use iTunes, one of the worst pieces of bloatware out there, to synch your device and have a retarded file-management system.

Fwiw, widgets/live apps > iOS locked down b.s.

Rakeesh
02-19-11, 01:28 PM
FWIW if you really want iOS look and feel, you can have it on android. All of it. Including the benefits of android, such as widgets and yet more customization.

G0U8ISI8YXM

Just goes to show you how scalable android truly is. Personally I like Cyanogen mod, but if iOS is your thing, there's MIUI.

Rakeesh
02-19-11, 01:35 PM
WebOS.

Crappy phones, superb OS.

I think Apple comes next for 95% of the population. Not for me. I like being able to do an SSH tunnel and then RDP. Do terminal work remotely. It's great for me as a work device.

You can do all of that on android.

I like when I connect my phone to my macbook pro, music/photos get synced and my contacts, notes, bookmarks get sycned over mobileme.

You can do all of that over wifi on android, or wired, your choice :D Even sync with itunes over wifi. Though I personally hate itunes as its a bloated piece of garbage, you have a choice of using that or something else. Note that somebody tried to make this possible with iphone, but apple rejected it for some reason. Google doesn't reject anything on android however.

That's another nice thing about android is ALL apps are available from ONE app store. On iphone you have to jailbreak and get half of your apps from cydia, other half from apple app store. On android regardless of whether or not the app requires root, it can be made available on the android market.

Roliath
02-19-11, 08:16 PM
You can do all of that on android.

You can do all of that over wifi on android, or wired, your choice :D Even sync with itunes over wifi. Though I personally hate itunes as its a bloated piece of garbage, you have a choice of using that or something else. Note that somebody tried to make this possible with iphone, but apple rejected it for some reason. Google doesn't reject anything on android however.

That's another nice thing about android is ALL apps are available from ONE app store. On iphone you have to jailbreak and get half of your apps from cydia, other half from apple app store. On android regardless of whether or not the app requires root, it can be made available on the android market.

I wasn't aware of any mobileme sync apps or even an aperture/itunes sync app on android. What are their names, I know someone who can benefit from those.

DiscipleDOC
02-19-11, 11:07 PM
I wasn't aware of any mobileme sync apps or even an aperture/itunes sync app on android. What are their names, I know someone who can benefit from those.

Here's one:
http://mobiputing.com/2010/03/how-to-automatically-sync-your-android-phone-with-itunes/

Yaboze
02-20-11, 11:02 AM
I voted iOS because of the Apps and it just seems smoother, faster. Every Android phone I have played with, including the Evo and Samsung seemed sluggish and buggy and even their owners said so.

Great hardware on these phones and the Samsung OLED screen is amazing but they scrolled and swiped through screens rather sluggishly.

Sazar
02-20-11, 12:15 PM
I voted iOS because of the Apps and it just seems smoother, faster. Every Android phone I have played with, including the Evo and Samsung seemed sluggish and buggy and even their owners said so.

Great hardware on these phones and the Samsung OLED screen is amazing but they scrolled and swiped through screens rather sluggishly.

Most of the apps that supposedly are smoother and faster were probably developed on iOS first and then ported over. Native Android apps don't really have this issue.

iOS certainly does have a little more polished feel to it, but it doesn't compare to WinMo 7 honestly. Having played around with WinMo, I have to say, Microsoft did a fantastic job with the overall "feel" and smoothness. My pet peeves with iOS (lack of widgets, customizability, ability to change things around and all that) still exist, especially widgets.

And STILL no Flash :(

ViN86
02-20-11, 02:20 PM
Easily Android is better than anything out there. If you jailbreak your iOS it's a close second. But if you don't jailbreak it is a ****ty hand holding OS that gives no freedom to its users.

I have a rooted Droid X and a jailbroken ipod touch running iOS 4.1.

Rakeesh
02-20-11, 02:40 PM

There are three that I know of (four if you count my preferred method, which isn't automatic, but works well for my purposes,) and maybe more.

The first one is winamp, which does itunes sync (and I think non itunes as well) and has even a really nice player, and handles all of the wifi sync from top to bottom. Best of all, it's free. I'm not certain if it does any additional itunes libraries (e.g. photos, videos) but it may as it claims full itunes sync:

http://www.winamp.com/android

Another one is called TuneSync, which is a non-itunes alternative, and I think costs $2.99:

http://highwindsoftware.com/

And lastly is doubleTwist, which syncs all itunes libraries, including music, pictures, podcasts, videos, and some other stuff that itunes does. I think this one is $4.99.

http://www.doubletwist.com/

Personally my preferred method is to setup my phone with a samba share, and access it by simply opening up the start menu and typing \\jjdphone and I immediately get access to my sdcard contents, where I can just drag and drop files at will. No special programs to run or anything, and I can do it from any computer (even mac or linux) so long as it is on the same wireless network. Or I can even use my phone to create a wireless network, complete with internet access over the 3g network, that the computer can connect to.

AthlonXP1800
02-21-11, 01:53 PM
I voted Android, it will be my next phone. I almost went for iphone 5 but now firmed on Android after found out from my mate complainted he heard nothing from me months ago after send text asked me to stay at his place overnight. I told him I not received his text about stay overnight so text probably be lost and I asked him is sms delivery report enabled? He said iphone dont have it and dont have backup of texts, I was absolutely dismayed at it after researched and confirmed on internet. :o

Ever old ancient and new Symbian OS, Android, WebOS, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 all has SMS delivery report as standard excepted IOS.

WHY DO IOS DONT HAVE SMS DELIVERY REPORT??? :thumbdwn:

Without it, here no way to know when sms successful sent, failed or in queue.

I will stick with itouch, will never buy a iphone ever until Apple implement SMS delivery report into IOS.