PDA

View Full Version : I needed a bigger case.

Pages : [1] 2

ragejg
02-19-11, 12:24 PM
I've enjoyed my Sunbeam Tuniq 3 for a couple years now. But I'll admit, it's a little cheap and flimsy... its saving grace is the slab of brushed aluminum on the front, as well as the 120mm fan capability and tool-free setup.

But with GF100 and GF110 cards fitting in the case with barely 1/4" to spare, I recognize that the case is not all that big, and in fact is a little too small for an optimal SLI setup... And it definitely wouldn't fit any GPU longer than a GTX 480/580... you know, like the proposed GTX 590...

So a friend gave me something... a case that NVIDIA still does thermal testing of GPUs with, despite its advanced age. ... a case that is a bit old school but has good moddability and a look that still attracts the eye.

Cooler Master Wave Master... what, NV tests GPUs with a 2003-era case? Yup!

... So I got it home yesterday, disassembled it and washed all components thoroughly...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn258/ragejg/P1050463b.jpg

... and got it back together.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn258/ragejg/P1050467a.jpg

... I don't know if this will serve as a primary case, as I'll need to do some good modding to allow for larger fans/better cooling... stuff I'd likely do anyway, like a 120mm fan mounted on the back of the case, a blowhole fan, some cable management help etc...

Well whatever, I'm just gonna have fun with it. It is a good looking case IMO and I wouldn't mind working with it. :) I'm mostly just happy that I can fit bigger GPUs in this unit.

Roadhog
02-19-11, 01:00 PM
Way to tease us :p

http://i.imgur.com/F2wCd.jpg

Redeemed
02-19-11, 01:04 PM
:lol:

ragejg
02-19-11, 01:44 PM
Sheesh you ninnies, (pb)this is about the darn case, not my mention of a speculated GPU that I may or may not end up reviewing IF it even will exist in a consumer form. (crazy)

Muppet
02-19-11, 09:50 PM
Wow awesome card. Oops, I meant case :o

betterdan
02-19-11, 09:53 PM
I had that same case but in brushed aluminum and it is very nice looking but the cooling sucked. I gave it to my step daughter's boyfriend when I got the HAF 922.
The little piece in the front blocking the fan intake holes, along with the small intake holes themselves really seems to block a lot of air flow. If you can do something about that it could help greatly.

Muppet
02-19-11, 09:54 PM
I had that same case but in brushed aluminum and it is very nice looking but the cooling sucked. I gave it to my step daughter's boyfriend when I got the HAF 922

He will need good cooling for the 590 :p

K007
02-20-11, 03:36 AM
i love my haf-x ><!

Johnny C
02-20-11, 01:11 PM
I have a Praetorian which is almost identical...good case...and I love how the mobo tray comes out completely...however my Antec 900 provides superior cooling by far.

betterdan
02-20-11, 06:07 PM
Yea that pull out motherboard tray was kind of cool... until you got a tall heatsink fan then it was useless because you couldn't pull it out anymore.

ragejg
02-21-11, 08:16 AM
Yea that pull out motherboard tray was kind of cool... until you got a tall heatsink fan then it was useless because you couldn't pull it out anymore.

... a problem I will likely run into with my push/pull modded Kingwin XT-1264.

I'm really not gonna expect any better cooling than on my Tuniq 3 case... right now I just have this so it can fit a longer GPU.

I would like to address the front cooling issues on this case though; I think I might have a couple ideas on what to do there to help things out.

Redeemed
02-21-11, 08:18 AM
... a problem I will likely run into with my push/pull modded Kingwin XT-1264.

I'm really not gonna expect any better cooling than on my Tuniq 3 case... right now I just have this so it can fit a longer GPU.

I would like to address the front cooling issues on this case though; I think I might have a couple ideas on what to do there to help things out.

Drill and a dremel tool. :D

nekrosoft13
02-21-11, 08:52 AM
I really liked the cases of that era. Great looking designs with lots of innovation - Lian Li and Coolermaster were on top of their game. Both dropped the ball by now by releasing mostly extremely ugly cases like the Armorsuit or HAF series. Luckily Silverstone still provides good looking cases.

Cooler Master has not made a good case for long time, Stacker (had one) was a POS, huge, with barelly any room inside. bad layout and troublesome motherboard tray, with many trays being defective, not at 90 degrees angle to the backplate, causing issues with installing expansion cards.

HAF series is just ugly, beyond ugly, just like most recent silverstone cases, Raven anyone? :headexplode: The only decent looking silverstone case released recently cost $500+ bucks, and cooling looks to be bad jus like in Corsair 800D Case.

Lian-li while they do have some ugly cases like the Armour suit, or their Lancool line, Lian-Li still has the biggest number of classic good cooling cases from any case manufacture, and their cases are actually affordable and with good cooling.

Their PC-X line, PC-A line and PC-V line all above excellent.

NeonShark
02-21-11, 11:13 PM
Hi,
I have a Corsair Obsidian 800D case, IMHO it's the best case on the market.

ragejg
02-21-11, 11:53 PM
Hi,

irrelevant post is irrelevant.

Funnily even.

bob saget
02-21-11, 11:57 PM
Hi,

http://speaktopower.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/oh_rly.jpg

betterdan
02-22-11, 06:32 AM
:lol:

Bah!
02-22-11, 07:34 AM
Cooler Master has not made a good case for long time,

HAF series is just ugly, beyond ugly

I have a HAF 932 and love it. Excellent cooling, plenty of room, and IMO not ugly at all.

irrelevant post is irrelevant.

Funnily even.

He was probably responding to this:

The only decent looking silverstone case released recently cost $500+ bucks, and cooling looks to be bad jus like in Corsair 800D Case.

nekrosoft13
02-22-11, 09:27 AM
Agreed about the Cooler Master line up and the Raven.

But the TJ07, 09, 10 and now the 11 are great products and I bet the TJ11's cooling is better than it looks because of the Penetrator fans. That design would have helped me with my Tri-SLI experiment :p

Lian Li still has classic designs but I think their build quality is not the same anymore. At least that was my impression when I build a system for a friend using a $350 Lian Li big tower (forgot the exact model name). There were sharp edges and the I/O brackets weren't really precise because I had trouble installing PCI/PCIe cards.

In past 6-8 months I build about 10 PCs in Lian-Li cases, From PC-A, PC-X and PC-V series, and not a single one of them had a sharp corner, super light and sturdy. About trouble installing PCI cards, some new cases have have toolless system that takes 2 minutes to figure out, and its a breeze to use, open lock, place card, snap it in, and lock. If toolless system is not required it can be removed with two screws, and then it works excactly the same like any other case on the market. thumb screws to secure the cards.

Lian-Li releaed more excellent cases in one year, then Silverstone released in last 4-5 years. Silverstone is off their game, they spend to much time screwing around with rotating the motherboard then actually building decent cases.
I have a HAF 932 and love it. Excellent cooling, plenty of room, and IMO not ugly at all.

He was probably responding to this:

About HAF, for me those cases look like a 80s sci-fi prop, to much plastic, to many weird shapes, and steel heavy inside construction, just not for me, But I will agree that they do have good cooling, because of the huge side fan.

Back to 800D, the only thing that case is good for is water cooling, stay away if your air cooling, there are better cases out there.

mullet
02-22-11, 09:44 AM
This is my favorite case!!!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11160/cst-1025/Lian_Li_PC-X900B_Advanced_Mid_Tower_Case_-_Black_Black.html

nekrosoft13
02-22-11, 10:42 AM
so really you only like one Silverstone case, the TJ11 since its the only one with rotated board, and with the current price tag, it will never sell well.

I would never buy any of the other TJ cases mentioned, since there at least 3-5 years ago with outdated design, lack of back plate hole etc...

there much much better newer cases on the market.

Redeemed
02-22-11, 10:47 AM
so really you only like one Silverstone case, the TJ11 since its the only one with rotated board, and with the current price tag, it will never sell well.

Both Ravens have rotated motherboards as well.

nekrosoft13
02-22-11, 10:56 AM
Both Ravens have rotated motherboards as well.

True, and there is another (forgot the name) but slawter doesn't like ravens because of external look last time I remember.

ragejg
02-22-11, 11:07 AM
So hey...

I'm certain that I'm going to install a 92 or 120mm blowhole fan in this case (I need to locate the top panel fan conversion kit from Cooler Master, or I'll just do it myself with ingenuity and VelcroŽ), and will mount a 92 or 120mm on the rear of the case (on the outside, as neatly as possible... or I might use an 80mmm fan frame as an extender on the inside coupled with an adapter, and then use a low-pro fan so it doesn't interfere with the CPU cooler)... and these things alone should help a good amount... but I do want to address the Achilles Heel of this case: the front panel airflow restriction...

The aluminum block is actually spaced out far enough to where it really doesn't inhibit airflow; sure it might be in front of the holes, bit if you look at the surface area around the sides of it, there's more than enough space to suck plenty of CFM in... so IMO what really makes sense is to address those small holes. I plan to break out a high-quality metal drill bit and enlarge the holes dramatically, by 50-100%. I also plan on taking the bottom mount plate and putting some well-placed holes in that, so it sucks from the bottom as well as from around the sides of the aluminum block... Sure, I'd like to just take the piece to a metal shop and jigsaw the small front panel holes so it's just completely open air (I'd then fashion some sort of filter to the backside), but increasing the hole size should do just fine...

So that makes sense, right?

Now what I'd also like to do is cut two very large holes in the bottom and install two low-profile 92 or 120mm fans to suck air from underneath the case (and filter them so they don't just suck in dust)... do you guys think this will help? I've never had a case with bottom-mount fans installed; do they generally help things out or are they often useless?

I'll likely also either obtain a replacement side panel with a window and fan bracket, or I'll make something like this myself... and I'd mount a fan or two... two 120mm fans, or maybe just one fan; larger than a 120.

So over the next month I'll be working on this; with the goal of greatly improving the cooling of this case while not affecting the looks of the case.

Why am I doing this? despite its age I really like the appearance of this case; and as some of you may know I like taking older equipment and updating it to more modern standards.

betterdan
02-22-11, 11:11 AM
Good luck Rage. I also love the look of that case and almost started to do what you are thinking about doing when I had one. It was just easier to get the case I have now.
Interested to see how yours turns out though.