PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and Nvidia pull out of the PCGA

rudedog
02-21-11, 04:52 AM
With Microsofts renewed commitment (Wish, MS or someone could point out what they are doing for PC gaming) it's interesting that both MS and nVidia pull out of the PCGA

Big Download has been contacted by PC Gaming Alliance president Matt Ployhar who has confirmed that two of the organization's founding members, Microsoft and Nvidia, have indeed left the non-profit organization. Ployhar would not comment on why the two companies have left the PCGA, saying that he would prefer both Microsoft and Nvidia to communication their reasons directly to us.

- Source (read the full article) Bigdownload (http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/02/18/update-on-pc-gaming-alliance-and-departures-of-microsoft-and-nvi/) via Gameindustry.biz

Then again what has the PCGA done for PC gaming? What we need is an end user organization that has a bit more bite then the PCGA

K007
02-21-11, 05:36 AM
i guess...it sucks they left...but then again what have they done? i never seen PCGA behind a game, but i know nvidia obviously have to be behind gaming....but they are more with there own things like cuda/phyx...and MS is just xbox360.

nutcrackr
02-21-11, 06:02 AM
I can't blame either of them for leaving, paying what 20k per year just to slap your name on a website that comments on piracy and gives a report about PC game sales every so often hardly seems worth it.

rudedog
02-21-11, 06:14 AM
By being a 30K contributor you have a seat on the board and can make the "Big picture decisions" I guess it was not worth their time and effort. Knowing MS, the person who was in charge of making the payment must have moved departments, left the company or was fired.

As a MS MVP for games for windows, we have not had a conference call/ meeting in over 2.5 years.

K007
02-21-11, 06:24 AM
I think for this to really take off

intel/amd/nvidia and MS need to be in one group. and put in the money for games to properly be done on PC. they are the only ones that can push pc gaming forward.

but with MS not backing pc gaming it's hard for the rest to go, and i dont think intel really push it either...they would have money right?..i mean p67 disaster lol....

the problem is there is no money to push for pc development. With MS backing xbox360 what chance do pc games have?

rudedog
02-21-11, 06:49 AM
I think for this to really take off

intel/amd/nvidia and MS need to be in one group. and put in the money for games to properly be done on PC. they are the only ones that can push pc gaming forward.

but with MS not backing pc gaming it's hard for the rest to go, and i dont think intel really push it either...they would have money right?..i mean p67 disaster lol....

the problem is there is no money to push for pc development. With MS backing xbox360 what chance do pc games have?

You're correct, however it's 94.8% of Microsoft, who needs to put money into PC development so PC gaming can have exclusive DLC. I'm not saying PC specific, but if they can spend the money on their console exclusive, it should include the PC (on windows).

For the other hardware vendors, do they really see their early adopters buying new products if the old stuff works fine? Hell I have not purchased a intel, Nvidia, EVGA product in about 1.5 years. My current rig runs everything full boat fine.

The main problem is, at MS one department does not know what the hell the other department is doing, thus you constantly get half assed products from them most of the time.

Then again, when MS is ready to sell us Win8, I have a good feeling MS will "support" PC gaming. They'll say it and I have a feeling they will internally believe they are supporting it but will do absolutely nothing about it.

ViN86
02-21-11, 07:39 AM
With Microsofts renewed commitment (Wish, MS or someone could point out what they are doing for PC gaming) it's interesting that both MS and nVidia pull out of the PCGA

Big Download has been contacted by PC Gaming Alliance president Matt Ployhar who has confirmed that two of the organization's founding members, Microsoft and Nvidia, have indeed left the non-profit organization. Ployhar would not comment on why the two companies have left the PCGA, saying that he would prefer both Microsoft and Nvidia to communication their reasons directly to us.

- Source (read the full article) Bigdownload (http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/02/18/update-on-pc-gaming-alliance-and-departures-of-microsoft-and-nvi/) via Gameindustry.biz

Then again what has the PCGA done for PC gaming? What we need is an end user organization that has a bit more bite then the PCGA

Yes to be honest I don't know what a non-profit organization founded by corporations could really do for the end user. What we need is an end user organization that makes collective decisions on where to lead the platform. That means collectively buying/supporting titles they like and actively boycotting/avoiding titles they don't. With a million or more people involved, the group would have the ability to shift the industry in any way it sees fit.

This would mean no more buying every COD **** that gets pumped out, no more buying games that are betas at launch and directly ported from console dev kits, and more buying of independent games from studios that listen to consumers and actively update their products.

Imagine, it's easy if you try. :p

Sean_W
02-21-11, 08:40 AM
The XBox360 was the worst thing to happen to PC gaming.

FastRedPonyCar
02-21-11, 01:24 PM
The XBox360 was the worst thing to happen to PC gaming.

I think the first xbox (and more specifically Halo) was the worst thing to happen because that game marked the beginning for console shooters with their dumbed down aiming physics, slower game play, etc.

It's all halo's fault! LOL

Viral
02-21-11, 06:20 PM
This would mean no more buying every COD **** that gets pumped out, no more buying games that are betas at launch and directly ported from console dev kits, and more buying of independent games from studios that listen to consumers and actively update their products.

That wont work. The devs will just point to the poor sales and say "that's why we aren't bothering with PC in the future". I really doubt they'd recognize that they did a poor job making/porting the game, that never happens.

frenchy2k1
02-22-11, 12:52 PM
That wont work. The devs will just point to the poor sales and say "that's why we aren't bothering with PC in the future". I really doubt they'd recognize that they did a poor job making/porting the game, that never happens.

Not from the big guys, that have a PR department to shift the blame and needs bazillion of money to recoup their crappy games, but provided you have both the biggest (Blizzard with WOW and Starcraft2 for example) and plenty of small independents making a living on PC, it's unlikely the platform will go anywhere. There is no barrier of entry and anything can be done on it. Proofs are a-plenty, from big name games like Starcraft2 selling millions to small devs making niche games like Dwarf Fortress living off donations or Minecraft selling millions.

People love to clamor the PC is dying, but i'm still to see it...

ViN86
02-23-11, 11:09 AM

I know. Sadly, you're right. Or they would blame piracy, like they always do.

You know, because if they make a game and it doesn't sell well, it must be because people pirate it because the game is so ****ing awesome. :retard:

I swear these companies are so ****ing dumb.