PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my MBP Hard Drive

six_storm
02-21-11, 11:01 AM
Got some extra cash to spend lately, decided to get a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB HDD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NSBF32/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Should be here on Wednesday. I'm going to clone my current hard drive over to it and let it ride, hopefully there won't be any issues. I've had pretty good luck with cloning hard drives so I'm not worried about it. Time Machine ftw.

(nana2)(nana2)(nana2)

ViN86
02-21-11, 11:11 AM
Those drives are interesting. Once they fix the issues I will definitely look into one.

zoomy942
02-21-11, 11:34 AM
I absolutely love mine in my mac. SD24 fixed lots of problems. you will love it.

darkrider01
02-21-11, 11:34 AM
I've been using one as my OS drive on my main PC for a few months now. I have not had any issues with it. It's a pretty snappy drive and scored a WEI equal to my previous Raptors.

nekrosoft13
02-21-11, 12:05 PM
stopped buying seagate drives a while ago, still have few that work, but will be replacing them with samsung or hitachi in near future.

six_storm
02-21-11, 02:29 PM
That's probably a bad idea with the current Firmware, especially for Mac users:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/20/momentus-xt-hybrid-drive-causing-headaches-seagate-working-to-f/

I've been reading about that all day, half of the reviews saying it's awesome and the other half have the chirping and no spin down issues, but I don't regret my purchase. We will have to see how it acts when I get it in the MBP. Seagate seems to be staying active in their forums and they are actually working on a fix, not just saying screw you to the customers.

Again, we will just have to see.

I debated between this and a RAM upgrade (to 8GB) but that will happen in a few months.

I'm going to use Super Duper to clone my current drive just to make sure. Don't want to have to start from scratch if I don't have to, ya know?

six_storm
02-22-11, 10:17 AM
Drive should be here today. I've decided to do a fresh install instead of a clone. Ill post when I get done and let you guys know how it is.

six_storm
02-22-11, 05:33 PM
Just got the hard drive in, got it installed and just started my restore from my Time Machine backups. I totally didn't know I could just restore my system from my last backup, so if everything is there and works, I'll be freakin stoked. Only 1.5 hours to go and we'll see how it does.

On the hard drive, it came with SD23 firmware. No noises and really nothing different than the old 5400RPM drive so far. I'm excited to see how this restore works out though. :D

Albo
02-22-11, 07:10 PM
So how'd it go?

six_storm
02-22-11, 07:19 PM
Looks like the Time Machine restore failed. It rebooted and went to the grey Apple screen, but stayed there for 10 minutes . . . and stayed some more. Just started a fresh installation. Oh well, once the OS starts up for the first time, I can restore my docs, pics, etc from my backups. Just would've been cool to have worked the easy way eh? ;)

six_storm
02-22-11, 07:50 PM
I've got about 45 more minutes until all of my documents, pictures, etc are restored from my Time Machine backups. If only USB 2 were faster . . .

six_storm
02-22-11, 09:07 PM
Restore from Time Machine is complete and everything is exactly like it was. About to try some apps out, my Win7 VM, etc. I'll report later.

zoomy942
02-23-11, 07:41 AM
Upgrade the firmware to sd24.

six_storm
02-23-11, 10:27 AM
Upgrade the firmware to sd24.

I may do that this weekend. Got a lot of work to do after hours tonight. :(

six_storm
02-24-11, 10:07 AM
After having my new hard drive installed for 1.5 days and using it for working 10.5 hours yesterday ;) I have found no issues with the hard drive. This includes running a constant Windows VM for my work apps, doing personal web surfing and apps, plus playing constantly music, all while being completely wireless. I got 6 hours on one charge so really no loss in battery life.

I've noticed that the shutdown, restart and bootup times are noticeably faster. Apps don't start that much faster but I'm still giving the HDD time to learn my favorite apps. I have noticed that my dashboard widgets update and run a lot faster. Props for that.

I think I may wait to upgrade the firmware for a few more days, things are going extremely well with the hard drive so far.

six_storm
02-28-11, 07:01 AM
I didn't get time to do anything this weekend hardly, much less upgrade the firmware. If I have the time tonight, I'll run a TM backup and upgrade the firmware.

One thing I will say is that I shut down my MBP for the first time in a while last night and then booted it up this morning. Not only was the boot up time cut in half but I noticed how my apps like Chrome, Mail, iCal, etc, were just popping up at lighting speeds. Jaw went to the floor, no doubt. Can't wait to pop 8GB of RAM in this bad boy next month!

zoomy942
02-28-11, 07:11 AM
Set parallels to pause?

six_storm
02-28-11, 09:18 AM
Set parallels to pause?

I only have Parallels running when I'm actually using Windows apps. Otherwise, it's completely turned off/shut down.

zoomy942
02-28-11, 03:03 PM
So you always power it up and power it off?

six_storm
02-28-11, 03:27 PM
So you always power it up and power it off?

My VMs? Yes. I probably could just pause/resume them, but I don't use them unless I'm working from home.