PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bearclaw
03-02-11, 01:35 PM
A lot of people are asking about tablets, etc. We have a few threads on other ones that just debuted so I made this one as well. It's being previewed now with a release date of March 11.

http://live.gizmodo.com/

Main points thus far:
Dual-core A5 processor, which is "up to two times faster".
Same low power consumption as the A4.
The graphics have been improved too. Exact GPU unknown right now. Apple is claiming "nine times faster".
Built-in cameras for photos and video: One for frontal FaceTime videoconferencing and one on the back.
It also has a built-in gyroscope, like the iPhone.
New cases put it to sleep, wake it up, etc.
HDMI out with accessory cable. Supports 1080p.
Ships with iOS 4.3.

Same price at $499.

six_storm
03-02-11, 01:44 PM
iPad2 looks pretty good so far. And it's still $500! If only the Xoom was $500 . . .

Revs
03-02-11, 01:54 PM
Still won't do Flash?

Bearclaw
03-02-11, 01:55 PM
Still won't do Flash?

Correct, no flash.

I'm glad. I can't stand flash. Any important website offers a non-flash version anyway.

|MaguS|
03-02-11, 01:55 PM
Anyone wana buy an iPad?

ViN86
03-02-11, 01:57 PM
Correct, no flash.

I'm glad. I can't stand flash. Any important website offers a non-flash version anyway.

:confused:

So? It's still the dominant media format on the Internet. They should at least support it.

Bearclaw
03-02-11, 02:00 PM
:confused:

So? It's still the dominant media format on the Internet. They should at least support it.

No denying that but I can't stand it. Like I said, any professional website that I need to access has a second flash-less/mobile version.

And, c'mon vin -Since when has Apple sided with mainstream? :lol: They used crappy firewire for all those years.

ViN86
03-02-11, 02:02 PM
No denying that but I can't stand it. Like I said, any professional website that I need to access has a second flash-less/mobile version.

And, c'mon vin -Since when has Apple sided with mainstream? :lol: They used crappy firewire for all those years.

Never because they're so much "smarter" :lol:

It's amazing they still compete with Android, though, considering Android has so much more freedom and support.

iPad 2 looks pretty nice, though. And the price is pretty nice for the hardware. Not a bad job by Apple. Now if they could only fix that gimped iOS.

Revs
03-02-11, 02:03 PM
Correct, no flash.

BBC News still uses Flash. Several other sites I use do too. It's the only reason I've move away from Apple products cos I like them otherwise. The iPad 2 looks great value. I've had a go with my mates iPad and it's nice to use.

Bearclaw
03-02-11, 02:05 PM
Never because they're so much "smarter" :lol:

It's amazing they still compete with Android, though, considering Android has so much more freedom and support.

iPad 2 looks pretty nice, though. And the price is pretty nice for the hardware. Not a bad job by Apple. Now if they could only fix that gimped iOS.

:lol:

I think the biggest issue is a two-fold issue.

1 - "Apple hype machine" How many other companies can create the hype Apple can? Not a lot.

2 - People who get the iPad (Like my dad for example) just want it to work. They could care less about freedom, etc. That's why they do it.

Also - I'm not touting Apple iPad as being all-awesome. It has huge flaws, certainly. But again, for common people who don't know what technology is, they see this and go for it, I think.

Airbrushkid
03-02-11, 02:06 PM
As of yet no flash on Xoom either.

Still won't do Flash?

six_storm
03-02-11, 02:12 PM
:lol:

I think the biggest issue is a two-fold issue.

1 - "Apple hype machine" How many other companies can create the hype Apple can? Not a lot.

2 - People who get the iPad (Like my dad for example) just want it to work. They could care less about freedom, etc. That's why they do it.

Also - I'm not touting Apple iPad as being all-awesome. It has huge flaws, certainly. But again, for common people who don't know what technology is, they see this and go for it, I think.

I agree. Most people who buys anything tech just wants it to work and Apple does a very good job of this right out of the box.

The iPad2 does look really sweet but I have no use for one TBH. Maybe my wife will want to buy one after she gets her MBP.

Maverick123w
03-02-11, 02:12 PM
I was one of the people who originally thought that the iPad was a joke, but after visiting my mom and using hers... it's an incredible device. I prefer it in ever conceivable way to sitting in my living room on a laptop.

This new one looks like it has some serious power. Kudos Apple, I just wish it did flash :/

mojoman0
03-02-11, 02:13 PM
I like the better integration with apple tv. It seems you can stream any app to your tv now as well as web page video and audio etc

six_storm
03-02-11, 02:32 PM
I like the better integration with apple tv. It seems you can stream any app to your tv now as well as web page video and audio etc

Agreed. My wife will love that she can plug her iPad into a projector.

Yaboze
03-02-11, 02:42 PM
I really want to get one now...it's pretty sweet. March 11th!

DiscipleDOC
03-02-11, 02:45 PM
This image always gets a :rofl from me:

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/04/15/no-flash.jpg

Moo
03-02-11, 02:49 PM
I thought you could always jailbreak the iPad to run flash (frash), if it's that important to you...

six_storm
03-02-11, 02:51 PM
I thought you could always jailbreak the iPad to run flash, if it's that important to you...

That or you could get the Skyfire browser and run Flash on it.

Something I just realized. I use the crap out of FlashBlock on Chrome. Nothing I do on the net really requires Flash. Interesting. ;)

Runningman
03-02-11, 03:01 PM
Outside of it being smaller and a dual core processor, whats the big deal with the ipad2 over Ipad 1. To me this is a none event. I was waiting to see what the Ipad2 had inside, now I'm either going with the Ipad1 or the xoom...to me the Ipad 2 doesnt do it for me...

DiscipleDOC
03-02-11, 03:11 PM
Outside of it being smaller and a dual core processor, whats the big deal with the ipad2 over Ipad 1. To me this is a none event. I was waiting to see what the Ipad2 had inside, now I'm either going with the Ipad1 or the xoom...to me the Ipad 2 doesnt do it for me...

If it's the same price as the iPad 1, I would get this, if I was sold on buying another apple product. To me, it's between the iPad 2 and the Xoom (or some other android tablet).

Runningman
03-02-11, 03:14 PM
If it's the same price as the iPad 1, I would get this, if I was sold on buying another apple product. To me, it's between the iPad 2 and the Xoom (or some other android tablet).

They just lowered the prices of the Ipad1, I forget the markdown but I know they did it..

six_storm
03-02-11, 03:39 PM
They just lowered the prices of the Ipad1, I forget the markdown but I know they did it..

It's just $100. Still, iPad1 at $400? Steal.

mojoman0
03-02-11, 03:39 PM

2 cameras for facetime/skype, hdmi out, gyroscope, white option, new cover, speed speed speed

ipad vs ipad 2
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-original-ipad-whats-changed/

ipad 2 vs competition
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/

|MaguS|
03-02-11, 04:15 PM
2 cameras for facetime/skype, hdmi out, gyroscope, white option, new cover, speed speed speed

ipad vs ipad 2
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-original-ipad-whats-changed/

ipad 2 vs competition
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/

HDMI is kinda misleading since its not native, you need to buy a dongle for it. They could have done that with the original...