PDA

View Full Version : nvatabus.sys blue screen

MagicAnt
03-07-11, 12:51 AM
I have an older system and would once in a while get a blus screen with nvatabus.sys error. Lately it seems to happen more frequently. I've tried running a chkdsk, scanning for viruses, etc. but it still happens.

I read somewhere that I should uninstall the nvidia IDE drivers, reboot, and let windows install standard IDE drivers. Does this sound like a good idea? And if I do this, is there any chance of my system not booting or something going wrong with my hard drives (not being detected, etc)? My main drive is two drives in RAID 0. Will this be affected if I do this? Below are my specs.

Also, when I go to nvidia driver in ADD/REMOVE programs, I only see these 3 items:
- nvidia display driver
- nvidia ethernet driver components
- nvidia nforce PCI System Mangement driver

Are the nvidia IDE drivers not listed here? Or is my nvatabus.sys error due to something else?

Thank you.

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM
Memory: 4 GIG Corsair TwinX PC3500 DDR-SDRAM
1st Optical Drive: LiteOn 16-48 DVD / CD Reader
2nd Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer 16X DVD±RW
1st Hard Drive: Dual 74 GiG Raptors SATA 10000 RPM (Raid 0)
2nd Hard Drive: Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB Barracuda
3rd Hard Drive: Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB Barracuda
Video: Dual nVidia Geforce 7800 GTX (SLi X 2)
Soud: Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro w/ external drive

AthlonXP1800
03-07-11, 04:05 AM
nvidia IDE driver did not showed on uninstall list. Make sure you updated all the latest drivers, latest nvatabus.sys version is 5.10.2600.666. If you have the same version then you can roll back nvidia IDE driver back to Microsoft IDE driver.

MagicAnt
03-07-11, 07:22 PM
I checked device manager and found Nvidia Network Bus Enumerator. Is this the nvatabus.sys? If so, where do I download an updated driver? And if I update this driver I assume it will not mess with my raid settings or anything? Can I update it from windows?

Thank you.

AthlonXP1800
03-08-11, 12:33 AM
Nvatabus.sys is IDE Performance Driver, it nothing to do with network. Update drivers will not mess up RAID settings. Nvatabus.sys can be found under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager, you can manually update nvatabus.sys IDE driver in Device Manager from the latest Windows XP nForce 4 driver 6.86 download below.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

MagicAnt
03-08-11, 10:33 PM
Thank you very much. I will give it a try.

MagicAnt
03-20-11, 07:35 PM
I tried the drivers mentioned below. It installed fine but shortly after I still got a blue screen. So I went to nvidia website and had it autmotically detect what drive I needed. It should the latest version (15. something, I forget). When installing it said it had to uninstall my old ehternet driver first, so I hit ok. Now when I restart I constantly get a blue screen after the windows logo. I had set a restore point previously, but when I try booting to last known good configuration, I still get the blue screen.

I tried going into safemode but it freezes at the logon screen of safe mode. Keyboard and mouse don't work so I can't log into safe mode.

Blue screen error is BAD_POOL_CALLER. Stop error 0x000000C2.

I tried booting from windows CD to do a windows repair, but it doesn't give me the option.

Any ideas other than me having to reinstall everything???

---------------------

UPDATE:

Well after doing research I wound up using the Ultimate Boot CD to restore my computer from my latest restore point and now all is back to normal.

But I still seem to get nvatabus blue screens, particularly when installing new software. The nvidia website shows that the latest version I should install is 15.23 but that is what screwed my system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

AthlonXP1800
03-20-11, 10:38 PM
Did you tried Microsoft IDE driver through device manager?

MagicAnt
03-20-11, 11:34 PM
No. How can I do that. Just uninstall the nforce driver and reboot?

When I go to device manager and look under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers there are 4 things listed:

nVidia nforce4 serial ata controller
Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Do I uninstall nvidia nforce4 driver and reboot? Will that replace the nforce driver with standard microsoft driver? And I assume uninstalling it will not cause any problems with windows booting?

Or do I uninstall one of the others?

Thank you.

AthlonXP1800
03-21-11, 04:54 PM
No. How can I do that. Just uninstall the nforce driver and reboot?

When I go to device manager and look under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers there are 4 things listed:

nVidia nforce4 serial ata controller
Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Do I uninstall nvidia nforce4 driver and reboot? Will that replace the nforce driver with standard microsoft driver? And I assume uninstalling it will not cause any problems with windows booting?

Or do I uninstall one of the others?

Thank you.

Either try uninstall the nforce4 driver and reboot or update all 4 devices through device manager. Here how you can update through device manager:

Double click on nVidia nforce4 serial ata controller and go to driver tab, click on update driver, click on browse my computer for driver software then click let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. If nothing shown on list then untick "show compatible hardware" and scroll down to Microsoft or Standard to pick driver and update it. Do the same with other 3 devices.

MagicAnt
03-22-11, 11:11 PM
Well I did what you said and used standard drivers for all those entries but I'm still getting blue screens that say IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL and nvatabus.sys. It happened once just while the computer was sitting idle. Then happened again when I tried to install a definition update for windows defender.

I just tried installing windows defender definition updates 3 times in a row and got the same blue screen (as above with stop error 0x000000D1) 3 times in a row. It now will not let me install the definition updates.

I did notice that in device manager under SCSI and RAID controllers I have
nVidia nforce Raid Class Controller
nVidia nforce4 Serial ATA Raid controller

but didn't see any option to revert these to a Standard drvier.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

AthlonXP1800
03-23-11, 03:34 AM
Hmmm oh well you stuck with nforce driver for now as Microsoft never made a standard RAID driver. Maybe one or more of your 4 hard drives have problems that may caused IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL and nvatabus.sys errors. It probably a signal that any of 4 hard drives is about to fail soon. Try download HD Tune 2.55 to check the health of all 4 hard drives.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

If all 4 hard drives health are all OK then try disabled RAID in BIOS and see if the errors gone away.

MagicAnt
03-27-11, 02:51 PM
Well I ran a chkdsk on all drives. One drive took really long (more than a day), longer than it ever took. Near the end it seemed to freeze. So I stopped it and ran it again. Then it completed successfully.

After that, I had the computer on for 2 days, setting several restore points, doing updates, etc. and got not blue screen.

Just last night, while sitting idle, the nvatabus blue screen happened. I restarted a ran another chkdsk on the one drive that took long. This time it went fast and completed successfully.

Not the computer seems stable again but haven't had it on for long.

So unless coincidence, perhaps the one drive is starting to fail. I'm going to try HD tune and see what that shows. Hopefully the problem is that one of my data drives is starting to fail and I just need to replace it. Otherwise I have to do more troubleshooting.

As far as your comment of disabling raid in the bios, I believe if I do that I will not be able to boot as my operating system is on the raid 0 drives.