PDA

View Full Version : Kids first computer

Pages : [1] 2

candle_86
03-08-11, 08:02 PM
So my 5yr old wants a computer, and with how dependant kids are in school on computers today, I figured why not. I traded that 17in LCD that hurt my eyes to look at for an older HP.

Celeron 1.1 Tutalin 256
256mb PC133
40gb Hard Drive
Intel i815e IGP (LOL)
Windows XP Home
CD-RW

Tossing in a PS/2 Keyboard, PS/2 Optical mouse, USB powered Speakers and a 14in CRT that does 10x7, how does this look for a kids first computer, just for basic things like math blasters, where in the world is carmen sandieago, and Oragon Trail 4th edition, as well as planning to install Office 2000 on it.

Good for a first PC?

six_storm
03-08-11, 08:33 PM
Sounds like Ubuntu would do the job here. ;)

bob saget
03-08-11, 08:39 PM
isn't 5 a little young? the monitor is not hard on his/her eyes?

Bearclaw
03-08-11, 08:51 PM
Ya, 5? WAY too early, IMO.

Roadhog
03-08-11, 08:58 PM
Agreed... I would only let them on for 30 mins tops to prevent eyestrain...

Logical
03-08-11, 09:36 PM
My 8 year old kicks my ass at CoD4 and even has a facebook account, setup with privacy settings by myself of course. He got lucky and he is the owner of my old computer...E6700 dual core, 4gb ram and GTX260 GPU.

I tend to limit his usage to an hour after homework...

candle_86
03-08-11, 09:45 PM
it will be in my room not hers, and at most 1 hour a day, and as for age no not really, kindergartners in this school district spend an hour a day in the computer lab playing education games learning how to use one.

bob saget
03-08-11, 10:39 PM
it will be in my room not hers, and at most 1 hour a day, and as for age no not really, kindergartners in this school district spend an hour a day in the computer lab playing education games learning how to use one.

really? kindergartners? wow. i think grade 2 was the first year my bro got to use one...maybe 3.

Rakeesh
03-08-11, 11:10 PM

Looking at a monitor can't do any more damage than reading a book.

bob saget
03-08-11, 11:40 PM
Looking at a monitor can't do any more damage than reading a book.

ok. thats why some people's eyes hurt and/or are red and puffy looking after looking at monitor, where as books have close to zero effect.

Madpistol
03-09-11, 08:47 AM
ok. thats why some people's eyes hurt and/or are red and puffy looking after looking at monitor, where as books have close to zero effect.

I get headaches if i try and read a book for more than an hour. I can look at a computer monitor for hours at a time and be fine.

Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Yaboze
03-09-11, 09:25 AM
My son has been using a PC (not heavy use) since he was 4. He goes to the NickJr website and plays the flash games on there. We also have some CDROM games for kids.

He needs help when using it sometimes, but he does OK. He doesn't stay on long, after a while he's just done and asks me to turn it off.

ragejg
03-09-11, 09:52 AM
Edubuntu!

Bman212121
03-09-11, 12:29 PM
Edubuntu!

Educating kids about the magical penguin while shielding them from the evilz of teh world....

I recall using computers in probably first grade which was already 20 years ago. Honestly I bet a lot of kids start learning about them even sooner. It wouldn't surprise me that by 3rd or 4th grade that kids would be typing up their papers on them, so getting a head start is always a good thing.

ViN86
03-09-11, 12:46 PM

I don't think so. I used to be on my dad's computer all the time when I was 5, trying to guess the answer to the questions so I could play Leisure Suit Larry. :lol:

I got in about 1/20 times. Not a bad success rate for guessing the answer to 3 questions in a row. Probability says I should have only gotten in 1/64 times.

waterproof mp3
03-09-11, 02:49 PM
My son has been using a PC (not heavy use) since he was 4. He goes to the NickJr website and plays the flash games on there. We also have some CDROM games for kids.

He needs help when using it sometimes, but he does OK. He doesn't stay on long, after a while he's just done and asks me to turn it off.

My nephew is 5 years old now and we allow him to get familiar with computer. We also let him surf NickJr but nothing else. Computer is the way of the future for the next generation.

candle_86
03-09-11, 03:11 PM
yep it is, she wont start off with the internet, but over time she will, I wnat to get her used to using a computer first

candle_86
03-09-11, 03:12 PM
spec wise though, do you see any problems for basic useage for a kid?

Bman212121
03-09-11, 04:25 PM
Needs more ram for XP, but it will suffice. To make it not so slow it really can use 512MB - 1GB. IMO 1GB is the sweet spot for XP.

ViN86
03-09-11, 05:26 PM
yep it is, she wont start off with the internet, but over time she will, I wnat to get her used to using a computer first

Yea I had a computer when I was 8 (1994) but didn't get internet access until I was 14. There's really no reason for kids to have internet access until they're in high school. Moderated middle school usage for school work. That's about it imo.

candle_86
03-09-11, 05:43 PM
Needs more ram for XP, but it will suffice. To make it not so slow it really can use 512MB - 1GB. IMO 1GB is the sweet spot for XP.

max support is 512mb PC100

Yaboze
03-09-11, 06:19 PM
Yeah, ram seems a bit low.

We have a P4 2.0ghz, old ATI 9800 AGP thrown in there, 512MB of ram.

It's still sluggish sometimes on the heavy flash pages.

Rakeesh
03-09-11, 06:47 PM

I've got a few sources to show you that looking at a computer monitor does no long term damage to your eyesight under any circumstances:

http://www.eyehelp.co.uk/VDUsAndYourEyesight.html
http://www.eyesandeyesight.com/2009/07/your-computer-monitor-and-your-eyesight/
http://www.pasadenaeye.com/faq/faq08/faq08_text.html

The worst that can happen to you is called Computer Vision Syndrome, where your eyes may get tired and strained, but again, no long term damage. The same thing can happen to you if you read books for a long time, though if you read a book under sunlight, or a well lit indoor lighting, you won't notice any ill effects as these sources of light are easier for your brain to process than the light from say a computer monitor.

An LCD monitor is even better since it is a solid state display (you aren't looking at a cathode ray re-drawing the screen 60 times per second.) Further, the darker the room, the easier it is to see the monitor, so the less eyestrain.

Bman212121
03-09-11, 07:48 PM
max support is 512mb PC100

it might support more, but when the pc came out there weren't 512MB dimms yet. I can probably run 2 x 512MB DIMMS if you had them. Just finding a couple of 256MB modules to swap out the 128MB that are in it would help IMO. Either way it should work for a kid, but it might take a little longer to do things.

bob saget
03-09-11, 09:20 PM