PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the driver - works best with Server 2003.

Capt. Picard
03-09-11, 01:05 AM
I plugged in an old 6600GT on a computer at work which runs Server 2003 32bit. I looked on NVIDIA's site and all they have is the driver for Server 2003 64bit.

Can't I just use a normal XP driver on Server?

Capt. Picard
03-09-11, 01:50 PM
More than half a day without one freaking post in this whole section ...

... and I thought it was just me ...

Q
03-09-11, 02:41 PM
QQ, Picard.

The XP 32 driver should work on Server 03. As long as it's not a production server, which I'm guessing it isn't since you're installing a video card in it, why not give it a go and find out? You're also going to need to enable a handful of services to get DX to work. Even then, you'll have issues running games.

But its a server, so why are you doing that?

What server is it? It isn't rackmount, is it? I don't think they're designed to dissipate that type of heat by default.

Capt. Picard
03-09-11, 04:20 PM
QQ, Picard.

The XP 32 driver should work on Server 03. As long as it's not a production server, which I'm guessing it isn't since you're installing a video card in it, why not give it a go and find out? You're also going to need to enable a handful of services to get DX to work. Even then, you'll have issues running games.

But its a server, so why are you doing that?

What server is it? It isn't rackmount, is it? I don't think they're designed to dissipate that type of heat by default.

Nah, it's just a normal PC with server 2003 running on it.

It's not that big a deal. If a game doesn't work ... so be it then.

I just installed this card because I have it laying around and it's better than the integrated chip.

nekrosoft13
03-09-11, 05:55 PM
XP and Server 2003, Server 2003 R2 use the same driver model. XP drivers will work fine.

At least nvidia drivers will. ATI recently added "OS detection" to the installer that that on purpose break server 2008, server 2008 R2 support with vista/7 drivers.

In ATI case it can be proven that new installer is gimped on purpose. Take older installer, replace older driver files/control panel with new driver files/control panel and older installer will install it fine.

While the new installer will not install driver and control panel correctly.

ATI reason behind breaking the support is not clear, they probably want you to buy their FireGL cards instead of Radeon.