PDA

View Full Version : windows wont boot but can get into safemode

tornadog
03-10-11, 12:51 PM
What can I do to repair windows? It all happened after I installed the catalyst 11.4 preview drivers. I tried system restore, but no go.

nekrosoft13
03-10-11, 01:36 PM
have you tried uninstalling drivers from safe mode? try the uninstaller and manually removing them from device manager.

also in safe mode start msconfig, go into services and hide all microsoft services, disable everything that is not by microsoft. under start up disable every entry.

if it boots, then there is something wrong with either running service, ati driver or startup program

then slowly start enabling things back on, if it stops booting again, go back and see what caused it.

then switch to nvidia, less driver issues ;)

Roadhog
03-10-11, 02:08 PM
Try doing a startup repair.

Next time don't install beta/preview drivers if you aren't prepared to deal with things like that.

tornadog
03-10-11, 04:00 PM
OK progress, I disabled "restart on failure" and now get to a BSOD with message SYSTEm_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by atikmdag.sys. I cant run the uninstaller in safemode. it says windows installer service is not running. I will try to remove the device from device manager and see if that helps.

Coming from Nvidia, where I am used to installing any and every beta driver, that comes out. I didnt realize ATI's preview drivers are highly experimental!!!!

nekrosoft13
03-10-11, 04:16 PM
ati "WHQL" drivers half of the time have issues as well.

Anyway, since it said "SYSTEm_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" I would check and make sure all non-microsoft services are disabled for troubleshooting.

Roadhog
03-10-11, 04:24 PM
OK progress, I disabled "restart on failure" and now get to a BSOD with message SYSTEm_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by atikmdag.sys. I cant run the uninstaller in safemode. it says windows installer service is not running. I will try to remove the device from device manager and see if that helps.

Coming from Nvidia, where I am used to installing any and every beta driver, that comes out. I didnt realize ATI's preview drivers are highly experimental!!!!

Did you follow the directions?
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftW indows7.aspx

tornadog
03-10-11, 04:41 PM
Did you follow the directions?
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftW indows7.aspx

isnt that what everybody does anyway? Anyway yes I followed those to a T

Roadhog
03-10-11, 04:46 PM
isnt that what everybody does anyway? Anyway yes I followed those to a T

Most people just install over the old ones. I usually do myself. lol

Try booting in the low resolution mode, 640x480.

tornadog
03-10-11, 05:37 PM

Try booting in the low resolution mode, 640x480.

I tried that already, it wont boot, same error.

Roadhog
03-10-11, 06:36 PM
I tried that already, it wont boot, same error.

It seems like youve tried everything... I'm about to say run driver sweeper and totally wipe anything ati driver related.

tornadog
03-11-11, 12:38 AM
yay fixed it, man!!! removed device in safemode, ran drive sweeper, auto repair and it booted with vga, installed 11.2 and its jammingnow :)

nekrosoft13
03-11-11, 08:16 AM

I always do that, works great. now that nvidia has "clean install" option its even better.

from time to time i go into C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and clean out old drivers manual

if you don't know what you doing, don't mess in that folder.

frenchy2k1
03-11-11, 12:49 PM
With NV's latest installer, clean install option is rarely even needed.
I have a test bench that has seen more NV card in the past 3 months that most will ever see, installed some 6 different drivers releases and never had to do a clean install.
Worse I had were incompatibilities between cards and drivers (switching between consummer and pro cards. Some may be recognized with the other driver, but some side effects can occur), but nothing a simple driver reinstall and a reboot would not fix.

nekrosoft13
03-11-11, 01:13 PM
Nvidia driver installer is great, so fast, easy, compared to the slow, trouble causing, OS blocking (server 2003/2008) junk that ATI wrote.