PDA

View Full Version : The Secret World

Pages : [1] 2

JohnDio
03-10-11, 05:30 PM
The Secret World GDC2011 Trailer (http://www.dasreviews.com/das-game-news/the-secret-world-gdc2011-trailer/)

Funcom is excited to unveil a brand new trailer video as well as a new website for the upcoming, modern-day massively multiplayer online game ‘The Secret World’. The new video offers gamers a unique glimpse into the world, the monsters, the myths, and the gameplay of the much anticipated online game. In ‘The Secret World’ players get to play the character they want to play without being limited to classes or levels, as they adventure through modern-day, real-world locations.

“It is truly exciting for us to show gamers just how much freedom they will be able to enjoy in ‘The Secret World’,” says Director and Producer Ragnar Tørnquist. “The video perfectly encompasses the four important pillars of ‘The Secret World’: the modern-day setting, the freeform character progression, the dramatic storyline, and the unique secret society conflict. It feels great to reveal new details on the ‘The Secret World’ as we continue to make strides in the development of the game.”

‘The Secret World’ is Funcom’s third massively multiplayer game, having previously developed the award-winning ‘Anarchy Online’ and the best selling new MMO of 2008 ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’. No release date has been announced. Enjoy the trailer!

XMnJD7Dt1GY&tracker=False

|MaguS|
03-10-11, 05:34 PM
Man this game has been long in the making... it looks interesting. I like the hole modern day thing going with it.

MUYA
03-10-11, 08:52 PM
This game's graphic engine is now powering Age Of Conan as of the patch on Tuesday.

I am intrigued by Secret World as I know an alpha tester who can't stop raving about Secret World (and this person is a MMo junkie, anything from Eve, AoC, WoW, Vanguard...he's played 'e). But by the way Funcom keeps making Age of Conan a mess, I have trepidations.

emailthatguy
04-03-11, 04:58 PM
ragnar tornquist being in charge of this game only gives me good reason to believe TSW will be awesome. That guy's never hit it out of the park on anything hes done. Story and lore for anarchy online was all him. the longest journey, dreamfall.

at this point hes completely earned the benefit of the doubt. so given that, im looking forward to another awesome game project led by ragnar.

funcom has been in the midst of their biggest company expansion as well. moved from norway to canada, lots of hiring, new infrastructure and investment. exciting times for those guys i bet. i remember when ao launched, funcom was basically run out of a 2 story house at the time. they've come a long way. getting rid of godager really helped im sure.

Mr. Hunt
04-03-11, 05:32 PM
Looks interesting, but I hate the whole "no character level thing"... generally that is one thing making me play an MMO :\. Only game I didn't care about levels was Guild Wars.

MUYA
10-05-11, 11:35 PM
I was in a closed beta..as with betas and NDA...I can't post anything specific except to say it was fun. There are lots of bugs that need sorting but, from GDC video it introduced. This is concept I found nice after training all low level tiers of skills for each different type

I might just get this game....

Yaboze
10-06-11, 10:10 AM
When is it due out? I may check it out since it seems to break the mold, unlike SWTOR (which I still like).

MUYA
10-09-11, 11:17 PM
I think they are targeting April 2012.

MUYA
10-09-11, 11:18 PM
I think they are targeting April 2012.

H3avyM3tal
06-15-12, 02:28 AM
They are gonna use some updated combat mechanics and dx11 graphics for this beta weekend. Can't wait!

Btw, is it me, or does this game gives off a vtmb vibe at times? I love it :)

Maverick123w
06-15-12, 02:39 AM
I've been accepted into so many phases of the beta for this game and never even bothered to try it. Game play looks really bad.

H3avyM3tal
06-15-12, 03:59 AM
Game play looks really bad.

You know, that is probably the one thing that is gonna break the game for some people. For me, all the other things this game has overshadow the bad things about the combat. Gameplay-wise, this game has some very innovative things.

MUYA
06-15-12, 04:17 AM
They are gonna use some updated combat mechanics and dx11 graphics for this beta weekend. Can't wait!

Btw, is it me, or does this game gives off a vtmb vibe at times? I love it :)

The modern setting and spooky premises is what attracts me to this game. Visuals are great (but some bugs need sorting)

I am in the closed beta and I am encouraged. This is definitely more than a lil different from other MMOs but in the end it is still an XP grind fest. Just the way they have done it is different, dunno if it is innovative but, some quests require you to think outside the game etc

Performance wise is the same as Age of Conan. I am told that the horizontal grind is worth at the end when you unlock the big specializations/skills.

The crafting system is also a little intriguing. You have to learn by trial and error to get the best out in terms of uniques I have been told. Nothing complicated but, you dont get receipes etc. You learn by undoing what is there and then, adding your own spices (so to speak) to the mix, and you may get a Vindaloo or a wet biscuit. Be sure to have a notepad handy to write down all you can experiment with.

H3avyM3tal
06-15-12, 07:24 AM
The grind is the only thing that annoys me, as with aoc. I joined aoc again much later, after the exp was released. That was too much of a grind to me. The only comfort I have now is that I will be playing from the start, houpfully for a long time, so I will have people to grind with.

And the little things are the ones that have the biggest impact, innovation wise (I think). The questing, the character progression, the items and the world setting and presentaion - all of these make for some uniqe moments - coming from the open beta experience.

MUYA
06-18-12, 11:34 PM
The grind is the only thing that annoys me, as with aoc. I joined aoc again much later, after the exp was released. That was too much of a grind to me. The only comfort I have now is that I will be playing from the start, houpfully for a long time, so I will have people to grind with.

And the little things are the ones that have the biggest impact, innovation wise (I think). The questing, the character progression, the items and the world setting and presentaion - all of these make for some uniqe moments - coming from the open beta experience.

TBH you have 3 character slots.... you can conceivably after 2 years of xp grinding, fully unlock all skills for all specialization! Time sink!

So its going to be grind fest but instead of alts, you have one on each faction and can specialize way u see fit! Time sink!

What I can get from AoC experience is that hopefully FC add pots for XP to this game! :p

Heavy; I have closed beta access buddy key...interested? :)

H3avyM3tal
06-19-12, 02:39 AM
I think in the long run the grind will be the same. I just shudder when I think about starting to grind for some sort of points for items (ala rotgs)... Did the polaris dungeon this open weekend, had a blast. Literally. There is going to be an ingame store from the start I think, so pots will be present from the get go I think. DC sells these starter and master packs prelaunch, and somewhere in there there are xp pots.

BTW, which weapon combinations you like most? I've only tried going elemental pistols, but I think I'm gonna switch to a full caster on launch. I did like the shotgun though...

MUYA
06-19-12, 04:45 AM
I did a variety of combat abilities over the last 4-5 months

Sword+shotgun

Auto Rifle+shotgun

Elemental+Blood

Chaos+???

I am not a theory crafter but in the end I decided in the end to go for shotgun for aoe and blood for heals for the remainder of the beta :p

ElL33t
06-25-12, 03:28 PM
I tried this beta this weekend and thought it was boring.

H3avyM3tal
06-30-12, 04:20 AM
MUYA, which server are you on, and which faction did you go for?

hirantha
07-05-12, 02:39 PM
Didn't play the Beta. Didn't care for the game. But something happened when i saw the game the day before the release (Saw it on origin). I had to give it a try so bought it on the release date.

Have you tell you I'm having a freaking good time, never thought I will like this game, Everything about this is totally new, never seen in any other MMO. For some reason game doesn't feel like an MMO for most of the time till you see other players.

Love the graphics in this game, Will post ss later today.

Sometimes feel like i'm playing the game 'Alone in the dark', but TSW is way better and polished to the max.

Maverick123w
07-05-12, 07:18 PM
I've been burned by funcom twice now. Does this game play anything like age of Conan cause that game was terribad. Also, does the combat play as bad as it looks on video.

hirantha
07-06-12, 10:29 AM
I've been burned by funcom twice now. Does this game play anything like age of Conan cause that game was terribad. Also, does the combat play as bad as it looks on video.

This is the first game I have tried from them. Its decent for a fresh release. I say wait till maybe they fix bunch of issues in the next and first patch.

What sux is no auction house in the game yet. That's a bummer for me. :(

I will be playing this only for 2 months, then gotta get rdy for GW2.

GW2 is wayyyy lot better compare to this (just from GW2 beta experience)

H3avyM3tal
07-08-12, 10:40 AM
This is the first game I have tried from them. Its decent for a fresh release. I say wait till maybe they fix bunch of issues in the next and first patch.

What sux is no auction house in the game yet. That's a bummer for me. :(

I will be playing this only for 2 months, then gotta get rdy for GW2.

GW2 is wayyyy lot better compare to this (just from GW2 beta experience)

IMO GW2 is not way better. It's better in some ways, but worse at other things. From the beta I gathered it's more of the same, and the stuff they added is kinda superficial imo. They didn't change the way you play the game, they just give you more options.

The PVP aspect has some interesting aspects though, and it looks to be epic. I did only two pvp sessions in TWS, and from those two it was fun. And it feels way better than any fantasy setting mmo I played.

MUYA
07-09-12, 03:47 AM
I am still on the fence about this game. Its fun to do quests in that its pace is slow and lets you concentrate on the overall (supernatural+its out there X Files) immersion of what the game devs are trying to across.

However, the abilities combination is the key thing hre and you must be ready to do your own theory craftng to get a decent build. There are multiple synergies all across all skills and no one cookie cutter spec for DPS/Tanking /heals or hybrid.

I still havent cracked it but, I saw a few QL3 toons (same as me) who just were blasting things in no time as opposed to taking some time with my build lol but I am still having fun.

hirantha
07-09-12, 10:30 AM
I'm having so much fun in TSW too but I still think GW2 has to offer lot more.

The Bad
Don't really like the crafting system in TSW, minecrafting like crafting system. easy but maybe too simple.

Ran polaris first instance man that thing was hard, ran as a blood healer. Heals are so small people kept dying and blood shields don't last long. So forcing me to change my build?

QL gear is the lvl system in game. Better QL you have faster the mobs die. I got a QL5 blood focus but gear still at QL3 and 4 so I take dmg when killing things (like mobs in Jacks pumpkin farm) and finding next QL stuff is not easy if you don't run instances.

Did 1 PVP and too many people not much space to run. Don't like it.

Pay for the game, $15 month and cash shop? eeeek

All these skills but only can carry 7 active and 7 passive :( as a blood heal 7 is not enough for me.

The Good

Love the story, the modern day feel. Love the graphics.

Easy to navigate quests. Love the quest system I think they did a good job with that. Quest rewards are not bad either.

Almost all of the quest can be done daily to gain them valuable APs :)

Someone once said in game this game is like a collector’s card game where you can collect all the cards but it takes time. That's very true every quest will give you AP and it’s not that hard to collect bunch of AP in few hours. Then use that to open up more skills, but you going to need lot of AP to open all 512 something. I think it’s a nice challenge.

Been playing this all weekend, and my pregnant wife is wondering why this is more important than spending time with her. :D Addiction lvl is too high. That's the only explanation.