PDA

View Full Version : New IL2 Cliffs of Dover Video

Scendore
03-18-11, 11:48 AM
Looks like it's getting close to release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcm_5L6yZIY&feature=player_embedded

Scendore
03-18-11, 12:18 PM
Yeah... It's looking pretty good. I hope their sales go well for them because it will only make them develop more content.

K007
03-19-11, 12:07 PM
man i would love for a freespace 2 style game....haven't had a good space sim on pc...since...freespace 2 i think

JohnDio
03-20-11, 08:21 PM
Looks great :D

Scendore
03-24-11, 07:11 PM
It's releasing in Russia as I type this but people are starting to post videos. Here is one for the Developer Notes.

Very cool stuff and so far it's looks really great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dizWGcoJGKw&feature=player_embedded

wysiwyg
03-25-11, 09:06 AM
graphics could look better

mojoman0
03-25-11, 01:40 PM
graphics could look better

yea Wings of Prey def has better graphics

StevePMo
03-27-11, 10:00 AM
This looks really cool. To all of you flight sim junkies out there, what type of controller do you need, just a joystick? or do you need more than that? I only have my wheel for my driving sims, but would like to get into flight sims too...

Scendore
03-28-11, 02:30 PM
yea Wings of Prey def has better graphics

Well Graphics is pretty subjective... I think off the cuff you might think you're right on this one but Wings of Prey doesn't have a damage model that supports 300 systems in a single plane. In addition it doesn't sport the higher fidelity FM and a very large map that goes from grass in England to the coast of France. Getting things to scale properly in a flight sim versus and action sim albeit a good one is not comparing apples with apples. Two different goals.

The Russian version has been released and it's fair to say it has a little more time to cook. I think a patch is already in development. The US release isn't for another few weeks so I hope it's enough time to get it ready for release. I've seen some recent high res shots and it's looking pretty fantastic and I think it will scale with time. We will see.

HiCZoK4
04-02-11, 05:01 AM
Looks like Il2-Sturmovik. My fav sim game

Scendore
04-03-11, 01:11 PM
So, how is it? :)

Well... Not so good at the moment though there is some light at the end of the tunnel. The game was released in Russia and last week in the EU. Early buyers have reported there are many bugs in the game. In addition even top end rigs are having a very hard time running the game without studders and pauses. The good news is they have released 2 new patches that have fixed problems but performance is something they are going to have to work on.

Luthier posted a roadmap that talks about what they are doing to improve performance. Given some of the testing by people it's clear the product was rushed to market. I suspect the publishers pushed for the release. The official US release is the 19th of April. This will give them some time to tighen things up and fix some of the problems. What is interesting is that some of the features of the game are being touted very highly despite the obvious issues. It looks like the game engine and features has a lot to offer but unless they get things fixed people won't pick it up.

Just following the DCS beta release of A10 we saw that thing go from pretty crummy performance to running quite well with full switch. So it's pretty clear this can happen with IL2 COD as well. After all it's a brand new engine from scratch. Let them earn their keep.

Until then the new UltraPack 2.02 is on the horizon breathing even more life into the latest official release of IL2 4.101.

Luthier's post below.

Hi everyone. Iím very sorry to see that some of you are having technical difficulties with the game. It pains me personally to see that these problems are preventing you from enjoying everything the game has to offer.

The team has been working at a frantic pace since mid-summer. I personally have been working 12+ hour days 7 days a week pretty much non-stop, with only a short breather around Christmas. Optimization has always been our top priority; for example, the game you are playing now is roughly twice as fast as the version shown at Igromir.

We are continuing to work at the same pace now, after the release Ė no weekends in sight. We are working very hard to make the game better, and we hope that even those of you who are unhappy with the state of the game are still able to see that it is worth the wait, and that you have faith in our ability to improve on your experience.

Hereís what we are working on at the moment:

1. Performance increase. Over terrain, the two things that slow things down the most are trees and buildings. We are currently in final stages of testing optimized buildings that almost double the FPS over London on a test machine.
Tree optimization is a little farther away. You will probably see changes in how trees are rendered, theyíll take longer to appear over terrain, but once again, performance increase should be significant.
If everything tests correctly over the weekend, both of these should be released by early to mid next week.

2. Enhanced multicore support. The mode that we unfortunately were not able to finish in time is sending all render to a dedicated CPU core. The mode is working but somewhat buggy. It easily doubles the FPS, and the performance boost is especially noticeable in larger missions with lots of stuff going on.
This is probably at least two to three weeks away, and we will probably do a short public beta of this major change before itís made live to everyone.

3. Multiplayer. There is something in steam filters that prevents game servers from being found. This is only happening with live retail versions of the game. This apparently isnít caused by us Ė hopefully itís just a simple oversight somewhere and the fix will be a simple flick of a switch.

4. FM and ballistics. We have already addressed the issue where rounds appeared to leave aircraft sideways. This was caused by the difference between physical and rendered position of the aircraft, i.e. the rendered position lagged behind the actual aircraft position.
Our aircraft programmer has a huge bucket list of things to check, which heís going over at a rather brisk pace.

5. Resurrecting SLI support. This is our next biggest priority; itís done by the same programmer now in final stages of optimizing buildings. We are really hoping this will be a quick task, but I donít have an ETA at this point. Itíll either be a couple of days, or a much longer undetermined amount of time if we have to submit versions to card manufacturers and ask for their input.

6. Bug fixes and support. We are reading this forum a lot and some Russian-language forums, and working very hard to address all issues as they are being reported.

7. New stuff Ė larger online maps, some new aircraft such as the 109E1 and E4 etc Ė are all in the pipeline too, but obviously we need to solve the bigger issues first and then deal with the freebies.

Thank you all for your continuing support! Just FYI, Iím constantly doing 20 things at once, so if I donít respond to your question it doesnít mean I didnít read it! Iíd love to spend more time on the forums talking to the community and answering questions, but unfortunately I just cannot do it as much as I should at the moment. Please bear with us, we do really want to make all of you very happy!

Scendore
04-07-11, 12:30 PM
Yeah... Just wait. They released a Beta patch today with some postive results but it still looks like they have a ways to go. Another week or two isn't going to hurt.

DCS A10 just released yet another patch. Of course it has a pretty heafty learning curve but nothing impossible. I'm having fun going through the manual and learning the systems. The plane is pretty easy to fly learning the avionics and weapons is a hoot.

malachi1313
04-08-11, 11:41 PM
Coolest thing about DCS A-10 is when you can finally figure out how to use the Mavericks. Good stuff...

malachi1313
04-08-11, 11:41 PM
Looks like Il2-Sturmovik. My fav sim game

Made by alot of the same folks.

Scendore
04-09-11, 12:33 PM
Latest Patch Notes that released this week. It looks like they are making quite a bit of progress.

This is from Luthier in the 1C forums.

Thank you for purchasing Cliffs of Dover! If you have previously purchased our sims, you
should know that they are a constant work in progress. We as a team are proud of the fact
that we continuously support, expand and improve on our releases. We hope, with your
support, to continue this tradition and to help the series grow in the coming years.

The current patch contains the following changes:

DRM
* Solidshield protection was removed from the game. The game no longer requires a
second authentication key. Cliffs of Dover only needs to be authenticated once with a
single key during first install. NOTE: this action is automatic and does not require any
action from the player.

GRAPHICS
* Significantly optimized buildings. Performance gain is less noticeable on above-
recommended specs;
* Removed momentary freezes caused by trees and other vegetation; also changed the
way far-away trees are generated;
* Improved block loading, i.e. the periodic loading of 8x8km terrain blocks as the
player moves about the terrain. Performance gain is most noticeable on
above-recommended specs;
* Expanded the resolution selection in Video Options to include non-native options;
* Streamlined ****pit render. Also made sure that stars and other bright objects no
longer shine through the ****pit at night.

AIRCRAFT
* Removed ďrubber bandsĒ from player aircraft that made its movement smoother by
delaying graphical representation of the plane behind its physical position,
with the rare unintended consequence of making tracers appear to fly out sideways;
* Reworked aircraft visual fx and added some new ones, such as new MG131 hit FX;
* Improved performance in FM module by 0,001%;
* Turned on ****pit gauges in the FIAT G.50;
* Fixed fps drop when zooming in on a bomber formation;
* Added a special penalty to aircraft with large parts of wing missing. Though this
is less realistic, this will address most common misconceptions while we work on
even more accurate wing calculations specifically for this scenario;
* Fixed issue when missing control surfaces could still control aircraft;
* Fixed some damage visuals on FIAT G.50;
* Fixed FIAT G.50 visual and control animations;
* Fixed FIAT G.50 receiving too much lift despite wing damage;
* Fixed FIAT BR.20 radiator flaps disappearing in rare cases;
* Fixed Blenheim propellers and turret visuals;
* Fixed some He 115 visuals;
* When a He 115 loses a float, the physical behaviour model will no longer lose a
marble;
* He-115 nose gunner will no longer attempt to hang out of a detached nose section;
* Fixed a visual issue with the Hurricane radiator flap;
* Ju 87 floor window no longer affects the sea;
* Fixed minor visual details in the He-111;
* Damaged Wellingtons will no longer occasionally disappear at a distance;
* Sunderland's top turret will always behave properly when the plane is broken in
half;
* Fixed an issue when engine controls could fail to react to user input for 2
seconds after mission start with Anthropomorphic Control switched to ON;
* Fixed an issue when the Bf 109 on Anthropomorphic Control with Complex Engine
Management would also lock other controls;
* You will now see overspeed FX and damage when expected;
* Bumped up engine radiator drag to more realistic levels;
* Exposed bulkheads left after engine detachent on 2-motors will now produce
significantly more drag;
* Adjusted magnetic compass damping to match the characteristics of a Soviet A-4
compass, as many were unhappy with its present wobbling;
* Fixed minor Bf 109 damage visuals;
* Reduced Bf 109 flaps deployment time to 25 seconds.

MISC
* Redesigned multiplayer client and server GUI;
* Fixed multiplayer server search;
* Added Voice and Music volume control options in Sound Options;
* Made multiple other fixes to the sound engine;
* Cleaned out some stuff being stored in memory, putting less stress on lower-end
machines, especially running DX9;
* Changed bail-out camera sequence for the player;
* Captured AWOL location labels in Full Mission Builder and put them back to work;
* Fixed some erroneous location labels around the map;
* Made numerous changes to localization texts;

WHAT TO EXPECT FOR US IN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS:

* SLI and Crossfire support;
* Improved multicore support;
* Additional optimization;
* New multiplayer maps;
* Additional variants of existing aircraft;
* New missions and campaigns!

NOTE ABOUT AERO DESKTOP COMPOSITION:

If you are experiencing an issue with framerate in the game, disabling Aero Desktop
Composition in windows can slightly improve in-game FPS. NOTE that this is an unsupported
feature at this time. If you experience any problems, please reenable Aero again. Aero is
only available in Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is not available in Windows XP.

1. Brose to the main install flder for Cliffs of Dover. By default it is
(Program Files)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
where (Program Files) is the actual physical location that can vary for your individual
machine.

2. Find a file called Launcher.exe in the folder
(it may simply be Launcher, if you have disabled the display of file extensions in
Windows)

3. Right-click the file and select Properties.

4. Select the Compatibility tab in the window that appears.

5. Check the "Disable desktop composition" checkbox in the Compatiblity tab and press OK.

6. Depending on your system specs, you may see a performance increase when flying the
game.

Rogozhin
04-12-11, 02:48 AM
Screenshots are coming in from the guys with the Russian version of the game, lucky dudes.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5612024641_b08e10c5c0_b.jpg

ginfest
04-14-11, 06:09 AM
Looks really nice. Always loved the IL2 series but haven't played in quite a while. What are controller are folks using to fly these now? My old setup is long gone.

Scendore
04-14-11, 02:21 PM
Well they range anywhere from Microsoft Forcefeedback 2 Sticks to HOTAS. HOTAS systems are great but they are more on the expensive side.

Logitec G940 with Force Feedback though I've hearn it has had some issues...
Saitek has a number of sticks and HOTAS setups relatively inexpensive
CH more expensive but very solid products
Thrustmaster WartHog again really nice stick but not cheap

Scendore
04-15-11, 06:04 PM
Lots of videos are showing on up on youtube.

Here is one I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMftuei6Fw