PDA

View Full Version : SLI required for 2d Surround? WTF?!

Xevious
03-26-11, 03:58 AM
This is soo retarded. Why do you guys require two cards and SLI for doing 2d surround (not 3d) so only two displays. You can drive 2 displays off one card so why the hell dont you allow 2d surround on a single card? I cant think of any good reason but greed to require people to go out and buy two of your cards...

Really sucks for the people who don't have motherboards that support SLI as they are just f*cked and have to go ati instead.

Edit: Ok so I thought 2d was two displays but I guess not. Its even more retarded to not have a two display mode and only have a three display mode, LOL!. I mean all nvidia cards on older OS's supported spanning which is basically what this '2d surround' crap is with two displays and yet nvidia doesn't add support for just 2 displays (like all their cards were limited to before?).

GitDat
03-26-11, 07:25 AM
Get a GTX 560 :)

Xevious
03-26-11, 07:31 AM
Get a GTX 560 :)

Actually its useless as it still can't do two display spanning. Also saying buy new hardware?

Oh well. Nvidia is vastly inferior to ATI now when it comes to multiple displays on windows 7. Hell even on linux I had to buy two video cards to run my three monitors which I could have done on 1 video card with ATI.

wheeljack12
03-26-11, 10:17 AM
get either a evga gtx 460 2win card (dual gtx 460 gpu, 3 dvi for 3 monitors) or a single gtx 590 (dual gtx 580,3 dvi for 3 monitors). BTW, you need 3 monitors to do 2d or 3d surround. You can hook up two monitors to any given nvidia card but it won't allow surround gaming. why not two monitors? try playing a fps with two monitors and see how it places the aiming reticule for example. even ati guys doing eyefinity for gaming do 3 monitors.

Xevious
03-26-11, 10:42 AM
get either a evga gtx 460 2win card (dual gtx 460 gpu, 3 dvi for 3 monitors) or a single gtx 590 (dual gtx 580,3 dvi for 3 monitors). BTW, you need 3 monitors to do 2d or 3d surround. You can hook up two monitors to any given nvidia card but it won't allow surround gaming. why not two monitors? try playing a fps with two monitors and see how it places the aiming reticule for example. even ati guys doing eyefinity for gaming do 3 monitors.

You need two or 4 monitor spanning (which ATI does perfectly) when you have a single monitor which takes multiple inputs to get the full resolution/refresh rate.

Not support dual monitor because 'its bad for FPS' is stupid as there are lots of other games that don't suffer as much being split in the monitor or others who might need this not even for running games...

nevcairiel
03-28-11, 07:23 AM
others who might need this not even for running games...

I have two monitors running just fine on my PC. Granted i cannot make games span across both screens, but i can with default windows applications.

Xevious
03-28-11, 12:09 PM
you want two monitors in spanning? hmmm. Like a bezel right in the middle much? Do people even bother to think about these things?

Like I said in some games this is not a problem. Also in my case I was using this feature on a single monitor so no there wouldn't be a bezel right in the middle.

wheeljack12
03-29-11, 11:56 AM
you want two monitors in spanning? hmmm. Like a bezel right in the middle much? Do people even bother to think about these things?

that's what I was trying to tell him DB!

Xevious
03-29-11, 05:06 PM
how can you use this feature on a single monitor when it is for multiple monitors by definition? You are not making any sense. two output surround would only make sense for projectors

There do exist monitors that require multiple DVI inputs and *spanning* in order to run them at the maximum refresh rate/resolution.

Its still dumb that they don't allow two displays when its likely easy to implement in the software.