PDA

View Full Version : Intel X79 Chipset

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

italy2010
03-30-11, 05:06 AM
next platform for enthusiasts (successor to LGA1366, X58), will consist of a 2011-pin LGA socket, the Sandy Bridge-E (enthusiast) processor that features a massive quad-channel DDR3 memory controller and 32+ lane PCI-Express 2.0 hub, and the X79 chipset. Intel is looking to skip the 6-series chipset family with its next high-end platform chipset, and perhaps it makes sense since the platform is slated for Q4 2011. The X79 is a PCH (platform controller hub), like P55 and P67, since Intel has reorganized the platform. The beefy PCI-E hub housed in the X58 northbridge is relocated to the processor die, and the southbridge is given a much needed overhaul in terms of connectivity.

The X79 is much bigger than P67 in terms of connectivity and features. Differences start right at the interconnect. While P67 connects to the processor over DMI (physical PCI-Express 2.0 x4), X79 supplements this link with an additional PCI-Express 2.0 x4 link to the processor's PCI-E hub if the user chooses so, in the EFI setup program. The chipset bus hence ends up with 8 GB/s of bandwidth, and wait till you hear what will make use of it: a 10-port SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller integrated to the PCH! That is a huge improvement in terms of storage connectivity, which is limping with 2-port SATA 6 Gb/s (next to four 3 Gb/s ports) on 6-series chipsets.

mullet
03-30-11, 07:10 AM
Now we are talking.

Intel17
03-30-11, 07:54 AM
Yeah! This is what we've wanted :D

Madpistol
03-30-11, 08:37 AM
They've finally done away with support for PCI. Good riddance.

wwec
03-30-11, 08:47 AM
USB 2.0? :s

ViN86
03-30-11, 08:54 AM
USB 2.0? :s

Manufacturers will undoubtedly add USB3.0. It's not really surprising, considering there really aren't many USB3.0 devices at present.

DiscipleDOC
03-30-11, 09:19 AM
They've finally done away with support for PCI. Good riddance.

I've often wondered who still uses PCI....:p

mcolbourn
03-30-11, 09:24 AM

I do for my sound card :(

ViN86
03-30-11, 10:03 AM

A lot of devices use PCI. Capture cards, sound cards, etc.

They should have left at least 1 PCI slot.

Intel17
03-30-11, 10:25 AM
I wish my mobo had more than 1 PCI slot (which is unfortunately occluded by one of my gfx cards)...had to buy a PCI-E soundcard rather than a cheaper PCI one.

Redeemed
03-30-11, 11:08 AM
Here's hoping things will work out so I can upgrade to this come this year's end. And the only add-in card I have is my graphics card so I'm not too worried about PCI. :)

alitayyab
03-30-11, 11:32 AM
I think that even the P67 lacks native PCI support and that is only provided by a bridge chip (IT8892)

|MaguS|
03-30-11, 12:27 PM
CPU better not cost 1 ****ing grand is all I can say.

hirantha
03-30-11, 12:35 PM
oh yeah i will jump on the upgrade bandwagon with this one.. will be a huge bump from my X48 lol

LydianKnight
03-30-11, 12:59 PM
CPU better not cost 1 ****ing grand is all I can say.

You know it's (more than probably) gonna cost that, or quite close to it, as it's the high end part of Intel product set. If it were AMD, that would be weird, but Intel? Nothing new. You want performance? Then... you have a price to pay :p

|MaguS|
03-30-11, 01:26 PM
You know it's (more than probably) gonna cost that, or quite close to it, as it's the high end part of Intel product set. If it were AMD, that would be weird, but Intel? Nothing new. You want performance? Then... you have a price to pay :p

The "performance" is usually them unlocking or adding something they removed. Rarely is it ever a whole new design that warrants the price. Look at the original i7 lineup.

snowmanwithahat
03-30-11, 01:46 PM
This will be mine... I've been waiting for a good time to upgrade my system

nekrosoft13
03-30-11, 02:49 PM

AMD are no saints, did you already forget what happened when AMD had a better product? when AMD CPUs used to cost 600-1000 bucks.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/amd/athlon64x2/preview/table5.png

only reason why AMD cpus are cheap now because they need the sales, are in deep financial trouble and every sale counts.

Intel17
03-30-11, 03:52 PM
The "performance" is usually them unlocking or adding something they removed. Rarely is it ever a whole new design that warrants the price. Look at the original i7 lineup.

Well, I mean, the SNB-E chips will have 4 channel memory, 20mb L3 cache across up to 8 cores...

Viral
03-30-11, 07:13 PM
I really like the look of the platform, however, something tells me we aren't going to see the successor to the original i7 920 on this platform. :( I'm thinking prices will start at $500 for the lowest end at best. Of course, it could be worse and this could be for EE only. Or maybe just a whole bunch of expensive 6 and 8 cores.

Intel17
03-30-11, 09:59 PM
I *want* this platform to be 6 and 8 core extreme CPUs. If you want 2-4 cores, the current SNB chips are great on the P67 platform.

Intel17
04-02-11, 09:11 AM
+1

This needs to be as "extreme" as possible. We're already waiting way too long for a proper 1366 successor!

You're damn right, man. I've never owned an extreme edition CPU, but I've been pretty diligently putting money away for the last five years in case I ever wanted to do it (one time shot, though...). I might go for SB-E :D

Even if I don't get it, I like knowing that there's badass hardware out there. :)

hirantha
04-04-11, 01:40 PM
you know you can put this chip to good use when you know for sure that Elders scroll Skyrim is releasing in the same time period :) .. hope we hear some more news about this X79 in the coming days :D

hirantha
04-09-11, 10:55 PM
So its coming this year for sure (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x.html)!!
"The second option is to wait until Intel releases something new to replace their high-end LGA1366 platform, which will include new generation multi-core processors, which will undoubtedly be superior. In fact, you won’t be waiting too long. By the end of this year they should roll out new enthusiast platform – LGA2011, which will boast all sorts of technological enhancements, including two PCI Express x16 slots and four memory channels. This platform will require multi-core (more than four cores) Sandy Bridge processors, which will undoubtedly faster than their LGA1155 relatives."

Get your wallets ready :D

Redeemed
04-09-11, 11:13 PM
Not comitting to it as I've far more important things to put my money towards.

However, if finances allow it then this will be my next upgrade. :)