PDA

View Full Version : Fix for scrolling noise issue with GeForce FX

TBi
08-07-03, 09:19 AM
I see a lot of people here have the noise issue when scrolling and using a Geforce FX, while i don't have a Geforce and don't have this problem a friend of mine does and fixed it himself.

I'm not sure how well this works though.

Noise Bug Fix (http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2490)

If your using a mouse specifically a Microsoft mouse and you hear a strange noise when using the scroll wheel in Internet Explorer and you have a GeForceFX 5900 or an Ultra model, the fix is to turn off smooth scrolling in Internet options and the noise should disappear.

Hope this helps all of you.

Now if only i could find a way to get rid of that wavey line problem with my radeon 9700 PRO, i didn't have it on the 9500 PRO.

macachia
08-09-03, 01:34 AM
that fix only hides the problem in internet explorer. Other software which need scrolling like mirc still exhibit the noise. So does PCMARK 2002 in some of the tests ( the one where colours in a rainbow fashion are scrolled down the screen)

i hope this gets fixed by nvidia soon. I'd hate requesting an rma or refund for such a small matter

Uttar
08-09-03, 06:04 AM
Yep, only fixes it in IE. Heck, even Star Wars Galaxies exhibits this issue!

Uttar

macachia
08-09-03, 08:14 AM
hello mighty Uttar,

do you think it can be a driver problem? I hope it is :) since driver problems can be fixed

could it be the fan when it revs up and down?

lukar
08-09-03, 10:14 AM
Noise from speakers or video card?

macachia
08-09-03, 10:37 AM
i'm sure its not from the speakers since when switched off, the sound is still emmitted.

This sound problem did not happend with ti4600/pro nor 9800 pro

quik_2_win
08-09-03, 07:07 PM
That's very odd- I was fighting an issue with my FX5800U. Check this out: Every so often, when browsing in IE6 using a logitech optical wheel mouse, I would experience a situation where the graphics card cooling fan would spin-up as if in 3D-mode and would sometimes even cause the system to 'hang', especially when scrolling. I turned 'smooth scrolling' off long ago and corrected this problem by doing so. The similarity is striking... can't verify the noise that you're hearing because, again, when I was fighting with this issue the fan on my 5800U would go full-speed (couldn't really hear anything else-)...

GravY
08-09-03, 08:08 PM
I get the noise with my Albatron 5900 when scrolling but not all the time.. I do get extensive noise when running intensive 3d apps.. ie: 3dmark03 will get noticably louder with whats happening on the screen..

lukar
08-09-03, 09:32 PM
I don't own Nvidia Card for a long time. Tell me, is there still option like for GFX 5800Ultra to setup clock speed for 2d and 3d??

The problem might be there...

GravY
08-10-03, 09:45 AM
yes it does, but I leave 2d clock at stock and get the scrolling noise..

combat_wombat
08-10-03, 09:55 AM
have you tried the mouse in both ps/2 and usb? made sure legacy mouse/keyboard support in the bios is disabled?

macachia
08-10-03, 11:43 AM
its not becaue of overclocking, my 5900 ultra is at standard speeds and it still does the noise

edit: it's not just the mouse, even if i use the scroll wheel on my microsoft office keyboard, i get the noise. So its not a usb/ps2 mouse problem

LycosV
08-10-03, 02:49 PM
The issue is not a new one. I've had this sound while scrolling thing on multiple computers with multiple video cards. I just upgraded to a FX5900 and it has the problem. So did my old Geforce3 (Standard). I did notice that it has to be Monitor/graphics related (I'm leaning towards monitor) because it you get it ready to scroll, then shut off the monitor and scroll, the noise goes away.

LycosV

Maverickman
08-10-03, 03:14 PM
That fixed my noise problem as well. Thanks for the info.

Uttar
08-10-03, 03:15 PM
Well, for me, it's in the speakers - don't hear it when they're off, - and it's an awful lot louder when they're at maximum...
I guess it might be related to the hardware - but even if it is, that doesn't mean they couldn't "hackfix" it through the drivers.
I'd be very surprised if they didn't manage to fix this bug - in time, that is :)

Uttar

macachia
08-10-03, 04:16 PM
i hope your're right :) personally i think its something from the vid card since no sound is emmitted with other nvidia or ati cards.

i'm using audigy2 and digitals speaker, so that's why the geforce awkward noise isn't heared on my speakers (thanks god)

GravY
08-10-03, 07:05 PM
this is from the video card, I have never had through all my years and all the cards a noise like this.. it sounds like its a voltage hum, it doesn't bother me, but it is strange.. with my case side on and all my fans going it's hard to hear, but with the side off you can't miss it..

macachia
08-11-03, 06:07 AM
eah, i think an evga rep posted on their forums that the noise was indeed voltage related..does this mean no fix is possible?

NKVD
08-11-03, 08:39 AM
I dont have any noise problems when scrolling....hmm and no flickering either..guess Im lucky

Jeffus
08-14-03, 02:35 PM
:confused: Noise? Noise!? (Hang on shuts PC down!) Ahhhhh, silence!!

OK, follow this thread!! My problems aren't just with windows clicking noises and scrolling noises... it in games as well, the more 3D processing required the louder the noise.. in the thread i have highlighted the problems!!

MSI forums (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/thread.php?threadid=26325&boardid=9&styleid=1&sid=ff91b5cc84d52063d6248892784b947b)

I've just updated to 45.23 and things are worse!!! To top it off the fog in OpenGL games (i.e. MOH:AA + SH) has gone nuts!!! Look at the Crossroads map (MOHDM4)

It's feckin rubbish!! Anyone actually onto this... I had Gainwards FX5900 Ultra before changing to MSIs..........

Jeffus
08-14-03, 02:36 PM
OH!!! Flickering, did I forget to mention this.... Black Hawk Down is almost unplayable!!:afro: