PDA

View Full Version : nVidia brags about 5900u's 3dm2k3 ranking on their conference call?

Pages : [1] 2 3

digitalwanderer
08-08-03, 12:35 AM
There is a thread over at B3D about nVidia's latest conference call (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7307) and I am still just in shock over this tidbit:

Joe DeFuria at B3D:
Lol...I just heard this on the call:

"According to Futuremark's Hall of Fame 2003, the 5900 Ultra is the top performing DX9 GPU, delivering the best performance for one of the industry's most recognized benchmarks, 3DMark '03."

I have never had a more appropriate time to use this:

:rolleyes:
Can I just be a bit offended that they point to their card's ranking in 3dm2k3 as just about the most blatant bit-o-hypocrisy I have seen from them to date?

digitalwanderer
08-08-03, 01:30 AM
nVidia's stock dropped 11.8% in after-hours trading (http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/kcswanson/10106862.html), looks like the mainstream is starting to catch on. :cool:

DMA
08-08-03, 01:44 AM
edit by StealthHawk: if you don't have anything constructive to say, and futhermore can't say it nicely, don't say anything at all. Dig's second post was unwarranted colorful commentary, but there was nothing wrong with his first post.

digitalwanderer
08-08-03, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by DMA
nuked
Aw gee, now you've went and huwt my intwaweb feewings. :(

GravY
08-08-03, 01:55 AM
come on Dig, I thought better of you.. :eek2:

digitalwanderer
08-08-03, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by GravY
come on Dig, I thought better of you.. :hmm:
"hmm" here equals "eek2" ;)

What do you mean you thought better of me? You didn't really expect me to get all puffy-chested over another flamer did ya? :lol:

prodikal
08-08-03, 02:02 AM
while that is ****in hilarious. its nothin to get in a tiff over

ChrisRay
08-08-03, 02:58 AM
I wouldnt call a 12% instant drop as anything of a "long term" effect on a company.

Understanding that drops and highs like this occur all the time. Like any stock. There's very likely scenerio that'll spring back in a few weeks. If not a few hours.

As you can see this can happen in few hours.

Malfunction
08-08-03, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I wouldnt call a 12% instant drop as anything of a "long term" effect on a company.

Understanding that drops and highs like this occur all the time. Like any stock. There's very likely scenerio that'll spring back in a few weeks. If not a few hours.

As you can see this can happen in few hours.

But is isn't as exciting to ATi fans when you put it like that. :(

lol... :D

Peace,

:D

ChrisRay
08-08-03, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
But is isn't as exciting to ATi fans when you put it like that. :(

lol... :D

Peace,

:D

Stock will plummet and rise on a wind change. All it takes is someone to mutter something slighty negative. Generally you cant compare stock by its "current" state.

Rather is state rounded off over a period of time to determine how stable it is :p

Any Stock expert would tell you this. IMO this would probably be a good time to buy Nvidia stock. As a buncha people will try to get rid of it in fear of it plummeting

Caching $$$$$

bkswaney
08-08-03, 03:19 AM
Come on DW. ;)

But they did not tell u how they got #1. :angel:

I really think ATI should do the same things to get top scores.
Hell tweak for benches.
Just leave games alone. :nono:

Malfunction
08-08-03, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by CNET News.com
Nvidia, the leading maker of graphics chips for PCs and other devices, reported modest sales gains and a sharp jump in quarterly profits Thursday, which it attributed to its deal to supply chips for Microsoft's Xbox game machine.
The company reported net income of $24.2 million, or 14 cents a share, for its second quarter, which ended July 27. That compares with income of $5.3 million, or 3 cents a share, in the same period a year ago and the consensus estimate of 11 cents a share from analysts polled by research firm First Call.

Revenue for the quarter was $459.8 million, compared with $427.3 million a year ago.

In a conference call with financial analysts following the announcement of the results, Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang attributed much of the growth to increased shipments of Xbox parts to Microsoft. Nvidia won a contract several years ago to supply the graphics processor--the most expensive part of a game machine--for the Xbox.

ATi = BAaaad, Nvidia = Gooood... hehe :p

And so are the days of our lives... Click here: (http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-5061321.html?tag=fd_top)

Peace,

:angel:

StealthHawk
08-08-03, 03:26 AM
Forget how they get their scores.

It's just extremely ironic that they would pimp 3dmark03 after all that stuff they said about it being bad and useless :p

Guess it's just like most people thought. It's great when it shows you as number one, and it's bad when it depicts you otherwise :D This is like a bad drama.

Richthofen
08-08-03, 03:34 AM
Do i care about their PR talk?
No i don't.
There is nothing wrong with that.
Every company does that otherwise management would be fool.

AMD will always state that their CPUs are the best. Obviously right now they don't have the fastest CPUs but they won't tell that.

Intel will always do the same. They for instance will state their Sysmark2002 benchmark wins. Everybody knows what a Cheatmark that benchmark is.
And ATI would do the same.

That is business and unfortunatly Nvidia is pretty successfull.
Well their margins drop a littlebit but that's not much of a problem.
They can afford that. Ones they blow ATI away their ASPs will rise and so the margins.
I don't think that they really have a cost issue here. What i think, is that the competition right now forces them to lower their prices. That's why margins are down.
But that is only a temporary problem.
With 1 billion in cash they can afford every price war to keep their market share. I think ATI can't so we will talk about all that in 1 year again.

According to the stock i don't know why it dropped but i tell you it will bounce back in pretty short time. Just a matter of weeks.
As a long term investor i don't care much about those short period events. People panic too much.

I listened to the whole conference call and i was pretty satisfied. The MediaQ deal seems to be a good opprtunity in the future. Good for some very nice revenue gains ober the next 3 to 4 years.
Another interesting thing was that Huang sounded like they are blocking a lot of TSMC's 0.13 micron capacity.
There seems not much left over for the competition. N1 i would say :)
It is the second time that i hear him stating that ATI probably can't sell much 0.13.

edit by StealthHawk: removed flames.

-=DVS=-
08-08-03, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Richthofen
Do i care about their PR talk?
No i don't.
There is nothing wrong with that.
Every company does that otherwise management would be fool.

AMD will always state that their CPUs are the best. Obviously right now they don't have the fastest CPUs but they won't tell that.

Intel will always do the same. They for instance will state their Sysmark2002 benchmark wins. Everybody knows what a Cheatmark that benchmark is.
And ATI would do the same.

That is business and unfortunatly Nvidia is pretty successfull.
Well their margins drop a littlebit but that's not much of a problem.
They can afford that. Ones they blow ATI away their ASPs will rise and so the margins.
I don't think that they really have a cost issue here. What i think, is that the competition right now forces them to lower their prices. That's why margins are down.
But that is only a temporary problem.
With 1 billion in cash they can afford every price war to keep their market share. I think ATI can't so we will talk about all that in 1 year again.

According to the stock i don't know why it dropped but i tell you it will bounce back in pretty short time. Just a matter of weeks.
As a long term investor i don't care much about those short period events. People panic too much.

I listened to the whole conference call and i was pretty satisfied. The MediaQ deal seems to be a good opprtunity in the future. Good for some very nice revenue gains ober the next 3 to 4 years.
Another interesting thing was that Huang sounded like they are blocking a lot of TSMC's 0.13 micron capacity.
There seems not much left over for the competition. N1 i would say :)
It is the second time that i hear him stating that ATI probably can't sell much 0.13.

Comes from a real FanBoy :rolleyes2 :lol: :flame:

Back to topic , this is realy funny Nvidia is jumping so fast , from calling names to best buddys :lame: imho "According to Futuremark's Hall of Fame 2003, the 5900 Ultra is the top performing DX9 GPU, delivering the best performance for one of the industry's most recognized benchmarks, 3DMark '03."

volt
08-08-03, 05:34 AM
And that's the way the cookie crumbles :rolleyes:

Unit01
08-08-03, 05:50 AM
LOL so NV is boasting over their 3dmark03 scores? :D:D:D:D
But isn't 3dmark03 EVIL?
Where's Kyle? Wont he make a headline out of that? :D:D:D
Huang: ....and to close the conference call, 3dmark03 is EV.... oh wait. Geforce FX 5900ULTRA is the leading graphics card in the 3dmark03 hall of fame :D
For what it's worth it should be in the hall of shame

Richthofen
08-08-03, 06:39 AM
who cares.
Everything which boosts business is ok.
Everything is allowed to win against the competition.
That is how i like it :)
N1 business war between the two of them - prety entertaining especially the TSMC 0.13 capacity part.

I remember him stating some conference calls ago that he does not worry much about ATIs 0.13 line because he thinks they can't sell or better can't make enough and he was laughing a littlebit. You could hear the smile on his face hehe.
Well customer number 1 comes always first.

That is how business is going. The way its meant to be played - i would say :)

Richthofen
08-08-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Comes from a real FanBoy :rolleyes2 :lol: :flame:

Back to topic , this is realy funny Nvidia is jumping so fast , from calling names to best buddys :lame: imho

they are jumping that fast like the US does all the times with their foreign policy.
There was a time when people like Saddam or Osama bin Laden were big friends to the US because it was in the US interests to support those people.
After the cold war they dropped them.

Same with companies. Today it is that way and tomorrow that way. Everything is allowed to earn as much money and as much market share as you can.
No matter how because that is all that counts - period.

jbirney
08-08-03, 08:51 AM
Yea thats got to be one of the biggest jokes I have seen in a long time. They went from We dont trust 3dmarks you need to play games, 3dmark is a bad stance..to oh hey now that were are number #1 in 3dmarks its good.....

Dazz
08-08-03, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
ATi = BAaaad, Nvidia = Gooood... hehe :p

And so are the days of our lives... Click here: (http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-5061321.html?tag=fd_top)

Peace,

:angel: Glad to see you have lived up to your name :D

digitalwanderer
08-08-03, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Richthofen
who cares.
Everything which boosts business is ok.
Everything is allowed to win against the competition.
That is how i like it :)
N1 business war between the two of them - prety entertaining especially the TSMC 0.13 capacity part.

I remember him stating some conference calls ago that he does not worry much about ATIs 0.13 line because he thinks they can't sell or better can't make enough and he was laughing a littlebit. You could hear the smile on his face hehe.
Well customer number 1 comes always first.

That is how business is going. The way its meant to be played - i would say :)
Dude, that kind of mentality is exactly what is wrong with nVidia right now! :rolleyes:

When you start trying to TELL the customer what they want rather than LISTEN to them about what they want is when you know a business is in trouble. (As well as in denial. ;) )

If M$ hadn't bailed out nV over the last two quarters, they wouldn't have shown ANY profit! :lol:

I'm not saying nVidia entirely sucks great big hairy donkey-balls here, I'm just pointing out that they are entirely out of touch with the reality of their situation. :)

combat_wombat
08-08-03, 11:12 AM
When you start trying to TELL the customer what they want rather than LISTEN to them about what they want is when you know a business is in trouble. (As well as in denial. )

that's what killed 3dfx.

reever2
08-08-03, 01:58 PM
Nvidia really should be investigated by the SEC for what they were trying to do with the conference call. Days before they were going to announce their earnings and the CC they warned that they were not going to beat expectations and revenues were going to be much lower, but really they knew full well what their revenues were going to be and that they were going to beat expectations, which is why they set the bar very low in their warning, they were trying to make it seem like the quarter was more successful than everybody thought and make the stock go up, but it seemed to have backfired

Smokey
08-08-03, 08:57 PM
As ironic as this is, I just have a couple of questions to the people that seem to pick and choose the overall picture here.

Nvidia dropped out of the 3DMark beta program, futuremark patch 3dmark2003 because of so called "cheats", we all know that. But didnt futuremark make a public statement after the patch stating that nvidia was not infact cheating and now understand thier optimizations? Maybe futuremark and nvidia are friends again? So now if both companies are happy with eachother, why it so silly that nvidia mention thier cards and 3dmark?