PDA

View Full Version : Considering 2600 vs 2600k? Don't.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Q
04-03-11, 04:01 PM
I don't overclock. I just don't. I buy mid to high-tier products and pass them down to my wife and media center PC when I upgrade. I need stuff to last a long time and be reliable. For the average enthusiast, overclocking is a way of life... and a free upgrade. And since most enthusiasts replace hardware every year or so, it's not a big deal.

After a burnt CPU/Mobo catastrophe earlier in the month (faulty motherboard), I finally received the RMA parts yesterday. Everything seemed to work fine this time. I was surprised that W7 64 SP1 installed from bare bones to working OS in like 25 minutes. Super awesome performance on the desktop!

P67A-GD65

So I thought I'd check my temps after noticing a reading of 65C in the BIOS!!!

In Windows, I'm typically getting about 30C on idle across 4 cores with an overall reading around 40C. Under load with Prime/Linpack/etc, I got up to 87C!!! I've taken the stock cooler off and reseated it, rotating 90 degrees, and applied some Arctic 5 paste. (I used stock originally). Now under load I'm hitting 83C max with 80C being the norm across the 4 cores.

"The Googles" tell me that the normal load range is in the 60C's. So what's wrong with my configuration?

Everyone on the web is running a 2600K. I can barely find anyone with the vanilla 2600. So what's the big difference?

http://hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=1610

Scroll down and eventually you'll see two VERY different coolers. I was suspicious of how small the stock cooler was. I have a 1.6 GHZ Celeron with the same cooler.

On all the reviews I read that the only difference between vanilla and K was $30 and the ability to overclock. WRONG. The coolers are vastly different. 80C-87C is way to hot when the T Junction is at 99C. Its either buy a new heatsink or be super paranoid and clean the dust every two weeks. (Not that I should let it get dusty anyways, but that's way too close for comfort).

You've been warned. Even if you're not overclocking, spend the $30 for the cooler with the 2600K. Or invest it into an aftermarket cooler.

EDIT:
Roadhog mention later on in this thread...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2414396&postcount=19

That the 2600K actually comes with the same crappy cooler. A few Google searches later and it looks like he's right. It seems like there might just be something screwy with my setup.

Madpistol
04-03-11, 06:10 PM
Yep. I overclock, so I'd get the K model, but to each their own.

Glad you're happy with your chip. :)

Bman212121
04-03-11, 06:43 PM
Hmm interesting... Surprised they would use a different cooler between models like that. I'd have to say that I never use a reference cooler even if I'm not overclocking the CPU though. Good heads up for someone who was going to use it though.

If I weren't using a K series I'd actually look at getting the S series. Lower power cpu which would probably be okay on that cooler since it's 30W less.

Q
04-03-11, 07:00 PM
I bought a Zalman for my Q6600 B3, but the Q6600 G0 had a very adequate stock cooler. Quiet and kept temps down to a decent level.

I think I'm going to pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. There goes "saving" $30 with getting the non-K.

Roadhog
04-03-11, 07:37 PM
so.. Let me get this straight. You are bitching about a stock cooler on a cpu that is running well within its thermal specs? LOL

Q
04-03-11, 09:14 PM
so.. Let me get this straight. You are bitching about a stock cooler on a cpu that is running well within its thermal specs? LOL

You're comfortable with a brand new cooler running at 87C under load? I would say mid 60's under load, like what everyone with a K cooler has, is "well within its thermal specs". Maybe I was spoiled with the cooling and silence of the stock Q6600 G0 cooler. My main beef is with internet retailers who didn't distinguish between the two models adequately and the internet reviewer and forum community who harped over and over "the only difference between the two is the overclocking ability".

Roadhog
04-03-11, 10:15 PM
You're comfortable with a brand new cooler running at 87C under load? I would say mid 60's under load, like what everyone with a K cooler has, is "well within its thermal specs". Maybe I was spoiled with the cooling and silence of the stock Q6600 G0 cooler. My main beef is with internet retailers who didn't distinguish between the two models adequately and the internet reviewer and forum community who harped over and over "the only difference between the two is the overclocking ability".

Yeah, 87c is fine. lol

Put it this way. The TIM I use on my cpu needs to be burned it at 100c for 5-10 mins. My cpu still works just fine. If your cpu ran at 99c it's entire life it would last the full 5 years or whatever it is rated for.

Q
04-03-11, 10:25 PM
Yeah, 87c is fine. lol

Put it this way. The TIM I use on my cpu needs to be burned it at 100c for 5-10 mins. My cpu still works just fine. If your cpu ran at 99c it's entire life it would last the full 5 years or whatever it is rated for.

My eyes just about popped out of my head. That seems crazy. I realize that we're dealing with silicon and not water, but that just seems really high. What brand are you using?

I've been dealing with server class hardware so much over the last two years that I'm not as current on TIM and aftermarket cooling as I should be.

I'm still going to change the heatsink, though. The CPU fan runs at 100% to keep it at decent idle tamps. It will run around 65C if I crank the fan down. It's more so the sound that's bothering me and "what I'm used to" for temps. I just baby the hell out of my hardware, so the numbers made me a bit skidish... especially when "everyone else" was only hitting mid 60's under load, overclocking and with the stock cooler....(2600K, though).

Roadhog
04-03-11, 10:53 PM
60C load in an ice cold room maybe.

Also, this is what i'm using.

http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/

Bah!
04-04-11, 03:25 AM
You're comfortable with a brand new cooler running at 87C under load?

Absolutely not. You shouldn't be seeing temps that high on a stock 2600, not even close.

Yeah, 87c is fine. lol

That's absurd.

A non-overclocked chip should in no way be running at 80c+ regardless of the cooling. The stock cooler for the 2600k will let you go above 4ghz and still stay in the 60c range (and no, not in a freezing room), which makes me think something was off with his 2600 cooler even with it being smaller.

87c is not fine for a stock clocked 2600. The only people I've seen hitting 80c+ are people running at 5ghz or higher using crazy voltages and even then most people feel this is too high. There sure as hell isn't anyone I know willing to let their CPU run at anywhere close to 99c.

Finally, the TJ MAX on the SB is 98c so telling people they can run one at 99c for 5 years is horrible advice. Hell, even the stuff you linked says it works at ~85-90C, not 100c, and I wouldn't run it that high for more than a couple of minutes.

Roliath
04-04-11, 06:37 AM
post pic of inside of case + picture of where case sits

Q
04-04-11, 07:28 AM
post pic of inside of case + picture of where case sits

I'll post a pic this afternoon when I get home from work. It's a Cosmos 1000 and while the cabling isn't impeccable, it is rather sparse. The case sits on the floor. There is a 120mm intake on the bottom of the case (literal bottom, not front) and there is 1 120mm fan on the back with 2 120mm fans directly above the CPU.

The load temps are the same with the case open or closed. You can actually feel a nice breeze with the fans running if you set next to the case. :D

I'm convinced that it's the heat sink and fan. My Q6600 G0 ran very nicely with it's stock cooler and it had a similar thermal profile.

DiscipleDOC
04-04-11, 08:37 AM
Regardless, those are high temps. How long have you had these temps?

Q
04-04-11, 08:48 AM
Regardless, those are high temps. How long have you had these temps?

I originally bought the CPU and Motherboard about three weeks ago. But there was some sort of flaw in the CPU socket that resulted in the CPU scorching. Pins literally burned and disappeared! I usually blame myself for such screw ups, but the pins were missing in the very middle on one of the "side-o-pins".

I finally got the parts back from RMA on Friday and put the box together on Saturday. Because my idle temps are reasonable, I know its not a sensor issue. The processor and heatsink are both very level. There is no play in the heatsink when it's mounted. Also, I've even taken the heatsink off, applied AS5, rotated, and repeated a couple times. The AS5 did knock the temps down about 5c, but I'm sure the measly heatsink is the issue. It's just waaaay too small to dissipate that much heat.

The only reason we're not hearing about this more is because I'm the only sucker to buy the non-K model on the entire internet.

LydianKnight
04-04-11, 09:34 AM
Maybe you shouldn't rule out the possibility for the CPU to be defective. Not trying to say it is, but... maybe. Electronic manufacturing is quite complex nowadays and even with the plethora of inspection methods we have at hand, some defects don't get catched on-site.

Could be just that, a matter of the heatsink being ineffective for your CPU but if the problem keeps being there, maybe you should consider the option to RMA it.

Q
04-04-11, 09:47 AM
Maybe you shouldn't rule out the possibility for the CPU to be defective. Not trying to say it is, but... maybe. Electronic manufacturing is quite complex nowadays and even with the plethora of inspection methods we have at hand, some defects don't get catched on-site.

Could be just that, a matter of the heatsink being ineffective for your CPU but if the problem keeps being there, maybe you should consider the option to RMA it.

Absolutely true. I've got the Hyper 212+ ordered. If the temperatures don't drop dramatically, I'll be looking at an RMA.

Bman212121
04-04-11, 10:22 AM
I'd bet it's just an inadequate cooler. 60C is honestly the norm for a boxed cooler, and when running a high workload like P95 I could see it going up. However there is no way I'd let a CPU run at 80C+ at all. We could argue all day about how it might be rated for 100C and how GPUs run that hot, but I've had a couple of high end GPUs that would run those temps and both of them are dead after only 3 years.

nemecb
04-04-11, 12:53 PM
Ditto on the "just say no to 87 C temps". Heck, my Q6600 didn't get that hot when my CPU fan died and it was running Folding. Granted, I'm not running the stock cooler, but I'm also overclocked quite a bit.

Roadhog
04-04-11, 01:26 PM
Actually, the 2600K does not come with the tower cooler. The couple reviewers ONLY got the tower cooler. The tower cooler only comes with extreme edition cpus. You should fix your thread to reflect the correct information.

Roadhog
04-04-11, 01:32 PM
Absolutely not. You shouldn't be seeing temps that high on a stock 2600, not even close.

That's absurd.

A non-overclocked chip should in no way be running at 80c+ regardless of the cooling. The stock cooler for the 2600k will let you go above 4ghz and still stay in the 60c range (and no, not in a freezing room), which makes me think something was off with his 2600 cooler even with it being smaller.

87c is not fine for a stock clocked 2600. The only people I've seen hitting 80c+ are people running at 5ghz or higher using crazy voltages and even then most people feel this is too high. There sure as hell isn't anyone I know willing to let their CPU run at anywhere close to 99c.

It's hot, but it's within spec. If the cpu dies from it, which it won't, he has a warranty.

Finally, the TJ MAX on the SB is 98c so telling people they can run one at 99c for 5 years is horrible advice. Hell, even the stuff you linked says it works at ~85-90C, not 100c, and I wouldn't run it that high for more than a couple of minutes.

I said 99c because he mentioned 99c. Way to nit pick. I figured he knew the correct temp so I didn't decide to look it up.

Also, about the TIM it says 90-100c, for my application. learn to read. 1366's throttle at 99c so it happens to stay at 99c...

http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/docs/indigoxtremeinstallation-1366xtremeclean.pdf

Q
04-04-11, 02:38 PM
Actually, the 2600K does not come with the tower cooler. The couple reviewers ONLY got the tower cooler. The tower cooler only comes with extreme edition cpus. You should fix your thread to reflect the correct information.

You're right. Let me fix that. That makes me think there is something seriously screwed up with my setup.

Roadhog
04-04-11, 02:50 PM
You're right. Let me fix that. That makes me think there is something seriously screwed up with my setup.

Maybe you just have really poor airflow. Or your ambient temp is high.

ViN86
04-04-11, 03:00 PM
Maybe you just have really poor airflow. Or your ambient temp is high.

This is the most probably answer imo. My old case had terrible airflow and no matter what cooler or paste I used, temperatures were high.

Take the side off of your case and put a fan blowing cold/ambient air directly into your cooler and see what your temps are like.

Q
04-04-11, 05:31 PM
Well, I feel a bit vin86dicated. You guys had me worried that I didn't know how to create proper air flow in the case. I worked as a PC technician for years and have been a Systems Admin for over 2 years. I was afraid my skills were degrading!

(They ARE degrading... but not that badly, I hope)

Attached, you'll find pictures of my cabling. It isn't "UBER GAMER L33T", but its mostly clutter free. You can see the bottom 120 and the top 3 120mm fans if you look closely. All are pushing at full blast.

So, I after I took the first pictures, I put the ultra-vortex-room-cooling fan directly on the case, and took another picture. (As proof to you heathens!) I then fired up Prime 95 for two minutes. See temps.

|MaguS|
04-04-11, 06:24 PM
Your temps are HIGH. My temps run lower then yours at my OC and on load.