PDA

View Full Version : Half Life in direct3d

Badboy_12345
08-08-03, 08:47 AM
k I have been running halflife in opengl and it works flawless great fps (99 constant) and all but now I must use it in direct3d for something but I get like under 30 fps in that mode WTF?
I wonder what could be wrong? I have never used it in d3d before so I didnt know about this until now..
But this is unbelivable something MUST be wrong..
I play it in 1024x768
FFS I get the same fps in Doom 3 as I get in HL d3d mode... :mad:

I use the 44.04 drivers
My PC:
AMD XP 2000+
512 mb ram
GF4 4200 64mb

Edge
08-08-03, 09:12 AM
The D3D mode in HL was never very good. They only added it for extra compatability with cards that didn't support OpenGL (which was a very quick addition they did to the Quake engine). But I remember having to use D3D on my Voodoo 3 and I don't remember the framerate having much trouble, so you shouldn't have that problem on a TI4200. I'm guessing it's just a bug in HL's code, but I don't think they're going to update the D3D code anymore. Hmm, maybe try turning off AA and aniso and such and see if that helps. If that doesn't affect it, hmm, maybe try reentering the max_fps 100 and see if that does it. Otherwise, I can't really think of what else you can do besides run in OpenGL (or software...)

Oh, and I haven't gotten a chance to play the full version of Doom 3, how is it :rolleyes:

Badboy_12345
08-08-03, 09:23 AM
I meant Doom 3 Alpha :p
I have everything off and I have tried max fps it dosesnt work..
Ive heard that the d3d is bugged but not that it makes your fps like ****.. I would be able to play it 60+ with my machine its HL for gods sake not Doom 3 or Unreal 2...

stncttr908
08-08-03, 09:39 AM
So why do you have to use it anyway? Is it really THAT important?

Badboy_12345
08-08-03, 10:41 AM
I bought 3dglasses and hl in opengl dosent work so good with it..
and 90% of my gaming time I play hl and its mods sooo YES! ;)

Edge
08-08-03, 01:05 PM
I know you meant the Doom 3 alpha, I just felt like giving you crap for it :)

Heh, those 3d glasses are silly, but they're kinda entertaining I guess. However, I think your problem maybe be the 3d glasses themselves. You need a program or something running the background while you use them, right? Because the way that the ones I saw worked is that it would render one frame for one eye and then another frame in another eye, so HL may actually be running at 60 FPS but since it's for 2 different eyes it halves the framerate. Have you tried running it in D3D without using the glasses?

Badboy_12345
08-08-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Edge
I know you meant the Doom 3 alpha, I just felt like giving you crap for it :)

Heh, those 3d glasses are silly, but they're kinda entertaining I guess. However, I think your problem maybe be the 3d glasses themselves. You need a program or something running the background while you use them, right? Because the way that the ones I saw worked is that it would render one frame for one eye and then another frame in another eye, so HL may actually be running at 60 FPS but since it's for 2 different eyes it halves the framerate. Have you tried running it in D3D without using the glasses?

3dglasses are awsome all games look 10 times better and you are playing in 3D! I will never play any game without the glasses ever again I dont care if I need to set the game to low graphics the 3dglasses makes up for it :D

Yeah I know that its a problem with the drivers but there is not much support on 3dglasses :(
It worked great for 2 days in opengl and for no reason at all it stopped working in hl opengl mode...
So I thought I will get help fixing hl in d3d 10 times faster than making the opengl work with 3dglasses again..
No, no program is running in the background beacuse nvidia has drivers for 3dglasses BLESS EM! And they are awsome :)
Yes it renders 2 screens instead of one but you turn it off and on with a simpel push of a button and WITHOUT having it on I get 20-40 fps and half that if you put it on :P

Ah I try getting it to work in opengl if there is no fix for d3d framerate (have been trying for 2 hours now) :(

Edge
08-09-03, 08:41 AM
Hmm, that's odd...so they just stopped working altogeather? Strange that they would work fine and then just stop, you didn't install any other programs or change any Half-life settings, did you? The only thing I can think of is maybe reinstall HL and the Nvidia drivers, and see if that fixes anything. Oh, and when you said it stopped working in OGL mode, do you mean that the glasses no longer gave you a 3d image?

Glad you like the 3d glasses though, it's a funny effect but I didn't really try them long enough to get used to them. Just wish they didn't cost so much...oh well.

Badboy_12345
08-09-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Hmm, that's odd...so they just stopped working altogeather? Strange that they would work fine and then just stop, you didn't install any other programs or change any Half-life settings, did you? The only thing I can think of is maybe reinstall HL and the Nvidia drivers, and see if that fixes anything. Oh, and when you said it stopped working in OGL mode, do you mean that the glasses no longer gave you a 3d image?

Glad you like the 3d glasses though, it's a funny effect but I didn't really try them long enough to get used to them. Just wish they didn't cost so much...oh well.

They are really cheap I got mine for 80$ with shipping to Sweden..
But I fixed it know or partly.. I turned on the option so it starts with the game but I need to restart the game many times for it to display right (really really strange)
The problem was I got only one side of the image when I turned it on it worked flawlessly for 2 days then one day it just stopped...