PDA

View Full Version : My PC is Hard freezing!!!!!!! arghh!

Pages : [1] 2

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

My PC is hard freezing, its totally random. So far it hasn't happened in gaming but probably just luck, it has happened while web browsing, listening to mp3 etc. It is totally random, my PC might be fine for 3 hours or it might happen after 30mins. Anyway things I have tried are running the Western Digital HD check, and all ok. I also ran Memtest and its checked out ok also. My Soundcard, PSU and HD's etc were all in my last build and they were ok so it has to be either mobo or ram or CPU as they are all new, doubt the videocard/CPU is the issue. I am thinking its the Motherboard at this stage as if you google it others are having hard freeze issues. Anyway my motherboard is a non B3 board so I have asked for an RMA. Apparently others have fixed by increasing the voltage on the RAM slightly but I should not have to do things like this as my system is all stock and that RAM is on Corsairs website and states its 100% compatible with the P8P67 Deluxe.

Has anyone else had troubles? man these sort of problems do my head in and are so frustrating.

Muppet
04-12-11, 01:26 AM
I had issues like that in the past. It turned out to be my Corsair Dominator Ram. It was a well known problem on the X58 chipset and 2000mhz CL7 Ram. Have you tried running one stick at a time. That is one way you can rule out if it is the Ram or not.

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 01:46 AM
I had issues like that in the past. It turned out to be my Corsair Dominator Ram. It was a well known problem on the X58 chipset and 2000mhz CL7 Ram. Have you tried running one stick at a time. That is one way you can rule out if it is the Ram or not.

No i didn't try that, i spoke with the store I got the parts from and they told me to bring in the PC and it looks like they are going to RMA the board to the a B3 revision. Apparently others have had the same problems and the B3 fixes the issues.

Muppet
04-12-11, 01:49 AM
That is good then. I didn't realize you still had the original revision. What you have described is one of the symptoms of the early boards.

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 02:36 AM
That is good then. I didn't realize you still had the original revision. What you have described is one of the symptoms of the early boards.

Yeah can't wait to get it back!!! no gaming for me for approx a week :(

Next time I upgrade to new tech I think I will wait a bit, new tech always seem to have issues :(

mailman2
04-12-11, 11:47 AM
Are you overclocking at all? Its been a common issue with SB to have strange freeze/BSOD while idle. Apparently it's rumored they are working on a bios update that will cure this. I've had that as well. After running LinX, Prime stable for hours I will be surfing and it will bsod or freeze.

Oh and b3 doesn't matter, it happens on B3 boards too. I don't know if it matters if you are overclocking or not to be honest, I mention this because I know 110% my setup is stable but I've still had a couple of crashes while it was sitting idle or just surfing. Never had a crash while loaded or in a game. Some of the boards have really bad vdroop too which can cause a crash. My b2 Asrock was awful for voltage regulation, it would swing and drop anywhere from 1.38v to 1.29v just idle on the desktop with 1.35v selected in the bios. Keep an eye on that too.

ViN86
04-12-11, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

My PC is hard freezing, its totally random. So far it hasn't happened in gaming but probably just luck, it has happened while web browsing, listening to mp3 etc. It is totally random, my PC might be fine for 3 hours or it might happen after 30mins. Anyway things I have tried are running the Western Digital HD check, and all ok. I also ran Memtest and its checked out ok also. My Soundcard, PSU and HD's etc were all in my last build and they were ok so it has to be either mobo or ram or CPU as they are all new, doubt the videocard/CPU is the issue. I am thinking its the Motherboard at this stage as if you google it others are having hard freeze issues. Anyway my motherboard is a non B3 board so I have asked for an RMA. Apparently others have fixed by increasing the voltage on the RAM slightly but I should not have to do things like this as my system is all stock and that RAM is on Corsairs website and states its 100% compatible with the P8P67 Deluxe.

Has anyone else had troubles? man these sort of problems do my head in and are so frustrating.

Try manually setting the DRAM voltage and as many of the timings as possible. Motherboards do a terrible job with guessing the proper timings.

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 05:16 PM
Are you overclocking at all? Its been a common issue with SB to have strange freeze/BSOD while idle. Apparently it's rumored they are working on a bios update that will cure this. I've had that as well. After running LinX, Prime stable for hours I will be surfing and it will bsod or freeze.

Oh and b3 doesn't matter, it happens on B3 boards too. I don't know if it matters if you are overclocking or not to be honest, I mention this because I know 110% my setup is stable but I've still had a couple of crashes while it was sitting idle or just surfing. Never had a crash while loaded or in a game. Some of the boards have really bad vdroop too which can cause a crash. My b2 Asrock was awful for voltage regulation, it would swing and drop anywhere from 1.38v to 1.29v just idle on the desktop with 1.35v selected in the bios. Keep an eye on that too.

No I am not overclocking anything. Oh no, I was hoping the B3 would do the trick. I am going to get the B3 board anyways because I don't want the SATA issue to crop up later on. They are going to install it for me, when I get the PC back and if it still freezes then I will set the memory timings. I was running that on Auto. It pretty bad huh, you would have thought they would have picked up on these issues and fixed especially considering the Corsair Vengance memory has been 'certified to work' in the P8P67 deluxe boards!

And yes, that is the same symptoms as me, it has only happened while web surfing/listening to audio in Itunes etc. but has not happened while encoding videos or gaming.

fasedww
04-12-11, 05:29 PM
I had this but it was my crucial C300 256 ssd. I put it on the non 6 gig sata intel chipset and all is find. it would just sit ther for 45 seconds or more then go back to normal. this is all over the crucial ssd forums for the C300 SSD.:( Anyway I only had it on the sata 3 gig for a day, better knock on wood.

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 07:19 PM
I had this but it was my crucial C300 256 ssd. I put it on the non 6 gig sata intel chipset and all is find. it would just sit ther for 45 seconds or more then go back to normal. this is all over the crucial ssd forums for the C300 SSD.:( Anyway I only had it on the sata 3 gig for a day, better knock on wood.

My PC is hard freezing and never comes back. All you can do is completley power off the PC and then power back on. (not sure if reset would work as my case does not have a reset switch). But yeah its a hard freeze (not bluescreen) and only power off and on works, as the PC never recovers from it on its own. Its pretty serious as I could potentially lose data, I am pretty annoyed by it.

Pennyboy
04-12-11, 07:21 PM
Others are having the same issue, check this link out.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037084190

ViN86
04-12-11, 08:26 PM

In case you overlooked my post, did you set all of your timings and voltages on your RAM? There should be about 7 timings to set.

I assume it's this set?
http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-solutions/core-i7-dual-channel-kits/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8.html

I know it's tested at 8-8-8-24, but the SPD says it's 9-9-9-24, try those timings. There are 3 other timings you need to set as well.

Also try running it at 1.55V, if that fails try 1.6V. Do not go above 1.65V.

Roadhog
04-12-11, 08:33 PM
Try setting the Timing "DRAM READ to PRE Time" to 7.

fasedww
04-13-11, 06:10 PM
My PC is hard freezing and never comes back. All you can do is completley power off the PC and then power back on. (not sure if reset would work as my case does not have a reset switch). But yeah its a hard freeze (not bluescreen) and only power off and on works, as the PC never recovers from it on its own. Its pretty serious as I could potentially lose data, I am pretty annoyed by it.

I had a hard freeze but the hardrive light was on steady, then it would clear up eventually on its own.:(

ViN86
04-14-11, 09:40 AM

Did you even try mine and Roadhog's suggestions? Or did you dismiss them thinking the freezes are somehow caused by a defective motherboard?

Just because others hare having the issue doesn't mean it's the hardware. People often set memory timings incorrectly or not at all and have instability because of it.

Pennyboy
04-14-11, 05:05 PM
Did you even try mine and Roadhog's suggestions? Or did you dismiss them thinking the freezes are somehow caused by a defective motherboard?

Just because others hare having the issue doesn't mean it's the hardware. People often set memory timings incorrectly or not at all and have instability because of it.

Hey Vin, sorry mate I have not responded to your post util now, I haven't had my PC as its at the store I bought my parts from. Yeah I was going to try the suggestion but the place I bought my parts from is RMAing the board for a B3 revision. So if I still have the problems with my new board I will set the timings as per your post.
By the time I saw your posts my PC was at the store. I wanted my mobo replaced anyway because it was non B3.

fasedww
04-14-11, 06:25 PM
Hey Vin, sorry mate I have not responded to your post util now, I haven't had my PC as its at the store I bought my parts from. Yeah I was going to try the suggestion but the place I bought my parts from is RMAing the board for a B3 revision. So if I still have the problems with my new board I will set the timings as per your post.
By the time I saw your posts my PC was at the store. I wanted my mobo replaced anyway because it was non B3.

now I know what I did for that prior two the ssd thing Set the voltage to + 120 not auto our your own setting of voltage. it will increase itself as load is applied mine can go high as 1.46 when doing intel burn test I'm on watercooling.:)

ViN86
04-14-11, 07:08 PM

Yea, better to replace the board now rather than later.

Pennyboy
04-14-11, 08:24 PM
Yeah i just don't want the hassle later on down the track with the SATA issue and i am hoping it will also solve the hard freezing!
I have to wait a week :( approx. they are sending my board back then the suppiler will send down a replacement board. I'm struggling without my PC and missing my gaming :(

Muppet
04-15-11, 02:39 AM
Yeah i just don't want the hassle later on down the track with the SATA issue and i am hoping it will also solve the hard freezing!
I have to wait a week :( approx. they are sending my board back then the suppiler will send down a replacement board. I'm struggling without my PC and missing my gaming :(

Who did you buy the Board from. Was it Playtech or Computer Lounge.

Pennyboy
04-25-11, 07:47 PM
Who did you buy the Board from. Was it Playtech or Computer Lounge.

Hey Muppet, sorry for the late reply I have been away over easter and work has been really busy so haven't had a chance to check out the Nvnews forum to reply back. No it was Dragon PC, they have been really good. They replaced he motherboard and installed it for me, i have had little time to do it and wanted them to put it in and test it as getting over to the other side of CHCH is a nightmare (roads are terrible after the earthquake and traffic is BUSY because a lot of roads are still closed). Anyway I have a B3 P8P67 Deluxe now and so far so good, no freezes yet. Fingers crossed the freezing has all gone!
The RAM tests came out fine, Hard drives passed testing also. All other parts were in my PC before. So that only leaves the videcard or CPU if still issues. I have set memory as suggested by Vin.

ViN86
04-25-11, 10:01 PM
Hey Muppet, sorry for the late reply I have been away over easter and work has been really busy so haven't had a chance to check out the Nvnews forum to reply back. No it was Dragon PC, they have been really good. They replaced he motherboard and installed it for me, i have had little time to do it and wanted them to put it in and test it as getting over to the other side of CHCH is a nightmare (roads are terrible after the earthquake and traffic is BUSY because a lot of roads are still closed). Anyway I have a B3 P8P67 Deluxe now and so far so good, no freezes yet. Fingers crossed the freezing has all gone!
The RAM tests came out fine, Hard drives passed testing also. All other parts were in my PC before. So that only leaves the videcard or CPU if still issues. I have set memory as suggested by Vin.

Ok, so we can (finally) rule out memory haha. Do you have another vid card to try? Have you tried other drivers? Are you using the latest ones?

Odds are you don't have another CPU to test. With the new board, no mem errors, and vid card checking out (if it does), then odds are you may need to RMA the chip. :(

Pennyboy
04-26-11, 12:25 AM
Ok, so we can (finally) rule out memory haha. Do you have another vid card to try? Have you tried other drivers? Are you using the latest ones?

Odds are you don't have another CPU to test. With the new board, no mem errors, and vid card checking out (if it does), then odds are you may need to RMA the chip. :(

Hahah yeah we can rule out the memory and fingers crossed but i used the PC all day today with no freezes. I only got the PC back this morning. So i am thinking it was the motherboard because I would have had a freeze by now, touch wood, the freezing won't happen again!!!.
No I don't have another CPU, but hopefully the freezing has gone for good after the replacement motherboard.

ViN86
04-26-11, 01:22 AM
Hahah yeah we can rule out the memory and fingers crossed but i used the PC all day today with no freezes. I only got the PC back this morning. So i am thinking it was the motherboard because I would have had a freeze by now, touch wood, the freezing won't happen again!!!.
No I don't have another CPU, but hopefully the freezing has gone for good after the replacement motherboard.

Yea keep your fingers crossed. May have been the motherboard after all. Kind of lucky tbh, since it was up for replacement anyways. :)

Pennyboy
04-26-11, 02:39 AM
Yea keep your fingers crossed. May have been the motherboard after all. Kind of lucky tbh, since it was up for replacement anyways. :)

Yeah i reckon, glad to be rid of the potential SATA issue as well :). I really hope this is the end of the freezing. If not then next I will try the CPU, will need to take it back though as I dont have another one to try. So really hope its sorted as I can't be bothered taking it back lol