PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Onboard NIC. Hello Killer NIC 2100.

Pages : [1] 2

AngelGraves13
04-12-11, 03:18 AM
So I took the plunge and ordered a Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card.

Go ahead...tell me I'm wasting my money. Tell me it makes no difference. I've heard the same thing about onboard audio for many years, and my X-Fi makes a difference to me. It sounds clear, crisp, and doesn't have any noise .

Dedicated always trumps Onboard.

I'll let you know how it is this Friday.

K007
04-12-11, 05:31 AM
unlike audio, the nic has nothing special...that is indeed a total waste of money there.

how much is it anyway?

Yaboze
04-12-11, 11:29 AM
I heard they do make a difference, but not a huge amount. Pings are lower, etc.

bob saget
04-12-11, 11:36 AM
i'd love a mini-review. basically the difference between that one and onboard....

jkmetal
04-12-11, 01:39 PM
Found a review. It seems like it does help with ping, but not with file transfers.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/bigfoot-networks-killer-2100-gaming-network-card-review/

Q
04-12-11, 01:55 PM
Yes, you ARE wasting your money. But not because your "just replacing onboard" and that "its like the difference between onboard sound and a soundcard".

It's because you're paying through the mouth for a brand. Just get a nice server grade Intel NIC and save some cash. Or spend the same amount and get an incredible NIC.

ViN86
04-12-11, 02:03 PM
So I took the plunge and ordered a Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card.

Go ahead...tell me I'm wasting my money. Tell me it makes no difference. I've heard the same thing about onboard audio for many years, and my X-Fi makes a difference to me. It sounds clear, crisp, and doesn't have any noise .

Dedicated always trumps Onboard.

I'll let you know how it is this Friday.

It would have been wiser to buy an Intel Gigabit NIC instead, and those are only $30.

Roadhog
04-12-11, 02:27 PM
You do know intel nics are much better than that thing and about 1/10th the price?

Roliath
04-12-11, 02:29 PM
would have bought an intel nic

Go ahead...tell me I'm wasting my money.
Your wasting your money. (unless you got it for 30 bucks).

AngelGraves13
04-12-11, 04:59 PM
$50 is what it cost me.

I basically want it for the lower ping and to customize and prioritize my traffic for gaming over my torrent client and so on.

Roliath
04-12-11, 10:56 PM
$50 is what it cost me.

I basically want it for the lower ping and to customize and prioritize my traffic for gaming over my torrent client and so on.

What kind of router do you have?

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 01:15 AM
What kind of router do you have?

Netgear WNDR3700v1

It's not the best router for gaming though, I'll tell you that much. Who wants to go through the trouble of making profiles, which don't even work?

Roadhog
04-13-11, 01:35 AM
Netgear WNDR3700v1

It's not the best router for gaming though, I'll tell you that much. Who wants to go through the trouble of making profiles, which don't even work?

/facepalm... You do understand that once a packet leaves your modem there is nothing you can do to affect it?

You should put DDWRT on your router anyways.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 01:40 AM
/facepalm... You do understand that once a packet leaves your modem there is nothing you can do to affect it?

You should put DDWRT on your router anyways.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Of course I know that. /facepalm

I'm just saying a Gaming Router does NOTHING!

Roadhog
04-13-11, 01:43 AM
Of course I know that. /facepalm

I'm just saying a Gaming Router does NOTHING!

and neither does a Killer NIC. :p

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 01:53 AM
and neither does a Killer NIC. :p

Did you even read the review? Take 5 mins, use the gifts god has given you and read.

Roadhog
04-13-11, 02:02 AM
Did you even read the review? Take 5 mins, use the gifts god has given you and read.

Yeah, I read reviews that weren't paid off by BFN.
Like this one...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/09/02/killer-2100-gaming-network-card/1

0 difference.

Roliath
04-13-11, 02:54 AM
I really want to see your results when you get it. I wonder if you will even notice it, or if it will just be a placebo effect.

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 03:42 AM
I'll keep you posted.

If it really does nothing, I'll get a refund.

I know someone who has one and claims it helps his ping slightly. We'll see...

Here's another review

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/bigfoot-networks-killer-2100-gaming-network-card-review/

K007
04-13-11, 07:13 AM
Found a review. It seems like it does help with ping, but not with file transfers.

i like how the TF2 framerate almost doubles just using the killer nic 2100.
:headexplode:

K007
04-13-11, 07:25 AM
I'll keep you posted.

If it really does nothing, I'll get a refund.

I know someone who has one and claims it helps his ping slightly. We'll see...

Here's another review

thats the same review link on page 1 with the bs tf2 ping.

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 03:49 PM
thats the same review link on page 1 with the bs tf2 ping.

My ping in TF2 is pretty decent as long as I don't have anything downloading. Valve's games all have great ping and net code. It's other games that are written very poorly, like UT3 for example. That game actually shows some benefit from using the Killer NIC. Every little bit helps, even if it's a tiny bit.

I should have it tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it goes. If it helps offload the networking from the CPU, I should be able to get a few more FPS, and the ping should be a bit lower, so it can't hurt. I'll also test file transfers from my NAS to my computer and back.

Roadhog
04-13-11, 05:54 PM
My ping in TF2 is pretty decent as long as I don't have anything downloading. Valve's games all have great ping and net code. It's other games that are written very poorly, like UT3 for example. That game actually shows some benefit from using the Killer NIC. Every little bit helps, even if it's a tiny bit.

So, you're trying to say that a game dictates how your ping will be, instead of your distance from the server, how many hops, and what the traffic congestion is like?

I should have it tomorrow, and I'll let you know how it goes. If it helps offload the networking from the CPU, I should be able to get a few more FPS, and the ping should be a bit lower, so it can't hurt. I'll also test file transfers from my NAS to my computer and back.

I guess 8 threads can't handle <20kb/s of network traffic. So you need to offload that .01% cpu load because games bring the CPU to 100% load...

AngelGraves13
04-13-11, 09:06 PM
So, you're trying to say that a game dictates how your ping will be, instead of your distance from the server, how many hops, and what the traffic congestion is like?

I guess 8 threads can't handle <20kb/s of network traffic. So you need to offload that .01% cpu load because games bring the CPU to 100% load...

My Realtek onboard NIC uses about 10 to 12% CPU. I've tested it already. If it was 0.01% I wouldn't give a ****, but it's not...it's ~10% which can make a noticeable difference, and offloading that will net me some fps and lower my ping.

Realtek is a pretty lousy company. Their onboard audio hisses when the network is in use, and their onboard NIC has ping issues. Intel's NIC is much better, but sadly mine came built-in with Realtek. Maybe it was ASUS's choice to save a few dollars.

There's actually an ASUS motherboard with built-in Killer NIC, but there's no point in upgrading a motherboard when Intel's X79 is right around the corner.

Roadhog
04-14-11, 02:34 AM
My Realtek onboard NIC uses about 10 to 12% CPU. I've tested it already. If it was 0.01% I wouldn't give a ****, but it's not...it's ~10% which can make a noticeable difference, and offloading that will net me some fps and lower my ping.

Realtek is a pretty lousy company. Their onboard audio hisses when the network is in use, and their onboard NIC has ping issues. Intel's NIC is much better, but sadly mine came built-in with Realtek. Maybe it was ASUS's choice to save a few dollars.

There's actually an ASUS motherboard with built-in Killer NIC, but there's no point in upgrading a motherboard when Intel's X79 is right around the corner.

Yours must be broken... I have two Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) on my motherboard and they work perfectly. I always have the lowest ping at LAN parties, or the same as the lowest.

Also, it uses 10-12% in what? Copying a huge file over gigabit? Dunno what to tell you there, mine doesn't break 3% cpu load when I do that.